Author Topic: Spilled water on my IBM Model M  (Read 2716 times)

Offline qorg11

• lml viva el rock cojones lml
Spilled water on my IBM Model M
« on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 14:40:34 »
Hi

I spilled a bit of water on my IBM Model M, some keys are working flawlessly, but my 'c' key is not working (it's the only one that is not working), and when i press caps lock (I rebinded it to ctrl) the keyboard does not register the other key (ctrl + x, the x is not registered)

What can I do about this?

Thanks.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
Re: Spilled water on my IBM Model M
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 18:25:19 »
Oh dear

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 19:05:08 »
 :-X
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 19:30:55 »
Is it bolt modded? Otherwise, you're not getting the thing apart to clean/dry off the membrane. I certainly wouldn't be using it at all until it is dry inside, the more you've got it plugged in like that, the more potential damage will be done.

Offline qorg11

• lml viva el rock cojones lml
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 02:44:58 »
Is it bolt modded? Otherwise, you're not getting the thing apart to clean/dry off the membrane. I certainly wouldn't be using it at all until it is dry inside, the more you've got it plugged in like that, the more potential damage will be done.

I let my keyboard dry for the entire night, and C key is working now, do you think i shuold let it dry for a bit more?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 09:30:37 »

I let my keyboard dry for the entire night, and C key is working now, do you think i shuold let it dry for a bit more?

I wouldn't trust that short of time in such an enclosed space, although that's great news. I have literally seen moldy water and rust inside of laptops before. I think the least I would personally try to do is pull all of the caps, pull the board apart, and put the plate sandwich in front of a fan for a few days. I have also used 91% isopropyl alcohol in places I can't disassemble, to help displace and evaporate the water more quickly.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 10:39:36 »
^ I agree. Good time to learn how to do a bolt mod. (it's really not as hard as you think)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 13:16:06 »
Taking the internals out of the case would improve air flow.

If it is warm and sunny where you live, an afternoon outside in the sun would probably drive out the water.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 22:44:36 »
Completely take it apart. leave it that way for a month. Put it back together. should work.