Author Topic: Hi there!  (Read 1423 times)

Offline funKShun

Hi there!
« on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 15:18:47 »
Hi guys,

I forgot how I've stumbled upon this forum (maybe reddit), but it seems like a cozy place for people who like "click-clacks".  ;D
I'm at my 2nd mechanical keyboard (both stock Logitech) and since last Christmas I've discovered the r/MK reddit which made me go on an endless rabbit-hole about this hobby.

Now, the plan is to buy the parts and build my 1st proper custom mechanical keyboard (soldered or hot-swap, not really sure on this one).
The hardest part now, after a few months of research, is that I do not know where to start with the switches and the key-caps, very hard for me to pick and stick with one option.  ^-^

Maybe some of you guys have some recommendations about some beginner DIY kits or parts for a 1st KB that I can build (do note that I live in Europe and I understand that due to current situation delivery from US or China will be harder than before).

I will mainly use it for gaming and typical internet browsing, no heavy typing.

PS: I'm also afraid for my wallet because I'm sure that the 1st custom keyboard will not be the last.   :confused:

Cheers!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: Hi there!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 19:56:19 »
Welcome :)

I wanna try out a hotswap board actually, that seems really convenient.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline fliz

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 21:37:24 »
Welcome to Geekhack and sorry about your wallet. 😂

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 00:35:31 »
Hi guys,

I forgot how I've stumbled upon this forum (maybe reddit), but it seems like a cozy place for people who like "click-clacks".  ;D
I'm at my 2nd mechanical keyboard (both stock Logitech) and since last Christmas I've discovered the r/MK reddit which made me go on an endless rabbit-hole about this hobby.

Now, the plan is to buy the parts and build my 1st proper custom mechanical keyboard (soldered or hot-swap, not really sure on this one).
The hardest part now, after a few months of research, is that I do not know where to start with the switches and the key-caps, very hard for me to pick and stick with one option.  ^-^

Maybe some of you guys have some recommendations about some beginner DIY kits or parts for a 1st KB that I can build (do note that I live in Europe and I understand that due to current situation delivery from US or China will be harder than before).

PS: I'm also afraid for my wallet because I'm sure that the 1st custom keyboard will not be the last.   :confused:

Cheers!

Hi funkShun. Welcome to Geekhack.

I don't normally do the whole LEGO keyboard thing, usually more just customizing existing boards. I do have a DZ60 PCB coming though, which I haven't really heard anything bad about. What layout/size do you want? What type of switches? Linears, tactiles, clickies?

Which switches have you tried? Which do you like? Have you ordered any switch testers?

Offline funKShun

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 04:51:27 »
Hi guys,

Cheers!

Hi funkShun. Welcome to Geekhack.

I don't normally do the whole LEGO keyboard thing, usually more just customizing existing boards. I do have a DZ60 PCB coming though, which I haven't really heard anything bad about. What layout/size do you want? What type of switches? Linears, tactiles, clickies?

Which switches have you tried? Which do you like? Have you ordered any switch testers?

Hi Maledicted,

So far I've used only browns with my former Logitech G710+ and now RoamerG on the Logitech G810 which are kinda similar (tactile).
For the custom one I would want to try linears, either cherry reds or blacks or counterparts from other companies (the clicky ones do not appeal at all, don't want to get banned on discord LOL).
For the size, I'm not sure but I think I will go with the 65% one although the availability options could be limited for the PCB and case when comparing with a 60% but I think I want to keep the arrows + those 2 or 3 extra keys (DEL etc.).

I think the first step I should get a switch tester as you suggested to test them all or most of them.

Thank you! :)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 08:45:13 »
Hi Maledicted,

So far I've used only browns with my former Logitech G710+ and now RoamerG on the Logitech G810 which are kinda similar (tactile).
For the custom one I would want to try linears, either cherry reds or blacks or counterparts from other companies (the clicky ones do not appeal at all, don't want to get banned on discord LOL).
For the size, I'm not sure but I think I will go with the 65% one although the availability options could be limited for the PCB and case when comparing with a 60% but I think I want to keep the arrows + those 2 or 3 extra keys (DEL etc.).

