Author Topic: My macropad doesn't have mechanical switches yet but it works!  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Thomas73951

240033-0

This is a prototype that I put together, it's a diode matrix with ordinary buttons on stripboard and breadboard but it runs qmk. I originally wired all the keys up neatly but I found the 'numpad 20' in the qmk configurator and re-wired it to match that. Works great with my phone via a usb otg cable and with windows as long as I don't use the usb passthrough port on my keyboard as windows doesn't like that and my keyboard and mouse (also connected to the passthrough usb port) stop working until I restart.

I plan to make a pcb, laser cut plywood case and use mechanical switches.

Offline yui

Re: My macropad doesn't have mechanical switches yet but it works!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 09:13:41 »
nice work, for the pass-through it might be that you are using too much current and so the usb port gets into over-current protection and cut power, i have had that problem if i plug in a model M and my sound card on the same hub on the normal power ports, on high currant ports it does not cause problems.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Thomas73951

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 09:23:18 »
nice work, for the pass-through it might be that you are using too much current and so the usb port gets into over-current protection and cut power, i have had that problem if i plug in a model M and my sound card on the same hub on the normal power ports, on high currant ports it does not cause problems.

Hmm that's probably right. There are two usb ports on the back of my keyboard and they're rated for 500mA (idk if its combined or each) and my mouse says that it draws 500mA now that I look at it so that's probably the issue then. I'll just have to get a longer cable and plug it into my computer as I like to easily remove my mouse and take it with me. Thanks for the help.

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 04:12:53 »
500 mA is what a usb2 port on the computer is meant to supply, some are capable of more (charging ports etc...), so it would be combined but i have never seen a mouse drawing that much current but then i have no rgb or other fancy stuff on my mice so yeah possible.

Offline Thomas73951

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 07:15:32 »
240097-0
I have the second generation g502 from logitech and I always have the rgb on although LEDs don't draw much current at all so I'm not sure how it would draw 500mA. I'm not entirely sure what the 500mA represents, whether its maximum, minimum or normal operating current.

I tried moving my keyboard to be plugged into a usb 3.1 port and it doesn't seem to be tripping any over current protection with a backlit keyboard, mouse with rgb and the macropad which means I don't need a rather long usb cable for it. I'm guessing it didn't quite have enough power from one usb 2 port for all 3 devices. I used to have an xbox controller in the second usb passthrough port and that was fine, and that says 5v 400mA.
Thanks for the help :)

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 01:39:06 »
current written on devices is always their maximum rating if not stated otherwise, and yeah 1 low brightness LED does not consume much current but when you you multiply the 2 to 3 mA per LED by 104(keys)*3(R+G+B) + what is in your mouse, at max brightness you may be quite close to the 500mA.