Author Topic: I feel like a ****... I think I should just suck it up and get a topre  (Read 29730 times)

Offline ironman31

Just got this cherry blue filco last week and i figured i try it out at school. but of course the "group study" floor of the library is never really used for group studying, instead it's so quiet you can hear a pin drop. It makes me feel even more awkward now that a girl just sat in the cubicle directly in front of me. I tried the GHSS last week. I guess what you think isn't that loud at home is ten fold in this type of environment.

Are topres as quiet as say.. my netbook keyboard? It seems all the audio clips I have ever heard of all the keyboards I own don't do them justice as how they sound in the real world.

Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
I feel like a ****... I think I should just suck it up and get a topre
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 10:24:06 »
Yesterday I was typing in a quiet computer lab on my HHKB and I felt like I was standing out. Then again, because no one else was typing stuff, I think the same effect would have been achieved if I had typed on a rubber dome keyboard...

They are louder than a rubber dome/scissor switch keyboard, but not by that much. Whether they are really suitable in quiet rooms depends on how cranky the people the other people are.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 10:26:39 »
Just get the Topre and stop wishing you had one.  In fact, get a HHKB.  The girl in front of you will think it's cute.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 10:36:51 »
Unless you are typing vigorously, the main noise from the Topre boards is the keycaps moving. The HHKB is slightly louder than the Realforce in this respect (at least mine is.) The advantage is that there is no switch noise, so it sounds like keyboards that 'normal' people are used to, so they are less likely to find it intrusive. And you can type pretty quietly if you slow down.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 10:45:09 »
Quote from: Rajagra;197174
Unless you are typing vigorously, the main noise from the Topre boards is the keycaps moving. The HHKB is slightly louder than the Realforce in this respect (at least mine is.) The advantage is that there is no switch noise, so it sounds like keyboards that 'normal' people are used to, so they are less likely to find it intrusive. And you can type pretty quietly if you slow down.

This. Even my Cherry G80s are quieter than the average rubber dome.  Topres, IME, are a little quieter than that (maybe not a scissor-switch, though).  Raj is right, though, the RF is a little quieter.  I also chalk that up to the RF needing a little less force than the HHKB, but that's just my opinion.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 10:48:50 »
I think this cubicle makes it resonate a lot more, too. No one has said anything yet, but that could be because they, too, don't want to feel like ****s.

And I think im going to get a topre board, but I'd like to wait for a tenkeyless realforce to come back on elitekeyboards
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 10:53:26 »
You have to remember, too, that people these days are pretty used to keyboard noise.  Unless you are using something that is unusually loud (ALPS, BS, blue Cherrys, etc.), most people won't even really notice.  A Topre will be more than adequate sound-wise in an office/school setting, especially if others are using PCs as well.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 10:54:00 »
This is one of my friends filming a classmate using a typewriter in class at Georgia Tech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4nwe7cW_og
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 10:58:39 »
That's funny.  When I was in college, we didn't even have laptops.  They existed, of course (I'm not that old), they were just prohibitively expensive at the time.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 11:02:27 »
Quote from: ironman31;197183
This is one of my friends filming a classmate using a typewriter in class at Georgia Tech

Did he feel like a ****?  Or was he having some fun?  Not sure one would want to piss off the teacher.

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 11:05:56 »
When school starts again I'm going to take my 1391401 to school, just to piss people off.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 11:23:48 »
Quote from: itlnstln;197171
Just get the Topre and stop wishing you had one.  In fact, get a HHKB.  The girl in front of you will think it's cute.

How do you like your HHKB now that you have used it for a while?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 11:35:15 »
I still really like the layout, but I wish it felt more like my RF numpad; smoother and lighter. The keycaps are tits, too. It pretty much stays on my desk as my daily driver these days.  I wouldn't mind getting an older Realforce (if someone were to ever sell one at a decent price) and swap out the domes for a lighter resistance.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 11:37:17 »
Quote from: ironman31;197183

Are you serious? That clip is famous, he was one of your friends? lol
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline ironman31

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 11:54:03 »
Quote from: chimera15;197202
Are you serious? That clip is famous, he was one of your friends? lol

The kid doing it isn't a friend, the kid I know was in the class
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 12:01:35 »
Quote from: ripster;197209
ItlnStln liked the HHKB so much he tried to sell it.

Of course it was a half hearted effort so he priced it high.

