Author Topic: M13s  (Read 4143 times)

Offline slam

M13s
« on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 23:44:53 »
Lately I've been obsessing over M13s .. happened to find these:

M13 #1
M13 #2

Don't know if the price is good or not but figured I'd post them anyway :)

(and my first post on this forum as well (I've been lurking some lately) :)

Offline TexasFlood

M13s
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 00:33:13 »
Quote from: slam;200884

M13 #1
M13 #2

Depends on what they go for, they can get crazy towards the end.  I should have got one when some where available a while back but missed out.  I went another direction and got one of the below and like it, although I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.  I'm so hooked on thinkpad style keyboards that this is pretty good, not perfect but pretty good.  That isn't to say I won't get an M13 if the right deal comes along, :biggrin:.

Offline meese

M13s
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 00:40:58 »
Cool find, been obsessing over these too since I got my endurapro. Also first post and lurker.

Offline EverythingIBM

M13s
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 00:58:44 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;200888
Depends on what they go for, they can get crazy towards the end.  I should have got one when some where available a while back but missed out.  I went another direction and got one of the below and like it, although I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.  I'm so hooked on thinkpad style keyboards that this is pretty good, not perfect but pretty good.  That isn't to say I won't get an M13 if the right deal comes along, :biggrin:.

Show Image

That looks nice. I like the thinkpad keyboards -- but the touchpad is so ANNOYING; which is why I disabled it. But I still don't like the recess. So those are really good, never seen them like that though.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline EverythingIBM

M13s
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 01:01:28 »

M13 #1
M13 #2

The second one has the right shift key really worn down.

Watch the prices rise, they will on the end. Plus there may be snipers.

The M13s are really not all that great (especially for such insane prices). People buy them mainly 'cause they're black. Well, I LIKE VINTAGE BEIGE! MOAR BEIGE MOAR BEIGE.

Offline slam

M13s
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 01:11:28 »
Quote from: meese;200890
Cool find, been obsessing over these too since I got my endurapro. Also first post and lurker.

That's funny ... I recently bought an endura pro as well because at the time I couldn't find an M13.  I'm curious what you think of yours.  I love that it's buckling spring but have a few issues with it.  At first I really didn't like the trackpoint but I'm getting used to it.  And it doesn't sound like an M.  But I think what bugs me the most is it's shape .. It's just not the same as the M..

Anyway .. Looking forward to using an M13 soon :)

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
M13s
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 01:14:53 »
"Once you go black..."

M13s kick ass. If those somehow end at their starting bids someone will be very lucky and very happy.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline slam

M13s
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 01:17:45 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;200894
The M13s are really not all that great (especially for such insane prices). People buy them mainly 'cause they're black. Well, I LIKE VINTAGE BEIGE! MOAR BEIGE MOAR BEIGE.

Heh .. I suppose I have to find out the hard way :). I did just pick up a beige M13 so that counts for something, right?

Offline mcdonc

M13s
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 01:36:11 »
Quote from: slam;200895
That's funny ... I recently bought an endura pro as well because at the time I couldn't find an M13.  I'm curious what you think of yours.  I love that it's buckling spring but have a few issues with it.  At first I really didn't like the trackpoint but I'm getting used to it.  And it doesn't sound like an M.  But I think what bugs me the most is it's shape .. It's just not the same as the M..

I just got an EnduraPro (actually a few of them) for the first time.  The case construction is terrible, the keys themselves are pretty crappy, and the trackpoint is kinda weird, but the feel of typing on it is really great.  The ones I have are relatively new; from 2006-2008.  The EnduraPro might be the best M I've typed on so far out of the six or so different models I own of Ms.  It sounds like an M to me, albeit a lot less pingy than my older ones (which I guess you could chalk up to newness).

I also had an M13... it was nice, but not that much nicer than the EnduraPro.
Owned: bunches of Model Ms,  Model F AT, Dell AT101W, Amiga 500.

Offline EverythingIBM

M13s
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 01:41:04 »
Quote from: kishy;200897
"Once you go black..."

M13s kick ass. If those somehow end at their starting bids someone will be very lucky and very happy.

Once you go vintage, you'll never go back.

Personally, all the computers made today are black, so, I prefer the vintage beige colours as a break from it all.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
M13s
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 01:50:19 »
Meh.

Why's a NeXT so cool beside other equal-age computers? Because it's black.

Black with silver trim is the best way to go.
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

M13s
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 02:21:11 »
Quote from: kishy;200906
Meh.

There were black computers before the NeXT, like the Altairs and whatnot. Of course, Steve Jobs ushering the era of black shiny keys, and then ditched it by making WHITE keyboards now. Thanks Steve. The NeXT computers were garbage. And IBM only really made black variations for business stuff (for a time), the home users got the cool beige ;)

Come to think of it, beige is the perfect colour for keyboards, for example:
A) beige doesn't get shiny like black.
B) beige doesn't get dirty like white.
C) Beige keeps its consistency and looks better.
D) Beige has many variations so you can have two-tone keys. Beige and grey-beige.

Offline TexasFlood

M13s
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 08:25:10 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;200893
That looks nice. I like the thinkpad keyboards -- but the touchpad is so ANNOYING; which is why I disabled it. But I still don't like the recess. So those are really good, never seen them like that though.

