Author Topic: Help: Identifying keyboard  (Read 2607 times)

Offline icecold

Help: Identifying keyboard
« on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 12:37:52 »
Hi.
Im new to the community so I hope I don't break any rules.
Could you guys help me identifying the keyboard?
Are the switches Cherry MX Blacks?
Here are some photos:

244642-0
244644-1
244646-2
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 16:23:05 by icecold »

Offline Maledicted

Re: Help: Identifying keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 13:27:11 »
Hello icecold. Welcome to Geekhack.

Those do look to be Cherry MX black switches. It is interesting to me that that is what they are, since the "KB-5150" with that exact same styling and layout, is usually supposed to have foam and foil switches.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 13:36:50 »
Cherry G80-0439, I own it.

My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline icecold

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 14:01:33 »
Cherry G80-0439, I own it.

Show Image

Yeah, i checked it now and I see that G80-0439 has MX Blacks and IBM layout, and surprisingly keyboards i found doesnt always have cherry mark on them. So it might be it. Thanks for the answer!

Those do look to be Cherry MX black switches. It is interesting to me that that is what they are, since the "KB-5150" with that exact same styling and layout, is usually supposed to have foam and foil switches.

Yes, i was surprised too when i saw the keyboard and it didnt have foil switches. Thanks for your answer.

I guess i'm buying it, the auction ends on friday and it's only about ~6$ and i like it, especially with MX Blacks. I just hope that nobody outbids me. I never really had mechanical keyboard and I was going to build my own with (lubed)gateron yellows, but this keyboard might be even better :)) I just wanted to be sure if they are MX Blacks.

Thank you people of geekhack <3

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 14:31:31 »

Yes, i was surprised too when i saw the keyboard and it didnt have foil switches. Thanks for your answer.

I guess i'm buying it, the auction ends on friday and it's only about ~6$ and i like it, especially with MX Blacks. I just hope that nobody outbids me. I never really had mechanical keyboard and I was going to build my own with (lubed)gateron yellows, but this keyboard might be even better :)) I just wanted to be sure if they are MX Blacks.

I would prefer Gateron yellow myself, both in weighting and feel, even without lube. Have you typed on a layout similar to that before? It can be a little rough to try to adjust to. I personally don't do it, even though I have a perfectly good IBM Model F XT at home. I hope you win it as well. It is worth a lot more than $6 just to the vintage MX black crowd.

Offline icecold

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 15:24:36 »

I would prefer Gateron yellow myself, both in weighting and feel, even without lube. Have you typed on a layout similar to that before? It can be a little rough to try to adjust to. I personally don't do it, even though I have a perfectly good IBM Model F XT at home. I hope you win it as well. It is worth a lot more than $6 just to the vintage MX black crowd.

I haven't :/
But i think i will try it anyways, of course if i win. If i don't I will surely build that gateron yellow keyboard. I have been following mechanical keyboards for almost a year now and I was in situations when i was just about to buy some prebuild board, but then thought that i want to build one myself. I don't like RBG and all that "gamer" stuff.

You know - i don't even know if it's going to work. The seller says in description that he doesn't know if it works. So i could desolder and then use those MX Blacks for another keyboard if the pcb is broken or something just doesn't work. For 6$ it still might be a good deal.

I have one question. Do you think it would work with AT -> PS2 passive adapter and PS2 -> USB active (i guess*) adapter?

* i think it is active - i have read somewhere that if the PS2>USB adapter has two inputs: one for keyboard and one for mouse, it is active. I'm not sure, if it's true, though. I have this one, so I wouldn't need to buy another one if it could work like that.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 09:04:38 »

But i think i will try it anyways, of course if i win. If i don't I will surely build that gateron yellow keyboard. I have been following mechanical keyboards for almost a year now and I was in situations when i was just about to buy some prebuild board, but then thought that i want to build one myself. I don't like RBG and all that "gamer" stuff.

You know - i don't even know if it's going to work. The seller says in description that he doesn't know if it works. So i could desolder and then use those MX Blacks for another keyboard if the pcb is broken or something just doesn't work. For 6$ it still might be a good deal.

I have one question. Do you think it would work with AT -> PS2 passive adapter and PS2 -> USB active (i guess*) adapter?

* i think it is active - i have read somewhere that if the PS2>USB adapter has two inputs: one for keyboard and one for mouse, it is active. I'm not sure, if it's true, though. I have this one, so I wouldn't need to buy another one if it could work like that.