I think the first step I should get a switch tester as you suggested to test them all or most of them.

Clickies don't appeal yet, they might once you've got a tester.  ;)

Do you want linears for typing, gaming, multipurpose? I think a lot of people agree that MX reds are just a bit too light for their liking, and that blacks are just a bit too heavy (for some reason heavy linears seem to cause more fatigue than switches of other types in a similar weightings). It seems to me that Gateron yellows are a nice compromise, and I think a lot of people will agree that they're much smoother than Cherry linears. A lot of people also find that they don't particularly like linears for extended typing, although plenty of people must feel the opposite as well with all of the fancy boutique linears out there now. You may also like Kailh's box linears and tactiles, and Gateron's tactiles (all switches I have tried in these specific subsets are much smoother than MX).

Novelkeys Creams, Gateron Ink, Zeal's switches, Halo switches, and Panda switches seem to be the most popular around for linears and tactiles, if you wanted somewhere specifically to look. I know a good chunk of tactile people also end up with Topre. All things to research and maybe get samples of.

If you do end up wanting to give clickies a shot, find a tester with Kailh box jades in it and/or other box clickbar switches. You'll have a hard time finding a tester with everything. My 130 switch tester just finally came in. It has 0 of the popular boutique switches I listed above, so I have, unfortunately, never tried them for myself.

You can configure some 60% boards to have arrow keys. That's what I'll do with my DZ60. Then you've got more options in cases. I'm going with walnut myself.

Offline funKShun

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 14:54:32 »
Hi Maledicted,

Clickies don't appeal yet, they might once you've got a tester.  ;)

Do you want linears for typing, gaming, multipurpose? I think a lot of people agree that MX reds are just a bit too light for their liking, and that blacks are just a bit too heavy (for some reason heavy linears seem to cause more fatigue than switches of other types in a similar weightings). It seems to me that Gateron yellows are a nice compromise, and I think a lot of people will agree that they're much smoother than Cherry linears. A lot of people also find that they don't particularly like linears for extended typing, although plenty of people must feel the opposite as well with all of the fancy boutique linears out there now. You may also like Kailh's box linears and tactiles, and Gateron's tactiles (all switches I have tried in these specific subsets are much smoother than MX).

Novelkeys Creams, Gateron Ink, Zeal's switches, Halo switches, and Panda switches seem to be the most popular around for linears and tactiles, if you wanted somewhere specifically to look. I know a good chunk of tactile people also end up with Topre. All things to research and maybe get samples of.

If you do end up wanting to give clickies a shot, find a tester with Kailh box jades in it and/or other box clickbar switches. You'll have a hard time finding a tester with everything. My 130 switch tester just finally came in. It has 0 of the popular boutique switches I listed above, so I have, unfortunately, never tried them for myself.

You can configure some 60% boards to have arrow keys. That's what I'll do with my DZ60. Then you've got more options in cases. I'm going with walnut myself.

I will try to get a tester with some Gateron and Zeal switches, I think I've read on reddit too that Gateron are smoother than MX.
Also, forgot that you can put arrows on 60% KB, that would be nice, I'll look around.

Thank you very much for all the info!

I guess, for this hobby specifically, the start is a bit harder due to all the options for all the parts. :D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 18:41:09 »
I will try to get a tester with some Gateron and Zeal switches, I think I've read on reddit too that Gateron are smoother than MX.
Also, forgot that you can put arrows on 60% KB, that would be nice, I'll look around.

Thank you very much for all the info!

I guess, for this hobby specifically, the start is a bit harder due to all the options for all the parts. :D

You're very welcome.

I suppose that depends on what you want to do. Some people obsess over vintage switches, some people modify existing boards, some do the whole LEGO thing. Some go so far as to worry about dampening, mats, the best stabilizers (and grease and modifications for them), the best lubricants for a given switch type, etc. Then you've even got people Designing PCBs, and cases, and/or hand wiring keyboards without any PCB at all. That's one of the beauties of it all. There's something for everyone, and you can dip into other things whenever you like.