Couldn't agree more which was one of the attractive points about this newer model as it doesn't have the touchpad.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
M13s
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 08:38:57 »
Quote from: kishy;200906
Meh.

The OS was quite advanced for its time. They also had some pretty good hardware. Expensive, but then again, so was every other Unix workstation back then.

Offline meese

M13s
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 19:30:33 »
Quote from: slam;200895

I love it. Best keyboard I have ever owned and definitely worth the money. I only used my grandma's old IBM when I was a kid so I really can't compare it to anything  though. Coming from a Dell Latitude trackpoint, the endurapro's trackpoint is acceptable. It also doesn't drift every 5 seconds like my Latitude.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
M13s
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 19:59:33 »

I haven't used a single Thinkpad with a trashpad and I'm proud of it.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline TexasFlood

M13s
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 20:04:03 »

Quote from: microsoft windows;201125
I haven't used a single Thinkpad with a trashpad and I'm proud of it.

I have but good news is you can disable them, which I've done quickly.  This is unlike the external version which can't be disabled, argh!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
M13s
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 20:07:30 »
I bet I can disable any touchpad with a chain saw.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline TexasFlood

M13s
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 21:09:23 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;201130
I bet I can disable any touchpad with a chain saw.
Don't think it didn't occur to me, :smile:.  Might have done if I had owned that one.  I tried opening it to see if there was something I could unplug to disable it but nothing I tried that way worked.  I have no doubt there is some hardware way to disable it but nothing I could identify.  Maybe there is a software approach I missed.  Also googled up a creative guy who had solved the same problem by cutting a thin plastic cover to fit out of an empty pasta container or something and physically covering thereby blocking it from working, so might have tried that.  But I decided to pass and ended up getting the one without the touchpad.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 July 2010, 21:13:47 by TexasFlood »

Offline TexasFlood

M13s
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 21:23:16 »

M13 #1
M13 #2

This white BIN M13 might be a better deal cause I suspect the ones you linked to will run up well above that price in the last minutes & seconds.

Offline EverythingIBM

M13s
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 21:38:22 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;201140
This white BIN M13 might be a better deal cause I suspect the ones you linked to will run up well above that price in the last minutes & seconds.

Show Image

And the beige versions are a lot more rare, mostly black versions were made.

Offline TexasFlood

M13s
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 22:24:59 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;201144
And the beige versions are a lot more rare, mostly black versions were made.

Unfortunately I hadn't read the description earlier and would probably scare me off - "You are buying a Vintage IBM keyboard with a built in Mouse into the keypad I have only tested the keyboard part I could not get the mouse to work but maybe it doesn't like windows xp computers because thats what I tested it on. Looks to be in really clean shape. This is a PS/2 Model is M13 82G3281 Made in 1994. Please email me any other questions will be sold as described.".

Offline EverythingIBM

M13s
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 22:27:58 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;201163
Unfortunately I hadn't read the description earlier and would probably scare me off - "You are buying a Vintage IBM keyboard with a built in Mouse into the keypad I have only tested the keyboard part I could not get the mouse to work but maybe it doesn't like windows xp computers because thats what I tested it on. Looks to be in really clean shape. This is a PS/2 Model is M13 82G3281 Made in 1994. Please email me any other questions will be sold as described.".

Another thing interesting is that the camera says 2001 for the photo. The camera's date could be wrong... but still.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
M13s
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 22:34:37 »

...which is BS, because it's a 100% standard PS/2 pointing device and will work on all systems so-supporting (Windows 3.1 through 7 being a good way to put it).

Assuming the TP is either broken or a ribbon is disconnected/torn.

Quote from: EverythingIBM;201166
Another thing interesting is that the camera says 2001 for the photo. The camera's date could be wrong... but still.

Camera dates reset if you take the batteries out for long enough (typically under a minute, but long enough to at least swap in new batteries).
kishy.ca

Offline TexasFlood

M13s
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 22:34:52 »
Quote from: kishy;201168
...which is BS, because it's a 100% standard PS/2 pointing device and will work on all systems so-supporting (Windows 3.1 through 7 being a good way to put it).

Assuming the TP is either broken or a ribbon is disconnected/torn.
Probably so.

Quote from: EverythingIBM;201166
I find it relatively rare, in general, that folks have their camera clocks set correctly.  But it is odd that it would be right there so bold and obvious, and wrong.

Offline slam

M13s
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 03:00:02 »

Yeah I saw that one too but I just figured the trackpoint was broken and passed it up.  If only I'd known 15 years ago I was going to want these today I could have stocked up :).  Of course they probably cost as much or more new...

Offline TexasFlood

M13s
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 03:07:26 »
Quote from: slam;201497
Yeah I saw that one too but I just figured the trackpoint was broken and passed it up.  If only I'd known 15 years ago I was going to want these today I could have stocked up :).  Of course they probably cost as much or more new...

Didn't see that blurb about the trackpoint not working at first.  The black one with 7 hours to go is up to $50, wonder how high it will go?

Offline meese

M13s
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 10:12:05 »
Sold for 52. Tried sniping it at the last 20 seconds but was outbid 2 times quickly :(