Author Topic: Model M/F metal cases?  (Read 2182 times)

Offline gnho

Model M/F metal cases?
« on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 22:24:14 »
Hi all-

I'm a bit curious about why there's no GB for Model M/F case, like the Ryan Norbauer of Buckling Spring. Model M owners, would you be interested in having a premium metal case? Sometimes I wonder how a Model M would sound if it has a zinc case similar to that of the Modern Model F.

Offline Maledicted

Re: Model M/F metal cases?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 14:17:31 »
Hi all-

I'm a bit curious about why there's no GB for Model M/F case, like the Ryan Norbauer of Buckling Spring. Model M owners, would you be interested in having a premium metal case? Sometimes I wonder how a Model M would sound if it has a zinc case similar to that of the Modern Model F.

The F62 and F77 cases start at just over $100. I have seriously considered ordering extras, if even just to try to handwire a Cherry or Alps board in. I imagine, at those prices, people would be very interested in both. If it is $400, like a Norbauer case ... they might as well just get a complete F62 or F77. It is going to feel better than an M, and last longer.

Offline gnho

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 08:55:05 »
Hi all-

The F62 and F77 cases start at just over $100. I have seriously considered ordering extras, if even just to try to handwire a Cherry or Alps board in. I imagine, at those prices, people would be very interested in both. If it is $400, like a Norbauer case ... they might as well just get a complete F62 or F77. It is going to feel better than an M, and last longer.

Actually, it is a great idea! The case of F62 should fit a regular 60% PCB, right? How would you mount the PCB and the plate though?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 09:13:01 »
Hi all-

Actually, it is a great idea! The case of F62 should fit a regular 60% PCB, right? How would you mount the PCB and the plate though?

Actually, I never thought about trying to adapt an F62 case for an existing 60% PCB. That's, honestly, your idea. lol. If you designed a plate to line up with the Model F plate sandwich, I imagine that would be half of the battle. I suppose it may need some bends to get it as high as most people might want it. As far as mounting the pcb, who knows? I have a 60% in the mail, but I have never done the LEGO board thing. Maybe some holes could be drilled through the plate in order to attach the board to the plate itself with some machine screws and nuts? I imagine it would have to be pretty thick and rigid then though. Otherwise, attach the board to the plate, and shim beneath it in places that might flex?

I was just thinking of having a plate made to fit the F77 case and handwiring some switches.

Offline gnho

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 14:19:32 »
I have an F77 and a 60% PCB with me and the PCB appears to fit the left compartment rather well. I wonder whether I can get a top mount plate and attach it to the case. How would you fit a cherry or alps board in the F77?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 16:06:04 »
I have an F77 and a 60% PCB with me and the PCB appears to fit the left compartment rather well. I wonder whether I can get a top mount plate and attach it to the case. How would you fit a cherry or alps board in the F77?

Nice. I haven't looked at any of the plate designer tools, not sure what sort of features they may have. I would think it would at least be possible to drill some holes into whatever plate you did make where they correspond with mounting holes on a 60% PCB though and secure the board to the plate that way.

I meant hand wiring the switches together, with no PCB. It isn't something I have done before, but I have done a lot of soldering, and it looks like fun.

Like this:

A modern handwiring guide - stronger, cleaner, easier

Offline gnho

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 22:54:57 »
It sounds like a good plan to me!