Author Topic: I've spent too much time around you guys  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Phaedrus2129

I've spent too much time around you guys
« on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 13:30:17 »
Last night I had a dream that I found a NIB Model F AT and something with pink Alps and I sold them on ebay to some crazy Japanese collector for $5000, so I bought a bunch of HHKBs.

I'm getting out of here, you guys are a bad influence.

jk
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 13:34:51 »
I think I had a few dreams of getting some IBM keyboards, but, heh, I guess that's normal for me. I wouldn't sell them of course -- I do give away some good stuff to friends.

Wouldn't a model M15 NIB go more than a model F AT NIB?
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 13:42:30 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:45:22 by mr_a500 »

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 13:45:20 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;197273
I think I had a few dreams of getting some IBM keyboards, but, heh, I guess that's normal for me. I wouldn't sell them of course -- I do give away some good stuff to friends.

Wouldn't a model M15 NIB go more than a model F AT NIB?

Maybe, but I dreamed about a Model F.

I did remember typing on them... The Model F felt like a heavy Model M, and the pink Alps felt like a G81 for some reason...
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline J888www

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 15:36:16 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;197270

I'm getting out of here, you guys are a bad influence.

You're not going anywhere, you are already addicted and this addiction have no cure. You can run away, but you cannot hide from yourself, you will always return. This is now your home, forever.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 15:49:53 »
Quote from: mr_a500;197277
Strange.... I had a dream last week where I was looking at a ratty old keyboard and I said, "That ****ing sucks."

I then woke up, realized it was just a dream, then thought, "Hmm... I was right. It did ****ing suck."

No no no, you had a dream that all of your computers broke, and the only one left was your cool IBM server:

the black monolith is my "new" IBM server running BeOS and there's an awesome clicky 1984 IBM AT keyboard...
Monolith? Nahhh... it's only a tiny IBM. The one I have is bigger than that. IBM refers to those as the minitowers.

That's one cool looking computer -- couldn't you have got a more clearer shot? Who cares about the stupid mac.

The black IBM server is the first PC I ever bought in my life (though I previously had a few free ones). I bought it two weeks ago and it cost me $30. I felt bad about paying for a PC, but it has SCSI and is compatible with BeOS (BeOS can be seen on the monitor). It also matches my IBM AT keyboard and 20" IBM monitor (which was free)
Now THAT'S a cool CRT. And why do you have a model M under your desk? Gosh, so many computers that they're starting to migrate under the desks as well.

$30 is pretty cheap... but since you didn't order from IBM, I presume you don't have the backup discs that IBM provides. And I'd like a free 20" IBM CRT.
Let me tell you, if you haven't tried a 1984 clicky IBM AT keyboard, you haven't really lived. It kicks ass!
Of course it does... it's IBM. All IBM stuff is good.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 June 2010, 15:57:30 by EverythingIBM »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 16:25:45 »
What's the system below the Mac and the Indy?

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 16:30:35 »
Quote from: ch_123;197349
What's the system below the Mac and the Indy?

It's some amiga, the A200?

He calls it the ugliest amiga ever made... yeah that's ugly alright, disgusting piss yellow.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 17:09:46 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;197357
It's some amiga, the A200?

He calls it the ugliest amiga ever made... yeah that's ugly alright, disgusting piss yellow.

Looks like an Amiga 2000 to me.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 18:22:50 »
Weird... a thread hijacked by my posts without me doing it. :wink:

Quote from: EverythingIBM;197318
No no no, you had a dream that all of your computers broke, and the only one left was your cool IBM server:
That would ****ing suck. I'd rather have my IBM server run over by a dump truck than get a single scratch on my beloved Amiga 500. I do love my IBM AT Model F keyboard, but the PC itself is disposable.

Quote from: EverythingIBM;197318
Now THAT'S a cool CRT. And why do you have a model M under your desk? Gosh, so many computers that they're starting to migrate under the desks as well.
I moved that Model M on top of my IBM 5155, but I've got another beside the desk with a Apple Extended. Yes, too many computers, too many keyboards...

Of course it does... it's IBM. All IBM stuff is good.
Not all IBM design is good - far from it. For example, the PCI slots in this PC are meant to snap cards in, with no way to use a screw to hold the card in. It's nice in theory (quick change with no screws), but utterly stupid in reality - the cards constantly pop out. The BIOS on this computer is the slowest I've ever seen in my life. I can fully boot the Amiga 500 and be browsing the internet before the BIOS on the PC is even finished.

Quote from: EverythingIBM;197357
Yes, it's an Amiga 2000. It's not piss yellow - more of a puke brownish-beige. It's not really that ugly. I've seen far uglier PCs.

Now... back to keyboard dreams... :sleep:

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 20:52:25 »
I totally understand about the dream thingy.

But I'm very happy to report that I still mostly dream about ex-girlfriends, current girlfriends, and soon-to-be girlfriends.

I always wake up happy.  :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline gr1m

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 21:41:19 »
Quote from: ripster;197275
Do OCN members have nightmares about PRIME95 and ITB crashing while they are sleeping?
Show Image

Furmark is more likely to show up in nightmares. A flaming, hairy ****ing doughnut from hell staring you in the eye for about 20 minutes until your video card's VRMs hit 127C and you're forced to lose the staredown to prevent it from catching fire - yeah, Furmark is scary.

