Author Topic: Almost impossible not to bottom down!  (Read 3138 times)

Offline SamSpade

Almost impossible not to bottom down!
« on: Fri, 02 July 2010, 11:53:58 »
As a recent buyer of a Filco Blue Cherry Tenkeyless, I'm finding it almost impossible not to bottom down, which results in more finger fatigue than in my not-so-cool regular membrane keyboard (Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000). What should I do? Re-learn how to type? Become a soft, zen-budhist typer?

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 July 2010, 12:00:54 »
Many switches require a few days to get used to them, sometimes longer.  Relax, put on some reggae and enjoy your board.  You'll probably still bottom out, but with time you adjust to them and it's not a hard banging bottom out, more of a light tap as you adjust to the travel of the switches and how they feel.

Welcome to GeekHack!
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline SamSpade

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 July 2010, 12:16:52 »
Quote from: didjamatic;198700
Many switches require a few days to get used to them, sometimes longer.  Relax, put on some reggae and enjoy your board.  You'll probably still bottom out, but with time you adjust to them and it's not a hard banging bottom out, more of a light tap as you adjust to the travel of the switches and how they feel.

Welcome to GeekHack!

Thank you!

I'm just getting used to the feel of a mech. keyboard.

I get anxious with not bottoming out, and, as a result, I bottom out even more!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 July 2010, 13:48:23 »
I'll third the background music.  For me, it helps take my brain off of the act of typing, and my fingers just do their thing. Also, I find that looking off, away from the monitor helps, too.

It does take awhile to get used to a mechanical 'board.  For years, you train yourself to mash down the keys using rubber domes.  The key is to not try to not bottom out, you have to just let it naturally occur.  After awhile, you get to really "know" a switch and you subconsciously type lighter.  Keep after it.  Once you start to really get used to it, you will want to type on nothing else.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 July 2010, 18:31:02 »
Yea, if you just type and stop worrying about it, then you'll probably notice in 30 days you are bottoming out less.  You'll probably always bottom out some keys, some of the time.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline ironman31

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 July 2010, 19:13:01 »
Quote from: ripster;198708
Get some rhythm boy!
Show Image

Seriously, background music does help.

"hard work..... hard work..."

I wish I could type like that guy, he makes it look like the most fun thing he's ever done.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline ironman31

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 July 2010, 19:23:43 »
I'm actually having the same probably you are, (I'm not fatiguing, I would just like to not bottom out) I usually do this more with clicky boards more than something like the browns. Most likely because it takes a little more for to get through the click and I am having trouble backing off at the right time, where the browns don't have as much resistance at the actuation point.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 July 2010, 20:17:30 »
My solution for less finger fatigue: Don't type.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 July 2010, 21:57:36 »
My solution was MX clears. Who was less helpful?
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 July 2010, 22:02:06 »
not typing (as in taking breaks) plus finger exercises, will help with the fatigue, so kinda more helpful than MX clears, for someone who appears to like blues.  If they didn't mind changing the feel and lowering the sound, then the OP could look into the dental band mod, to help reduce bottoming out, as well.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 July 2010, 23:12:45 »
Seriously though, just keep at it and it will become more natural.

It took me about a month to adjust to the browns and I still occasionally hit the bottom. I don't have any blues yet, but they are supposed to be similar weight.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 July 2010, 23:28:43 »
Although I hated them, the Sun Microsystems Type 5 keyboards were amazing.  I floated over the top of those while typing, sorta like Matthew Broderick's character didn't in Wargames.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline SamSpade

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 July 2010, 10:04:26 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;199150
My solution for less finger fatigue: Don't type.

But that's not an option for a lawyer :/

Offline SamSpade

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 04 July 2010, 10:25:47 »
Quote from: ripster;199319
Can you do us a favor and sue Microsoft Windows for excessive trolling?

One thing I hate about internet foruns it that they all end up in trolls trolling trolls.