Author Topic: Just wanted you all to know...  (Read 23735 times)

Offline British

Just wanted you all to know...
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 01:53:46 »
Ah yes, those toasts we indeed call pain perdu... though I'm not a big fan.
I take it french steak is only about the sauce.
French fries is well known around here.

But french coca cola ?! :eek:
Sounds scary... but not as scary as what that french TV might be (besides crappy series).

Oh well, cultures...

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 02:03:02 »
Quote from: wellington1869;201852
dont forget french fries. And I know how much the french love american cheese ;)

'french toast' just sounds so much more appetizing than 'eggy bread'.

The absolute bestest is the French Vegan Tex-Mex Spanish 4-Egg Scramble over Dutch Sunrise.

Ok, I made up the "over Dutch Sunrise" part. That must have been a really bad translation I saw at a Chinese restaurant.

British, we're totally kidding.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline British

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 02:31:34 »
How dare you make fun of me ?!

I'll go french-kung-fu on you, with my, er... french katana-of-awesomeness !

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 08:58:48 »
Quote from: British;201859
How dare you make fun of me ?!

I'll go french-kung-fu on you, with my, er... french katana-of-awesomeness !

so are you british-french?

(if so, i have several more jokes about food ;) )

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline chimera15

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 09:27:34 »
Quote from: kishy;201790
Now, without being an expert on the topic, perhaps I'm overstepping my bounds...but...

It seems to me that the concept of bisexuality is an attraction to both genders, be it equal or otherwise, but significant enough in both directions that you could end up in a relationship with either one.

According to what you seem to be suggesting, in order for someone to be bi, they would need to maintain two simultaneous relationships, one with a male and one with a female, dedicating equal time and resources of the emotional, physical, and financial nature to both (because, unless I misunderstood, you seem to be suggesting that a) your orientation will change exclusively towards the gender of who you are currently dating and b) you cannot be attracted to anything besides that which you are presently dating)

I'm sure the person still thinks their bi, but no one else does, especially not the person they're dating.  Was Anne Heche bi when she was with Ellen Degeneres?  Is she bi now that she's married with a child to a man?  I suppose, but at the time she was clearly defined as being a lesbian, not bi, and now she's clearly heterosexual.  Perhaps by the establishment historical relationships you can say, yes she's certainly bi, but at the time she's attracted to one sex or another, it's not clear.  If you happen upon a guy kissing another guy, you don't say, look at those bi people, which they may or may not be, you say, oh they're gay.

You can't define who the person will be attracted to, as they're basing their attraction purely on individuals, so defining them as bi, is just a way of saying they can be either hetero, or gay, depending on who they wish to be with at the time.  So it's not wrong to say that Harkness is gay, especially since he had a steady boyfriend though most of the show.

It's really a semantic thing to say, he's bi. It's the difference of siding with the character, and viewing the character externally. As if him being bi, is less of a big deal of him being the main character of a sci-fi spinoff that was originally meant for children. In reality it's worse because bi people have been proven to be the main spreaders of sexual disease among populations.

Him making out with James Marsters was a high factor of being disgusted watching a tv show for me.  In my mind because of that he'll always be considered gay. lol
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 July 2010, 09:44:00 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 09:43:53 »
its a good existential question: what defines us sexually?
a) biology?
b) desires?
c) or actual actions?

personally i tend to think c. everyone's bi in the sense of capacity to be attracted by anything that moves.
ie, biologically nothing prevents us from having sex with pretty much anything or anyone.
In terms of desires, i see desires as something culturally determined more than anything else.
but acting on (a) or (b)  is another matter, its when the potentiality becomes an actuality.

Its like in minority report. You cant define a person until the act is done regardless of desire or other potentiality. At least from the point of view of the state. So I tend towards (c) as the defining moment.

Of course this tends to offend the LGBT crowd, who lately have tended towards biological definitions.  I actually think they're shooting themselves in the foot when they do that. We've spent a long time getting away from genetic definitions of identity, only to be pulled back into it by the LGBT crowd themselves! (ie, the "born that way" argument is, I think, actually counterproductive to the fight for LGBT civil rights and equality)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 09:47:02 »
hell, even (c) has its problems; we often hear about people who 'experimented in college' but dont really consider their identity bound by that experimentation, even tho that experimentation was, presumably, actual acts.

I think people choose to define their identity on the basis of a, b, or c, but they switch between the three models on the convenience of the particular moment, and this lack of an agreed-upon definition in part contributes to the heated 'debates'.  But, at the same time, I dont think we'll ever have a clear definition of sexuality anyway, because
a) its in reality itself quite complex
b) any attempt at definition is going to alienate a sizeable population who will reject that definition
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 July 2010, 09:53:01 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 09:53:54 »
how does this relate to keyboards? Easy! I had sex with my Topre
:)

(Tho i considered it a "she" for the duration ;)  Which must mean i'm hetero after all ;)

Not that there's anything wrong with that?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 10:08:26 »
Bro, there's a lot of things wrong with that.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 10:11:12 »
Quote from: itlnstln;201914
Bro, there's a lot of things wrong with that.

tee hee :)

Offline British

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 11:30:20 »
Quote from: wellington1869;201902
so are you british-french?

(if so, i have several more jokes about food ;) )

Just french.

Offline gr1m

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 11:44:09 »
Both the Brits and the French sucked at this World Cup. You should change your username to German (not that they won this World Cup but they generally perform well).

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 13:39:31 »
Quote from: British;201945
Just french.

lol, so you are british-french.  thats interesting, I imagine it might make for some really ambiguous loyalties on your part ;)

Offline British

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 13:44:32 »
Quote from: wellington1869;201980
lol, so you are british-french.

Meh... as I said I'm only french, British is only a nickname (my only blatant lack of originality in names, back in the days, when I was creating my character on Ultima V, if you must know).

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 14:55:21 »
See what I mean about this place?
:bounce:

Yup, still love you guys!
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 15:10:02 »
ultima V rocked

Offline chimera15

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 15:36:16 »
I'm a typosexual.  I'm only sexually attracted to people who are typing.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 16:24:11 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;202007
See what I mean about this place?
:bounce:

I have a friend who's into semantic mapping. He'd either have a field day trying to plot out discussions here or he'd immediately announce his retirement.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray