Author Topic: Greetings from Berlin  (Read 1810 times)

Offline maschine

Greetings from Berlin
« on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 03:59:56 »
Hi everybody,

very excited to be here, really. Like other countries, Germany is mostly locked down so that I have plenty of time to get back to old hobbies such as mechanical keyboards. It feels fresh and familiar at the same time which is awesome:)
I started like 5 or 6 years ago with a HHKB and blank keycaps and really liked the topre switches but the lack of ctrl got to me after a while and I got back  to an... (alright, I get it when you ban me now:) Apple magic keyboard. Before my mk time I typed countless of drafts with my 2012 MacBook Air and was super familiar and quite fast with it. Anyway, I don't remember the reason but I end up using a Corsair with MX Reds since a few years. I love the switches but I really don't know why I bought this keyboard because it's quite ugly tbh haha... Usually I don't work in home-office but now during the lockdown I realized how badly designed myCorsair case really it.

Well, when I re-entered this rabbit hole I immediately felt in love with a keycap set which I bought right away on Reddit but still looking around for a case - I've got almost 20 years of 3D background (Cinema 4D, Zbrush etc.) but I'm quite new to CAD, maybe it comes handy to finally design my own case and get even deeper into the rabbit hole...

However, glad to be here and looking forward to some nice chats.

Stay safe.

maschine

Offline Maledicted

Re: Greetings from Berlin
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 16:20:54 »
Hi maschine. I know that I'm late, but welcome to Geekhack.

Is there a mod monitoring this post? We need a permaban, stat. Joking ... mostly. You've seen the light and returned to real keyboards.

What model Corsair have you got? What are the design's shortcomings? I love the K65s and K70s. I like the industrial/austere aesthetics. I know some of the newer ones are pretty hideous. My first modern mechanical was a K70 with Cherry MX reds myself, I still use it for gaming.

What sort of case would you like? What layout/form factor? I would probably ask about a case matching your specifications in the keyboards section. I do know there are at least a few people on here who 3D print cases.

Stay safe yourself. We've got it easy in the states. So long as we can actually stick with the program, we've got very little risk of spillover from countries that may allow Covid to resurge. I imagine being in the heart of Europe would have some unique challenges in that regard.

Offline maschine

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 04:17:50 »
Glad to see you in another thread haha - my current setup is exactly this, a K70 with MX Red. Works pretty well but it's certainly not something fancy for the connoisseurs of the mk world but it is doing the job... which is good, and bad:) However, I do much prefer the MX Red over my old Topres, linear switches is definitely for me.

But for my new mk, was looking for something which has a timeless beauty to it like the classic products from Braun designed by Dieter Rams so I ended up designing the "Gerät Eins", first and foremost for myself but received nice feedback along the way from friends, mostly graphic designers, who'd also like to own it. So let's see where my project goes. Btw. the dial was also inspired by the wheel from the K70 because it's just so handy and functional that I don't want to miss it, just put it on the other side so my right hand can still use the mouse or Wacom pen.

Stay safe too man - Germany is also pretty "relaxed", unlike Italy and Spain where the situation is much more crucial. However, there's much less designer jobs for me around so I have plenty of time to work on my keyboard haha...

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 09:45:51 »
I'm pretty active on here, so you'll see me around, depending on the section. I'm a heretic. I think the aesthetics and build quality of the K65 and K70 are fantastic. I plan to modify at least 3-4 of them to my liking to replace the MX switches. I already have a K65 with box navies in it. The only major problem is the non-standard cap sizes, which I think is where most of the hate for them comes from. You like MX red over Topre? Interesting, considering all of the hype around Topre. I have no opinion myself, never tried Topre. I do think that linears are the strong point of the MX design though. I like Kailh's box reds more than the MX reds. Smoother, maybe even a touch heavier, which is good since MX reds seem just too light. I can rest my fingers on them and they might actuate.

What switches have you tried? I'm a clicky guy myself.

I think you're filling a niche that is pretty starved with that design in the custom/premium board arena, a relatively compact board that has a rotary encoder. I wish the K65 had a slider like the K70, and you typically don't see them at all on anything even as large as a TKL. There are things like the Satisfaction 75, which I want if they ever become obtainable, but choices are very slim. That explains your encoder's location. I was going to ask otherwise.

That's the thing though, I hope nobody becomes complacent. I see it here already. Numbers are down so everybody wants to open everything back up already. It doesn't make any sense, not until we're sure we've wiped it out entirely in our country, or have obtained a vaccine.

You could design some novel masks, or something. They say hepa filters and vacuum bags work almost as well as proper N95 masks. It would be nice to see something that incorporates a relatively common/universal filter or bag of the sort.  I don't know about there, but there are a lot of people literally just buying up fabric and thread and pumping out a bunch of home-made masks to sell for a few bucks each.

Offline maschine

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 10:25:04 »
Cool to see that you're pretty into Corsair's K-range. I had both the K65 and the K70 but eventually decided for the latter because of the num block which I needed for work. I only used/tried Topre and most of the MX switches and then decided to go linear and never regret. I'll check out those Kailh's reds that you mentioned. I will try to get my hands on more switches anyway as soon as I have the plate ready which is now still in progress with deflection simulations and generative design.

Yea, Satisfaction 75 would be nice to have and it's also on my list but for 1k the price is pretty steep - I can't justify it especially in those times haha. Parallelly to the Gerät Eins I was also working on a 75 board with rotary encoder and a relatively flat angle but haven't found a nice solution for the weights and generell design aesthetics yet because the weight like on the Eins wouldn't work without to make the bezel even deeper on the back because the F-row takes away quite a lot of space.

Yea, my mum has a small clothing store and she started to sell some diy masks to compensate the weak business nowadays, harsh times man - I feel privileged that I can sit at home and design keyboards haha...

Offline ebastler

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 10:36:08 »
Another one living in Berlin? Nice!

I see that you're designing a really cool keeb. Good luck with your design!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 10:53:52 »
I have always been able to get away just fine with the alphanumeric block for numbers and I'm pretty fast in that regard. Maybe not as fast as someone that's very accustomed to the numb pad. I also have longer fingers than average, so I'm sure that factors in.

If you're dead set on linears I know people seem to be going for more of the boutique switches now, like Alpacas and Telios. Novelkeys Cream comes up a lot too, partly because of the materials they're composed of and how they inherently aid in lower friction. Box reds are just the best of the MX compatibles that I have person felt before. I have heard one opinion just recently though where somebody preferred box reds to Creams, so I wonder if they just haven't been given a shot by most linear diehards yet.

If MX blues are all you've tried of clickies, I could see why you may not yet have any interest. I typed happily away on them for years on K70s, but then I discovered capacitive buckling spring, and then Alps SKCM, and then box thick clicks. Now the best way I can describe MX blues is that it feels and sounds like typing on plastic grocery bags. Even the cheap Outemu knockoff blues feel and sound better than the real deal, and most random dead clicky designs of decades past feel better as well. I would give box jades and navies a chance, and other lighter clickbar variants (I haven't gotten to try pinks yet myself, although they're also nice and bassy like jades).

They're running 1k on the used market? Wow. lol. Scalpers. I don't know if this might factor in for you, but I know that material and volume of space within the case are both factors in how a completed keyboard sounds as far as pitch and resonance.

Good for her. I wish everyone would wear them. I think a national requirement for literally everyone to wear them in public would do countries a lot of good, as it seems that somebody who has COVID just wearing a mask, of any kind, significantly reduces the chance of communication of the virus.

Offline maschine

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 11:39:41 »
replied to your post on the Gerät Eins thread because it gets technical and quite related to the board - hope you don't mind:)