Author Topic: Hello newbie here  (Read 860 times)

Offline SLPNick

Hello newbie here
« on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 00:59:24 »
Hi all,

Complete noob here who's never had or built a custom keyboard before. I was shopping for an off-the-shelf "gaming" keyboard and searching for sound tests of Cherry MX Blacks on YouTube, that quickly turned into hundreds of videos of custom keyboards.  Before I knew it I was looking for these custom keyboards everywhere online and found all these big name websites in the community.  I also found out that it was impossible to buy a kit and discovered how group buys work.

After more days of obsessive research I learned about the different parts and terminologies like pcb, hotswappable sockets, soldering, etc.  I've ordered a SK64S even though I hate plastic keyboards and 60/65% layout, I really wanna try the Gateron optical blacks (can't find them on any other keyboard or pcb that supports optical) and I can use it as lubing/stabs modding practice.  Then I ordered the Drop Ctrl high profile because I didn't think soldering was for me but then after realising hotswap is limited to plate-mount stabs, I plan to get a soldering station and learn.  At the end I just cancelled the Ctrl order and joined gok's 7v GB last minute, I hope I can get good at soldering by Feb next year :))

I will continue to be lurking here and jumping on upcoming GBs especially if there are hot 1800 designs.

TL;DR: Was shopping for a gaming keyboard, ended up spending over $800 on the 7v.

Offline Maledicted

Re: Hello newbie here
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 09:37:42 »
Hi SLPNick. Welcome to Geekhack.

That 7v is one sharp keyboard.

You'll get the hang of soldering fast. Keyboards may be the best modern practical place to start with soldering. The solder pads are huge and spaced out. Just watch a few good tutorials and take your time (so long as taking your time doesn't include leaving a hot iron in melted solder).