Author Topic: Switch housing rubs against keycap. Long-term damage?  (Read 5074 times)

Offline 5949

Switch housing rubs against keycap. Long-term damage?
« on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 18:24:22 »
So I got some EnjoyPBT Cherry Keycaps for my newly built keyboard and love every single bit of it.
However, underneath the keycaps, there are some protrusions  that came from the double injection moulds for the legends.

Meanwhile, the switches on my keyboard are pointing north

The north facing switches, the keycap protrusions and the low cherry profile all cause the south part of the keycap to rub against the housing of the switch, something like the figure below
(Significantly emphasized; the keys still bottom out)

There are many consequences that come from this, including a very quiet bottom out noise, binding if some keys are pressed on their extremities, mushiness, etc.
But the one thing that concerns me is this:
- The way the keycap rubs on the rounded edge introduces a lateral force on the keycap which is also applied to the stem. This may cause the stem to rub harder against the stem housing... but I don't know how significant this damage may be in the long run.

What do you think? Do you think a lateral force on the stem (when the key bottoms out) would cause significant damage to the switch over time? Such as a very loose/wobbly switch within a year or two? Or is it too insignificant to cause any noticeable damage?

I could file the protrusions off the switches, but I cannot do that in the near future; I've spent a lot of time building this keyboard alone and have to catch up on some things... unless it's urgent enough that I need to do this now. Your input would be very helpful!

Offline Tactile

Re: Switch housing rubs against keycap. Long-term damage?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 21:20:22 »
You might want to have a look at this thread.
REΛLFORCE

Offline 5949

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 22:48:49 »
You might want to have a look at this thread.

Woah... sounds a lot like the problems I'm having!
Thanks for the link! I'll look into this!

However, my question still stands... is it best if I file off the bottoms or will the switches be fine with them there?
I don't have the time and resources to buy and sell my keyboard lol
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 April 2020, 22:55:29 by 5949 »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 00:30:20 »
As far as I know there's no damage to anything. It just screws up the feel.
REΛLFORCE

Offline 5949

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 18:01:08 »
Ah, I see. If that's the case, I guess I'll be dealing with the protrusions on a later date.
Thanks for the advice!