Author Topic: IBM model M - some keys stopped working  (Read 4850 times)

Offline adi.hodos

IBM model M - some keys stopped working
« on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 20:26:08 »
Hello everyone, I would like some advice. I have acquired an old IBM model M (1391406) - manufactured in the UK, in the year 1990. It worked perfectly until 3 days ago, when some keys refused to send any scan codes to the OS (k, 0, p), although they still make that clicky sound. So I have dismantled the keyboard and cleaned it up. There were traces of some sticky fluid spilled in it a long time ago (probably coffee) and some of the springs were a little bit rusty (the upper end). After cleaning it, I assembled it back, and it worked flawlessly for another 2 days. But now the same keys don't work anymore. Is there anything that can be done ? Could the connecting cable be faulty ? Or the springs ?
I will try to upload some photos that I took in the cleaning process.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 22:53:49 »
If you're handy with a volt meter you could check the connections on the motherboard. On the other hand, a replacement will cost only about 20 to 30 bucks on ebay.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 23:27:11 »
Quote from: wellington1869;202137
a replacement will cost only about 20 to 30 bucks on ebay.

Or, you know, here on geekhack...
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline adi.hodos

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 14:17:53 »
Well I don't think that the cable or the motherboard connectors are at fault here, since only some keys do not work (k, -, 0, p). And it's random, now it's working, I'm typing at it and all the keys are ok. This is very strange... Could it be the fact that the springs have a little rust at their upper end ? If so, is it possible to replace the springs ?

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 14:23:23 »
Quote from: adi.hodos;202296
Could it be the fact that the springs have a little rust at their upper end ?

That's unlikely to matter, because the mechanism is not capacitive.

I believe Unicomp refurbishes Model Ms at a decent price.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 14:25:27 »
A question: how long does it take these problems to surface?

Do you keep your computer on all day, every day without shutting down at night?

My suspicion, if this takes a while to happen and the computer is on for ages at a time, would be that there may be a power issue of some kind which only surfaces after having the keyboard (known to be a power hungry one) powered up for a long time.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 15:05:37 »
Quote from: timw4mail;202299
That's unlikely to matter, because the mechanism is not capacitive.

Wouldn't matter either way... in the capacitive mechanism, the hammer is made out of conductive plastic, so it's not going to rust.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 July 2010, 15:31:52 by ch_123 »

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 17:24:50 »
Quote from: kishy;202301
A question: how long does it take these problems to surface?

Do you keep your computer on all day, every day without shutting down at night?

My suspicion, if this takes a while to happen and the computer is on for ages at a time, would be that there may be a power issue of some kind which only surfaces after having the keyboard (known to be a power hungry one) powered up for a long time.

I've got a computer with an M5-2 and it's been on for a few months. No problems.

Power issues with keyboards tend to happen when you start the computer.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline adi.hodos

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 09:42:34 »
Sometimes it works for a period after booting the computer. Other times it simply refuses to send those keystrokes from booting until shutdown.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 09:46:53 »
Quote from: adi.hodos;202576
Sometimes it works for a period after booting the computer. Other times it simply refuses to send those keystrokes from booting until shutdown.

I assume you have it hooked up via PS/2? If so, you should try and see if a USB adapter will work.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline adi.hodos

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 09:51:08 »
Yes, it's hooked via PS2. My motherboard is a MSI P35-Neo2. I'll try to find a PS2 to USB adapter.