Author Topic: I just got some weird Unicomp Point of Sale keyboards; help me use them. *IMG*  (Read 1579 times)

Offline funkmon

These things are New In Box from 2013. Here's a box with a board in it.

Here's the board ready to go.

Immediately, I'm noticing a few things.

1: The key caps. They look kind of cheap and wonky. Look at this.

Big fat mold markings? Well, if the mold was solid and smooth maybe that would be all right, but look at these two images.

And, the writing is kind of blurry, like the people used to say all the time. But, that's only true on some of the keycaps, and on some of the keyboards. It seems to do this at random. Look at these legends.

Now look at the key I pulled off of another keyboard in another box. It does seem to vary even within keyboards built on the same day.

2: The case. It's got a bunch of weird marks on it, plus strange dents and molding issues. I also noticed that it's actually pretty much just a Lexmark case and Lexmark internals, cheapened a bit.

If we look at the side of the board, the old Unicomp has the same late IBM build, and it has the drainage holes.

The NEW Unicomp doesn't have a thick thing of plastic there, and it doesn't have drainage holes, even though the case does. They've just made the inside more open. Look.

The plastic covering over the membrane which holds the barrels is fundamentally a late IBM design on the old Unicomp, but all ****ty.

Unicomp now uses a different plastic design over the membrane. In fact, you can still see the membrane there.

Anyway, let's get to the board itself. It is a black 101 model that uses PS/2 and has a magnetic stripe reader. The reader turns on when plugged into the computer.

The keyboard, on the other hand, does nothing.

It looks like this controller thingy goes to the MSR, then the MSR goes out to the PS/2 port.

I tried a few things to get it to work. I whipped out my new Unicomp, and started plugging stuff in to see if it would work. The black keyboard wouldn't talk through the new one's cord, and the new one wouldn't talk through the black one's cord.

I guess I got the keycaps though.

So, anyway, does anyone recognize this? Will a Soarer's converter help? Does anyone see a reason that might not work? Is it easy to train a Soarer's based on this? My experience with those is they basically just ****ing work, so I don't know how to handle it if it doesn't.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
Nice. How awesome would it be if you could actually complete online purchases by swiping your card?

Offline Maledicted

Those are cool boards. Those quality concerns are basically what I always read about Unicomp. I suppose it is a good example of their more recent improvements. Do some Unicomp controllers support both ps2 and USB? If they do, is it through the same header? If all of that is the case, are the cables wired the same? Can you bypass the card reader? Maybe it is drawing too much juice for your ps2 port.

Do you not already have a Soarer's converter? I would think it would at least be worth a shot, especially if you have a powered USB hub to plug it into.

Offline funkmon

I don't have one for PS2, no. I don't make them or anything, I just buy them from Orihalcon like all good people.

Offline Maledicted

I don't have one for PS2, no. I don't make them or anything, I just buy them from Orihalcon like all good people.

Making them is half of the fun though.

You don't have any of these around?

I don't know that I would bother making a ps2 Soarer's converter either, unless I go nuts and try to jam every possible connector that could ever possibly be useful onto it. The adapters to 5-pin din are common and cheap.

Offline funkmon

Oh **** I could buy one of those.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

I just buy them from Orihalcon like all good people.

I have a few Orihalcon cables, but why does that make me a good persons, pray tell?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58941.msg2547545#msg2547545
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015