Oh, I also have nightmares about missing charges in L4D2:
Not a valid youtube URL

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 23:09:35 »
Quote from: mr_a500;197390

Not all IBM design is good - far from it. For example, the PCI slots in this PC are meant to snap cards in, with no way to use a screw to hold the card in. It's nice in theory (quick change with no screws), but utterly stupid in reality - the cards constantly pop out. The BIOS on this computer is the slowest I've ever seen in my life. I can fully boot the Amiga 500 and be browsing the internet before the BIOS on the PC is even finished.

My IBM computers both have screws AND snap-in mechanisms. I've never seen one with only the snap-in mechanism; and they vary from computer to computer.

Quote from: mr_a500;197390

That would ****ing suck. I'd rather have my IBM server run over by a dump truck than get a single scratch on my beloved Amiga 500. I do love my IBM AT Model F keyboard, but the PC itself is disposable.

I'm not sure I'd classify a server as a "PC". I never thought of my intellistations as PCs; they're certainly not like most computers.
Yeah the BIOS loads on them is kind of slow, BUT, I noticed on more consumer-ranged computers it's a lot faster (my thinkcentre has such amazing boot times and loads that my CRT can't even turn on by the time it's in windows; and the BIOS loads even faster). So, my best guess is that the higher-end machines have more to load or something.

Not to salt any wounds since I like the amigas, but, the amiga 500 was created as a budget machine. But, what was budget back then is high-quality today I guess.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 09:55:22 »
@gr1m

Your avatar is starting to give me nightmares.... a penis with legs and teeth... very scary indeed.

Quote from: EverythingIBM;197442
Not to salt any wounds since I like the amigas, but, the amiga 500 was created as a budget machine. But, what was budget back then is high-quality today I guess.

Yes, it's budget - but in 1987, this $700 computer could do things that weren't even possible with PCs or Macs that were 6X more expensive. The keyboard wasn't as good as the Mac or IBM PC of the time - but I'm hoping to one day make a buckling spring A500 keyboard with black double-shot keycaps. That's my dream, anyway. :spy:

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 10:55:38 »
Old computers... Oldest computer currently in use at my house is my Athlon XP 2600+ workshop computer. And I've even overclocked that.

It's all about the speeeeeeed...

Offline mcdonc

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 01:27:28 »
Damn that A1000 is beautiful...
Owned: bunches of Model Ms,  Model F AT, Dell AT101W, Amiga 500.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 01:38:09 »
Well I have geekhack to thank for convincing me to buy a plethora of keyboards even though I was already satisfied with my Unicomp and Cherry boards before I even found this place.

I don't dream about keyboards, but I do take a closer look at every POS keyboard I see now...
People give me strange looks when I ask them whether I can take a picture of it :P.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 12:13:13 »
Quote from: mr_a500;197549

Yes, it's budget - but in 1987, this $700 computer could do things that weren't even possible with PCs or Macs that were 6X more expensive. The keyboard wasn't as good as the Mac or IBM PC of the time - but I'm hoping to one day make a buckling spring A500 keyboard with black double-shot keycaps. That's my dream, anyway. :spy:

Well of course, IBM and Apple weren't exactly in the creativity department, commodore realized the potential for home users and proper graphical & audio equipment.
The Atari ST was ahead when they released integrated MIDI ports, that I must say was a very smart idea. It would also save up an extra PCI card.

Now all of this is taken for granted.

Although, after everyone caught up with the amiga's standards, it kind of killed it, like what happened to 3dfx and their 3D cards. Soon as the other guys catch up, the race is over.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 12:16:42 »
Quote from: mcdonc;197849
Damn that A1000 is beautiful...

My A1000 isn't beautiful, at least not aesthetically.  It's beautiful in the sense that I got it free because the case was somewhat damaged in a fire but it works fine, :wink:

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 22:39:51 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;197442
My IBM computers both have screws AND snap-in mechanisms. I've never seen one with only the snap-in mechanism; and they vary from computer to computer.

I'm not sure I'd classify a server as a "PC". I never thought of my intellistations as PCs; they're certainly not like most computers.
Yeah the BIOS loads on them is kind of slow, BUT, I noticed on more consumer-ranged computers it's a lot faster (my thinkcentre has such amazing boot times and loads that my CRT can't even turn on by the time it's in windows; and the BIOS loads even faster). So, my best guess is that the higher-end machines have more to load or something.

Lots of diagnostics for the expensive machines.

I've got an IBM 44P-270 (not-so-big-iron) system that takes a ton of tests, but once it is up, it is up.  Try testing about 15GB of memory, 512MB at a time, down to the revision level of the memory chips.  Then all of the hardware around it.  All that takes about 5-10 minutes to completely POST, but if it's going to fail, it isn't going to fail during production use.

For what that's worth, that's relatively short in the IBM big-iron arena.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 June 2010, 23:19:15 by sethstorm »
Current:
IBM: Model M: 1391401, 1386887 Terminal 122 Key 
IBM: Model F: 6110668 Terminal 122 key with Trackpoint and M13 blacks
IBM: Specialty: Wheelwriter 5, Boltmodded.  AT F layout, M technology. 
Lexmark/IBM: M13 Black Trackpoint
NCR:HO150-STD1-01-17 Decision Mate V - The other Gray NCR linear.