Do they even make RGB prebuilts with Gateron yellows in them?

Well, the interface looks to be 5-pin Din. Most people who aren't keyboard and/or computer collectors/fanatics are not gong to have any way to interface it with a computer in order to try to test it. For $6, a board's worth of Cherry switches of any kind is a good deal. Those are what people would call "vintage" MX blacks though, which are sought-after by many. People buy boards, working or not, just to desolder those and put them in something else. Personally, I would leave the poor board alone if it works.

It might work, it might not. With 5-pin Din, we were approaching protocol standards, but it was still sort of the wild west. The Leading Edge DC-2014 and Zenith Z-150 beige/white label are good examples of this.  The DC-2014's protocol is ... sort of XT, but not quite. It is my impression that it won't even work with most original XT systems. The white/beige label Z-150 is sort of AT, but not quite. I have gotten mine to work with a handful of modern computers through their PS2 ports, but that's been very hit or miss. It doesn't even work with a Soarer's converter, and I have tried to help Hasu get the thing working perfectly with his TMK firmware (which I still need to get him some more data on).

If the board follows the AT protocol to a T, then a passive AT -> PS2 adapter chained with an active PS2 -> USB adapter will work. That's how I'm using this weird old Nan Tan board as we speak.

You would be correct. There was a weird period some time in the late 90s and/or early 2000s where keyboards were designed to work over both PS2 and USB, with which the passive adapters would work. That was a dark time in keyboard history anyway though. Almost everything mechanical made then was using Cherry switches, what little there was.

Offline icecold

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 16:17:09 »

Do they even make RGB prebuilts with Gateron yellows in them?

Well, the interface looks to be 5-pin Din. Most people who aren't keyboard and/or computer collectors/fanatics are not gong to have any way to interface it with a computer in order to try to test it. For $6, a board's worth of Cherry switches of any kind is a good deal. Those are what people would call "vintage" MX blacks though, which are sought-after by many. People buy boards, working or not, just to desolder those and put them in something else. Personally, I would leave the poor board alone if it works.

It might work, it might not. With 5-pin Din, we were approaching protocol standards, but it was still sort of the wild west. The Leading Edge DC-2014 and Zenith Z-150 beige/white label are good examples of this.  The DC-2014's protocol is ... sort of XT, but not quite. It is my impression that it won't even work with most original XT systems. The white/beige label Z-150 is sort of AT, but not quite. I have gotten mine to work with a handful of modern computers through their PS2 ports, but that's been very hit or miss. It doesn't even work with a Soarer's converter, and I have tried to help Hasu get the thing working perfectly with his TMK firmware (which I still need to get him some more data on).

If the board follows the AT protocol to a T, then a passive AT -> PS2 adapter chained with an active PS2 -> USB adapter will work. That's how I'm using this weird old Nan Tan board as we speak.

You would be correct. There was a weird period some time in the late 90s and/or early 2000s where keyboards were designed to work over both PS2 and USB, with which the passive adapters would work. That was a dark time in keyboard history anyway though. Almost everything mechanical made then was using Cherry switches, what little there was.

I think they don't make prebuild boards with RGB and gateron yellows.
Gateron yellows are my recent discovery - they sound lovely.
When i said i was just about to buy some prebuild board, i meant that it usually had gateron blues or gateron browns xD

I will post here on friday, because it's when i know if I won or not.
Thanks for your answers, they were really helpful for me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 16:22:09 by icecold »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 16:25:59 »
I think they don't make prebuild boards with RGB and gateron yellows.
Gateron yellows are my recent discovery - they sound lovely.

I will post here on friday, because it's when i know if I won or not.
Thanks for your answers, they were really helpful for me.

Gateron yellows feel great too, for linears. They're just the right weighting, if you ask me, and they're a lot smoother than MX. They don't actuate when you rest your fingers on them, but they're not so heavy as to be fatiguing like MX black, etc. I think you'll like them if linears are your thing.

Sounds good. Good luck in the auction. You're very welcome. I'm happy to help.

Offline icecold

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 16:29:39 »
I know it's been almost a month.
I didn't win - auction ended at above 50$.
I'm still thinking about those gateron yellows :) I'm looking for some summer job to get some money first, though.
See ya next time. I will try to update this post later, when i get to build some nice keyboard.