Author Topic: [Resolved] Corsair K63 with non-working switches/patterns  (Read 1731 times)

Offline AGmurdercore

[Resolved] Corsair K63 with non-working switches/patterns
« on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 06:30:29 »
Hey guys! Recently I purchased a Corsair K63 which I thought was dead completely but it turned out that only a few keys are not working and I am looking for ideas what might be the issue. So the non-working keys are:
F12, Print Screen, Scroll Lock, Pause, Insert, Home, Page Up, ], Enter and the key left to the enter, which on this particular one is listed as #

As we can "see" the keys are all located in the right corner, but I was unable to notice any particular pattern or one particular trace on the PCB that might be faulty. I somehow feel like it wont be the controller as usually they just die and none of the keys work, but one this board some are working, the LEDs as well and the software is recognizing it. I currently have the keyboard disassembled but I don't see any issues on the bottom of the PCB, i haven't desoldered the switches to see the picture on the other side.

Any suggestions would be appreciated on what the problem might be, I am comfortable desoldering, hand wiring and stuff and I am happy to try different things out of you think that something might help.

If you feel like photos would be helpful I can provide some as well.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2020, 06:07:23 by AGmurdercore »
What the hell am I even doing

Offline DiscipleOfCeres

Re: Corsair K63 with non-working switches/patterns
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 01:53:35 »
I don't know much about electronics, but you might check that each key switch is working 100% reliably.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 02:10:45 »
sounds like you've already opened it up, so I'm assuming the PCB is clean? (eg. no spilled drinks)

to test switches, you can use a multimeter to check continuity when the switches are pressed

you can also test trace paths that should have continuity around the keys that aren't working, which might reveal some findings

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 03:23:40 »
Not enough keys for a dead pin so sounds like a break in the matrix, a jumper wire or two and they'll probably all spring back to life.

Pics please :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 06:07:02 »
Thanks for the comments everyone! Actually about 15 minutes after I posted this i felt like I can't wait so I desoldered everything to look for the issue. All switches were working correctly, the PCB looked fine at the bottom but once I dosoldered the switched I noticed the problem - there was corrosion under the top right switch, which I assume was causing the issues. After I cleaned the board and tested it everything was working fine so I re-assembled it without the LEDs (because f**k the LEDs really) and played around with the board for 30 or so minutes to make sure all was good.

It's funny how a spill of some sort might break only a few seemingly random switch inputs and that a simple clean fixed the issue.
What the hell am I even doing

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 10:15:56 »
Thanks for the comments everyone! Actually about 15 minutes after I posted this i felt like I can't wait so I desoldered everything to look for the issue. All switches were working correctly, the PCB looked fine at the bottom but once I dosoldered the switched I noticed the problem - there was corrosion under the top right switch, which I assume was causing the issues. After I cleaned the board and tested it everything was working fine so I re-assembled it without the LEDs (because f**k the LEDs really) and played around with the board for 30 or so minutes to make sure all was good.

It's funny how a spill of some sort might break only a few seemingly random switch inputs and that a simple clean fixed the issue.

Owner of k63 and the switches feel super springy. I press them down hard but sometimes they spring back up.  Is that normal?  They also make this awful pinging sound whenever i type on it. I'll consider getting a poker or anne pro.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: [Resolved] Corsair K63 with non-working switches/patterns
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 12:33:23 »
If all the switches are connected on one side and they used the pin with the corrosion to link to the other side of the PCB that's it - they all die.  Not sure how far we would have got with the usual 'poke poke poke' diagnostics, works better when the break's in the middle!

Glad you got it sorted anyway :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 14:19:28 »

Owner of k63 and the switches feel super springy. I press them down hard but sometimes they spring back up.  Is that normal?  They also make this awful pinging sound whenever i type on it. I'll consider getting a poker or anne pro.

What switches? Do these only come with MX reds? What do you mean by super springy? What do you mean by spring back up? I don't know that Corsair uses anything other than Cherry MX, and Cherry MX reds are pretty consistent in their acceptable mediocrity. They're pretty light, so light I can accidentally actuate them by resting my fingers on them. If you do slam them down hard, I have noticed that my fingers kind of rebound faster than I might assume, but that's being used to heavier switches. It does normalize with some practice. How long have you been typing on the K63 exclusively vs other switch types? It looks like the K63 has a steel plate, which can be pretty pingy. I imagine most of the general dampening principles apply, like trying to stuff foam in the bottom of the case, using a mat, etc.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 07:50:51 »

What switches? Do these only come with MX reds? What do you mean by super springy? What do you mean by spring back up? I don't know that Corsair uses anything other than Cherry MX, and Cherry MX reds are pretty consistent in their acceptable mediocrity. They're pretty light, so light I can accidentally actuate them by resting my fingers on them. If you do slam them down hard, I have noticed that my fingers kind of rebound faster than I might assume, but that's being used to heavier switches. It does normalize with some practice. How long have you been typing on the K63 exclusively vs other switch types? It looks like the K63 has a steel plate, which can be pretty pingy. I imagine most of the general dampening principles apply, like trying to stuff foam in the bottom of the case, using a mat, etc.

Yes. They feel very sensitive and the spring feels super sensitive, but i'm guessing that is normal because mx reds are light. They make this awful metal pinging sound against the case, but its probably because i thump on every switch, even mx clears or greens where bottoming out is too tiring.