Author Topic: Is there any way to make Topre keycaps more snug  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Is there any way to make Topre keycaps more snug
« on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 11:27:07 »
For example sometimes when Cherry MX keycaps are loose, I'll cut a tiny bit of plumber's tape and put it over the + sign, then push the keycaps in then now they're nice and tightly fitted onto the stem.

Topre has a different mounting system, I'm just wondering if there's ways to make Topre keycaps fit onto the Topre sliders nice and tight.

I recently did a slider swap and noticed some of the keycaps are a bit more loose fitted onto the Topre sliders, and it makes a small "click" sound when I press down on it.  I'm assuming because now there's a tiny bit of gap and when I press on it the plastic strike towards each other and makes the "click" sound.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: I'm also using R2 keycaps ok R1 stems not sure if it makes any difference, or maybe just different QC though I always thought Topre should be pretty consistent. Odd.....
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2020, 16:40:25 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Polymer

Re: Is there any way to make Topre keycaps more snug
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 18:21:05 »
I haven't noticed this so not sure what you're referring to....I haven't really put any of my R1 keycaps onto my R2 although I'll probably give that a try and see if I can replicate this...

Offline Hyde

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 21:19:16 »
To be honest this is the first time I ran into this.  I've never experienced any Topre board with lose fitting keycaps so this is also new to me.

I previously own Realforce R1 and also Topre Type Heaven only recently acquired Realforce R2.

The keycaps were perfectly fine on the purple slider (R2) before but when I switch to the regular slider (R1) somehow doesn't fit perfectly.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:02:50 »
For example sometimes when Cherry MX keycaps are loose, I'll cut a tiny bit of plumber's tape and put it over the + sign, then push the keycaps in then now they're nice and tightly fitted onto the stem.

You could always put something around the stem when you click it in but you'll want something *REALLY* thin like cling wrap / plastifilm / whatever it's called in your local dialect, because Topre stems are a lot more fragile and prone to cracking than most MX stems.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:16:01 »

You could always put something around the stem when you click it in but you'll want something *REALLY* thin like cling wrap / plastifilm / whatever it's called in your local dialect, because Topre stems are a lot more fragile and prone to cracking than most MX stems.

I just tried plumbing tape again and it actually works on Topre too, so that's really good to know.  Just a little bit tedious to do every key but oh well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Gasoila-Virgin-Density-Thread-Length/dp/B0092UP6L2/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=plumbing+tape&qid=1588598084&sr=8-6

But at least now it feels great no more click sound.  :thumb:

Offline Polymer

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 12:12:13 »
Did you have a chance to compare the sliders?  It just seems so odd..

But makes me think if I put R1 keycaps on an R2 that I risk snapping them simply because the sliders are slightly bigger?

Offline Hyde

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 20:06:36 »
Did you have a chance to compare the sliders?  It just seems so odd..

But makes me think if I put R1 keycaps on an R2 that I risk snapping them simply because the sliders are slightly bigger?

Yeah I tried the Type Heaven keycaps on the purple sliders and it's super tight.  So I definitely think there's tolerance difference.

Though I don't know if it's a black slider vs purple slider thing OR maybe the older batch were looser and they tighten the tolerance on the newer boards?????

This I'm not too sure.