LOL
I've not been here in a long long time.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 12:06:34 »

True.  I was planning on getting another Filco.  Every time I go back and use a regular keyboard, I keep wanting to go back to the HHKB layout, so I took Ripster's advice and kept it.  I still really enjoy it, but I get jealous of the RF Topres on the numpad.  One day, I might get a RF 103, but since the layout is the main draw of the HHKB, I think it would be a bad purchase.  I just hope the HHKB Pro 3 feels more like the RF.

Offline kriminal

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 12:16:35 »

>_> there was a price? Oo
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 12:22:44 »
Quote from: ripster;197218
Where IS that HHKB Pro 3???

Those Topre engineers keep doing Yellow/Blue/Red keys.  I mean WHERE is their job security in doing that?

They're too busy making keychains.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 12:35:23 »
Quote from: itlnstln;197217
True.  I was planning on getting another Filco.  Every time I go back and use a regular keyboard, I keep wanting to go back to the HHKB layout, so I took Ripster's advice and kept it.  I still really enjoy it, but I get jealous of the RF Topres on the numpad.  One day, I might get a RF 103, but since the layout is the main draw of the HHKB, I think it would be a bad purchase.  I just hope the HHKB Pro 3 feels more like the RF.

I don't know the difference between th HHKP and the Topre as I only have a Realforce 103. That being said, I've been wanting to try a Filco with blue cherries. But, I won't be buying any keyboard this year. I bought too many of them last year and this year I spent too much on pen and paper. Maybe next year.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 12:40:07 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;197241
I don't know the difference between th HHKP and the Topre as I only have a Realforce 103.

For some reason, the RF feels a little smoother and lighter than the HHKB for switches of the same resistance (45g.).  While there hasn't been a whole lot of research or "scientific" comparisons done, others have felt the same phenomenon, notably lam47.  On the surface, the reason behind this isn't apparent, but it probably has something to do with the steel plate used in the RF vs. the plastic molding in the HHKB as otherwise, they are pretty much identical.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 12:52:45 »
Quote from: itlnstln;197185
That's funny.  When I was in college, we didn't even have laptops.  They existed, of course (I'm not that old), they were just prohibitively expensive at the time.
When I started University, they didn't even have pocket calculators! But they came out, prohibitively expensive, before I graduated. And then I could finally afford one while I was a grad student.

In fact, they did have portable computers too when I was a grad student, although I couldn't call them laptops. I remember reading about the MCM 70 (a small APL computer; someone here posted a photo of one in a museum) and I remember an IBM salesman coming down to demonstrate the amazing new IBM 5100 computer.

Even when I was born, they already had computers - made from vacuum tubes, yes, but they were electronic computers even with real core memory! So I'm not that old! Really.

In fact, by the time I was old enough to read, they were using transistors in computers. I remember a picture of an IBM 1401 from the How and Why Wonder Book of Robots and Electronic Brains.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 13:02:21 »
I use a brown cherry keyboard in my Uni library. Blues would be a bit too much.

It's all about the pitch.
keyboards!

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 13:03:18 »
Oh, best thread title evar.
keyboards!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 13:09:21 »
It's got ****, sucking, and talks about rubbers all in one.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 13:25:46 »

Ja, tell me more about zee keyboards
keyboards!

Offline ironman31

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 13:37:16 »
turns out the girl had earbuds in the whole time. Guess I didn't have to worry too much about it after all. Now I just have 3 hours till my Unix class at 530... been here since 11....
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 14:01:33 »
See?  She was ignoring you anyway.  You had nothing to worry about.  

UNIX class, huh?  Do yourself a favor and get an HHKB.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 15:01:46 »
Sorry to rain on your parade, but if you spend $400 on a keyboard, chances are that most girls will ignore you.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 15:06:33 »
While $400 is a wild exaggeration, I think I actually agree with you for once.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 15:13:49 »
I wasn't exactly sure of the price but I knew it was pretty hefty.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 15:19:46 »
Quote from: ironman31;197211
The kid doing it isn't a friend, the kid I know was in the class

Did the guy with the typewriter have a rep as a loser? If you're going to pull a stunt like that, at least have some skills in the typing department.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 15:27:33 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;197295
Sorry to rain on your parade, but if you spend $400 on a keyboard, chances are that most girls will ignore you.

Yeah, girls prefer cheap rubber domes.

Erm... ripster's humour is getting to me.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 15:39:43 »
You need classes to learn Unix? In our college, it's assumed that you know it...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 15:54:21 »
Quote from: ch_123;197313
You need classes to learn Unix? In our college, it's assumed that you know it...

I think that was the problem I had in Computer Science in college.  I was under the impression that I was going to learn about Computer Science.  Little did I know classes were just a place for people that already knew everything about CS to come and socialize.  I switched majors shortly after that.

