Author Topic: AutoHotKey Status - DLS  (Read 2228 times)

Offline British

Offline British

AutoHotKey Status - DLS
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 July 2010, 08:52:43 »
Well, ain't that the very point of a concept... to appeal ?

Regarding the article, did anybody try some of those OS iterations, and are they worth their salt ?

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

AutoHotKey Status - DLS
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 July 2010, 09:05:40 »
Commercial stuff dies too. At least if the original author decides they cannot or do not wish to maintain a project people can choose to fork it.

Case in point: Gabest basically did the same thing as the AHK dev in 2007 (project is not dead, but not working on it) with Media Player Classic. Contributors forked it into Media Player Classic Homecinema and it's being very actively developed and updated today.

Offline wellington1869

AutoHotKey Status - DLS
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 July 2010, 11:43:54 »
i dont get it -- is ripster actually dissing AHK?  Jesus.

Glad its not dead, but also it seems like AHK is already 99% functional for the purpose for which Chris created it.  I doubt it needs any other mass overhaul unless the windows subsystem changes radically. In which case he'll probably get back into the game. He says pretty clearly in the interview that he has no interest in seeing AHK be watered down into a general purpose programming language. In this case, given how well AHK works and how insanely fit it is for its purpose, I'm kind of glad he wants to keep it task-focused.  If there hasnt been a new rev out, that speaks more to how complete that project really is, for the moment, I think.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline itlnstln

AutoHotKey Status - DLS
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 July 2010, 11:48:21 »
Quote from: wellington1869;199980
i dont get it -- is ripster actually dissing AHK?  Jesus.

No, he was talking about OSS in general.

Offline wellington1869

AutoHotKey Status - DLS
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 July 2010, 11:49:25 »
Quote from: itlnstln;199981
No, he was talking about OSS in general.

oh ok. yea, concept is easy.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Zalusithix

AutoHotKey Status - DLS
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 July 2010, 18:25:16 »
Open Source as a concept is hardly without its fair share of logistical problems. In this case, however, it's the only thing that would allow the project to live on without the original author. Had he kept it closed source, the only real option would be writing a new interpreter for the scripts and reimplementing everything from the ground up. I wouldn't exactly call that a better situation to be in...