Author Topic: cheap keyboard for teaching girlfriend colemak  (Read 1817 times)

Offline fliz

cheap keyboard for teaching girlfriend colemak
« on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 04:28:12 »
What's the cheapest keyboard that doesn't suck that I can easily rearrange the keycaps to colemak so my girlfriend can use my computer w/o switching back to qwerty all the time. She gave it a try looking at the screen on colemak.com and gets why it's better and is willing to learn.

Obvs preferably something mechanical, so she can also get bitten by *that* bug, too. :D

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
cheap keyboard for teaching girlfriend colemak
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 04:30:28 »
What's the cheapest keyboard that doesn't suck

That is incredibly subjective. Don’t expect useful answers.

If your girlfriend must see the legends on the caps, the cheapest way is to use some masking tape on all the caps and write the letters on the tape until she learns. Masking tape costs very little, and you eventually want to never look at the keycap legends to type anyway.

There are tonnes of Mx compatible mechanical keyboards that cost very little, but keycaps on different rows have different profiles (combination of heights and angles), so simply swapping them is no long term solution (masking tape is cheaper if you want a short term option).

You could buy a cheap xda or dsa or Ada profile keycap set to go with your cheap board. Those keycaps are all the same profile and are interchangeable.

Happy hunting.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 May 2020, 04:35:37 by RominRonin »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: cheap keyboard for teaching girlfriend colemak
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 06:50:26 »
Instead of replacing the keyboard, check the OS, I'm pretty sure every OS will let you swap that in settings without remapping the keyboard. Still need to swap the key caps.

If there's nothing in the OS (there probably is), there's software that can do it as well.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 10:06:18 »
If you want to rearrange existing caps, a Model M/Unicomp is a contender, since they have the curved plates and all of the caps are the same profile as a result. It doesn't look like Colemak is a default optional customization (you could ask about it), and I don't know that there's any way to flash their controllers, but you could use a Soarer's/TMK converter with an 5-pin din or ps/2 model, or one of those USB to USB converters.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 11:52:04 »
Telling someone to buy a model M when they need a cheap replaceable board is.. interesting.   
There are clear key covers you can buy that fit over caps, and you can just put a piece of paper under them. Learning to never look down is just better practice though.

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 12:11:09 »
Telling someone to buy a model M when they need a cheap replaceable board is.. interesting.   
There are clear key covers you can buy that fit over caps, and you can just put a piece of paper under them. Learning to never look down is just better practice though.
well you can find used unicomps for cheap often, and they are not that hard to fix, if the membranes are good
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 12:57:48 »
well you can find used unicomps for cheap often, and they are not that hard to fix, if the membranes are good

Yup. I have even gotten multiple early IBM Model Ms on Ebay for $40-50. They weren't always perfect, but there wasn't anything serious wrong with them either. I have seen Unicomps for less than that on occasion, though they're usually M122s.

Offline fliz

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 16:46:53 »
I think you guys may have a point about just putting masking tape on my keys, but I'm terrified of damaging my keycaps. Is there a brand you recommend or something to clean any potential residue that won't harm the pbt?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 17:02:45 »
With a Model M, you can put any key anywhere with no drama, as well as buying replacement keys easily. You could even do something like buy "Bright White" caps from Unicomp for the ones that are shifted in Colemak as a reminder (as I recall, about a third of the alphas don't move).

What you want is what IBM did best, back in the day. The M/F lines were designed to accommodate all manner of shuffling on the same hardware.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rxc92

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 19:15:21 »
I think you guys may have a point about just putting masking tape on my keys, but I'm terrified of damaging my keycaps. Is there a brand you recommend or something to clean any potential residue that won't harm the pbt?

https://www.amazon.com/X-keys-Keycap-Cherry-Compatible-Transparent/dp/B00FYO8EDC/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=relegendable+keycaps&qid=1590538455&sr=8-1 

Here you are, no need for a whole new keyboard.

Offline jamster

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 20:59:31 »

They're just made of plastic- normal adhesive from tape or office stickers won't damage dye-subbed or doubleshot keys. If they were cruddy pad printed caps, maybe you'd scrub some of the printing off.

Sticker residue is easily removed with a bit of degreaser, which is also fine for plastic.

If could use something like blue painters tape, that stuff is easy to apply, stays on securely, but is also very clean and easy to remove. Far better suited to the job than masking tape (which might leave a bit of residue).

I have to admit to also thinking "Model M" for the incredible ease of cap replacement though. Those boards are perfect for this. But painters tape is less hassle.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 21:12:35 »
If you're worried buy some VERY cheap blanks and a permanent marker. Shouldn't be more than $20 on Amazon.
If it wears off, mark then dab clear nail polish over the letters, this also works with rub on transfers if you want a cleaner look.

Anyhow, if you want to mess with your caps, Goo Gone shouldn't hurt the caps for removing the gunk, it's just citrus.

Don't use masking tape or duct tape.
Masking/blue painters tape is really only good for about 2-3 days after that the glue starts to leech, it's for masking paint, i.e. short term. Duct will last longer, but it's never meant to come off. Personally, I'd use paper covers to cover the entire top and scotch tape, this way even if removing it did damage it would be very minimal. Should also be easy to clean and last long enough to decide if she likes it or not.

Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline jamster

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 22:26:05 »
I've been using painters tape for multi-week projects in a high humidity/temperature climate. Scotch brand, and some random brand. Both have been totally fine on both permeable and non-permeable surfaces. The stuff is amazing, the only downside is that it's more expensive than masking tape.

Blank caps would certainly be a less ghetto option though.

Offline fliz

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 22:44:07 »
Thank you guys for all the advice!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 11:23:59 »
I'll add a vote for goo gone. I use that stuff for removal of adhesive on literally everything. I have never had it harm the finish of anything I have used it on, and I have used it for at least a good 10+ years, for everything from fossilized thermal paste to sticker residue on paint.

Another trick I like for marker not wearing off of clear plastic is to write it backwards on the reverse, if the plastic is transparent enough to see it through the other side.