Offline unicomp

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 15:58:44 »
On the plus side, when people see how expensive your keyboard was, they will flock to you in search of friendship. I am currently using a HHKB Pro 2; the switches are nice and somewhat quiet as long as you don't strike too hard.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 16:08:03 »
Quote from: unicomp;197325
On the plus side, when people see how expensive your keyboard was, they will flock to you in search of friendship. I am currently using a HHKB Pro 2; the switches are nice and somewhat quiet as long as you don't strike too hard.

Really?  People look at me like some kind of retard.  It's the number one reason I do not evangelize keyboards.  I dismiss the topic and move on.  Most people do not share our enthusiasm.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 16:13:20 »
Yeah, she was on her way to the bathroom and she asked if she could borrow an iPad.

I bet the person that sent the e-mail was a girl.  I keep my own magical device in my pants.

Offline unicomp

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 16:21:01 »
Quote from: itlnstln;197331
Really?  People look at me like some kind of retard.  It's the number one reason I do not evangelize keyboards.  I dismiss the topic and move on.  Most people do not share our enthusiasm.

Sarcasm, given that most people would not know how much a quality board would cost and unless one is somewhat odd it is not likely that the first thing one says to a persons is "hello, my keyboard costs $300".

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 16:24:44 »
Quote from: ripster;197345
Actually my kid's friends think my trackballs are awesome.  I tell them not to mention anything to their parents though or it may be misconstrued.

If I was your kid, I'd be complaining to you why you have so many IBM keyboards and no IBM computers!
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 16:26:09 »
Sorry I missed the sarcasm there.  Needs more over-the-top and ridiculousness.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 16:28:38 »
I'd get an IBM computer, but they don't have anything I can afford.  Besides that, I don't have any room for a mainframe.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 16:32:25 »
Given that later IBM PCs more than likely came out of the same factories as HPs, Dells etc etc and were probably made to the same spec, If I take some HP computer and wrote "IBM" on it with a permanent marker, do I have an IBM PC?

The irony is that EIBM has no interest in the interesting stuff that IBM made/makes, only the useless, overpriced ****.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 16:56:54 »
It's a shame, because what hardware they have left is still very interesting indeed...

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 17:31:29 »
Killer thread title.  

I'd really like to try a silent Topre at work.  The idea of ferociously banging away on a with maniacal expressions in complete silence is appealing to me.   Does anyone know if they are selling many of them across the globe?
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline ironman31

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 19:53:43 »
Well as far as getting the hhkb for unix, I don't think ill be using unix too much. My major is computer engineering, not comp sci.

And I have a girlfriend that understands my hobbies. If she doubts them at first I just tell her I spend my money on things I enjoy. My friends are the one that don't really understand having more than one keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 June 2010, 09:44:54 by ironman31 »
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline gr1m

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 20:24:27 »
Do your friends understand your desire to suck a **** up?

Offline ironman31

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 21:24:20 »
I don't think they do. no.
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 01:01:56 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;197295

I'll bet you and your BFF eIBM have alot of experience with girls ignoring you.  You've never spent $400 bucks for a keyboard so you really aren't qualifed to predict how the opposite sex would react.

It's more reasonable to assume that girls just tend to ignore you both in general.  Why don't you tell us how girls react when you tell them about the exciting Model M you found in the dumpster.  I'll bet that's a sure bet for getting laid!

By the way, in your case, BFF doesn't stand for "Best Friends Forever".  I'm sure you're smart enough to figure out BFF, as it applies to you and your pal, takes on a slightly different meaning.    I'll give you a hint... the "B" stands for butt..   ;)

Oh, I'm only kidding. Just having fun with the children. :)
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 06:24:41 »
Quote from: maxlugar;197455
I'll bet you and your BFF eIBM have alot of experience with girls ignoring you.  You've never spent $400 bucks for a keyboard so you really aren't qualifed to predict how the opposite sex would react.

It's more reasonable to assume that girls just tend to ignore you both in general.  Why don't you tell us how girls react when you tell them about the exciting Model M you found in the dumpster.  I'll bet that's a sure bet for getting laid!

By the way, in your case, BFF doesn't stand for "Best Friends Forever".  I'm sure you're smart enough to figure out BFF, as it applies to you and your pal, takes on a slightly different meaning.    I'll give you a hint... the "B" stands for butt..   ;)

Oh, I'm only kidding. Just having fun with the children. :)

Most of my female friends think my keyboards are cool if they see them. I just don't talk about them, or tell them how much they cost :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 June 2010, 13:18:43 by ch_123 »