Author Topic: Hello from Ohio  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Freshleaftea

Hello from Ohio
« on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 12:30:32 »
Hello!

Completely new to the community! I have watched multiple videos and different forum posts before actually diving in and buying parts until recently. If there's any tips for a newbie like me, i'd highly appreciate any help i can get or if there's things i should be careful for! Currently typing on a K95, but I've gotten into the groupbuy for the GMK Masterpiece and i've also obtained some Blueberry switches !

Offline Maledicted

Re: Hello from Ohio
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 16:50:22 »
Hi Freshleaftea. Welcome to Geekhack.

That cap set isn't going to fit your K95, if that was the intention. Corsair uses a non-standard bottom row. You can make most of the caps kind of work though, including notching a standard-size space bar to fit.

What switches have you tried? Which are in the K95? It sounds like you may be interested in tactiles? I imagine blueberries are very nice, not a tactile guy though myself, so no idea when I'll know for sure.

Offline Freshleaftea

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 19:39:04 »

That cap set isn't going to fit your K95, if that was the intention. Corsair uses a non-standard bottom row. You can make most of the caps kind of work though, including notching a standard-size space bar to fit.

What switches have you tried? Which are in the K95? It sounds like you may be interested in tactiles? I imagine blueberries are very nice, not a tactile guy though myself, so no idea when I'll know for sure.

It wasn't my intention to use them for the K95, but also glad to know before i received them that they won't fit.

The K95 has the Cherry MX platinum switches, which i like for playing games but don't like it otherwise for work and school. I enjoy the sound from tactile switches and the feel, I've only ever used stock keyboards; I previously used the Logitech Orion Spark which was okay.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 21:19:52 »

It wasn't my intention to use them for the K95, but also glad to know before i received them that they won't fit.

The K95 has the Cherry MX platinum switches, which i like for playing games but don't like it otherwise for work and school. I enjoy the sound from tactile switches and the feel, I've only ever used stock keyboards; I previously used the Logitech Orion Spark which was okay.

by platinum switches, do you mean MX speed? Never tried those in a real board myself. I think MX reds are already too sensitive for my liking in games and would prefer something closer to Gateron yellows for spring weight, which is kind of between red and black. Gaterons are a lot smoother than MX out of the box as well. I still use MX reds myself for games and various kinds of clickies for everything else.

By sound of tactile switches, you probably mean clickies? (MX blue, etc) Tactiles are switches with a tactile bump, but no click, which usually don't feel as good as a result.

Offline Freshleaftea

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 22:17:35 »

by platinum switches, do you mean MX speed? Never tried those in a real board myself. I think MX reds are already too sensitive for my liking in games and would prefer something closer to Gateron yellows for spring weight, which is kind of between red and black. Gaterons are a lot smoother than MX out of the box as well. I still use MX reds myself for games and various kinds of clickies for everything else.

By sound of tactile switches, you probably mean clickies? (MX blue, etc) Tactiles are switches with a tactile bump, but no click, which usually don't feel as good as a result.

Sorry; yes i meant the MX speed. I recently started school again which is where's definitely become a too sensitive issue for me where i feel like i'm mistyping every other word.
And yes! i meant clickies!  I'm still learning a lot!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 11:31:10 »

Sorry; yes i meant the MX speed. I recently started school again which is where's definitely become a too sensitive issue for me where i feel like i'm mistyping every other word.
And yes! i meant clickies!  I'm still learning a lot!

It isn't like Cherry makes it easy. Who knows why they suddenly decided to go to some dumb buzzword instead of a color to name that switch in particular.

If you like the sound and feel of clickies, and want to stick with modern switches, Kailh box clickies are worth taking a look at. They're probably the best clickies around that are compatible with mx caps and boards, etc. I like Matias even more, but I can't personally vouch of their spotty reputation yet, and since they're basically modern Alps descendants, cap and board options are limited.