Author Topic: Wireless mechanical keyboards  (Read 16310 times)

Offline aegrotatio

Wireless mechanical keyboards
« on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 09:11:41 »
Could this be the first wireless mechanical keyboard?

http://www.ione.com.tw/2009/Product/6A_GE-U27.asp

Have there been others like this?
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline niz

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 12:28:17 »
Not sure if this is the first but I like the fact it uses Cherry blues. Still would never buy a wireless kb though. Wonder what the price will be.
       Filco Blue
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 12:52:02 »
Filco made a Majestouch with bluetooth but it never got certified by the US FCC and was discontinued (if my memory serves me correctly).

Edit: My memory serves me correctly.

Edit 2: Majestouch confirms that Diatec isn't making bluetooth keyboards right now.

« Last Edit: Tue, 13 July 2010, 13:03:18 by muchadoaboutnothing »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 12:52:54 »
Quote from: aegrotatio;202232
Could this be the first wireless mechanical keyboard?

http://www.ione.com.tw/2009/Product/6A_GE-U27.asp

Have there been others like this?

how much?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 13:47:44 »
Price has not been announced, but the non-wireless MSRP is $99.  I'm glad it doesn't say Bluetooth since that seems to add $30-$50 to the price.

Bluetooth was an unfortunate choice for Filco.  All the non-Bluetooth 2.4 GHz boards are cheaper.  The 900 MHz (early Microsoft) and 27 MHz (Logitech) boards have also always been less expensive.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige

Offline shrap

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 16:14:23 »
Still has a separate mouse.

Don't know why wireless keyboards are made without trackpoints; if I had a table for my mouse, what's the point of wireless?

Offline unicomp

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 16:32:23 »
Quote from: shrap;202322
Still has a separate mouse.

Don't know why wireless keyboards are made without trackpoints; if I had a table for my mouse, what's the point of wireless?

To reduce the amount of clutter, in the form of wires, on the desk.

Offline isp

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 16:49:51 »
so u can properly throw it after some 12 year old lands another headshot on you :)
hhkb

Offline niz

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 16:57:30 »
Quote from: unicomp;202326
To reduce the amount of clutter, in the form of wires, on the desk.

This is kind of a weak argument IMO. If properly organized, wires take up very little space.
       Filco Blue
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline unicomp

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 02:35:02 »
Quote from: niz;202332
This is kind of a weak argument IMO. If properly organized, wires take up very little space.

That is not the point, something does not have to occupy a lot of space for it to cause unsightly and annoying clutter. Wires to my keyboard and mouse are currently the only things, other than the actual keyboard, mouse and computer, that are on my desk; I would be somewhat tempted by a wireless set that was of good quality for the reason that the wires clutter the desk and make it look a bit of a mess. In reality, of course, the options for keyboards, in particular, are vastly reduced by this criterion and thus I choose to live with the wire.

Offline niz

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 10:59:04 »
Quote from: unicomp;202511
That is not the point, something does not have to occupy a lot of space for it to cause unsightly and annoying clutter. Wires to my keyboard and mouse are currently the only things, other than the actual keyboard, mouse and computer, that are on my desk; I would be somewhat tempted by a wireless set that was of good quality for the reason that the wires clutter the desk and make it look a bit of a mess. In reality, of course, the options for keyboards, in particular, are vastly reduced by this criterion and thus I choose to live with the wire.

Who wants to be changing batteries every other month only to realize you don't have any left after using those last 2 AAs for your cable remote? Seems a little obsessive compulsive to think a few small wires are clutter. Just my 2¢
       Filco Blue
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline unicomp

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 11:09:05 »
Quote from: niz;202612
Who wants to be changing batteries every other month only to realize you don't have any left after using those last 2 AAs for your cable remote? Seems a little obsessive compulsive to think a few small wires are clutter. Just my 2¢

Indeed, this is another of the reasons that would stop me from using a wireless keyboard. I admit that being tidy is somewhat of a compulsion for myself.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 11:46:04 »
Who needs a wireless keyboard? What's wrong with having a wire on it?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Bumrush

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 15:27:25 »
I, too, would love to have a wireless mech keyboard for the same personal preference as niz.  I agree that the battery issue could become a nuisance, but if they could engineer it similar to my Logitech Performance Mouse MX where the detachable USB cable serves as a recharger for the device, that would be boss.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 15:43:49 »
I remember Kishy talking about making a wireless Model M. I'm not sure if it worked though. You'll have to ask him.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 16:11:51 »
Nah, matrix differences between the keyboard I wanted to use for it.

My plan would have involved taking the controller PCB from a Logitech wireless keyboard and just transplanting that into the Model M. However, that requires an identical matrix to work properly.

Then I examined a membrane swap but a) it would require a bolt mod and b) the spacing was ever-so-slightly-off on the keys.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Lenny_Nero

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:19:23 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;202631

I'm another that does not see the need for a wireless keyboard.

But if they could sort one out, so its a worth while keyboard with a good switch and works as well as having a cable and can some how charge its self, or you could get 12 months plus from the batteries ...then I would think of it.

But I dont really have a problem with the wires, I cant, what with the amount I can see from sitting here.
Filco Zero, Viglen DFK 2020UKF104, DTK SPK-102a, Panasonic Biz 500
Ducky 1087 Chicony KB-5191, G80-1856HQMGB Cherry G80-1000HFD and others
 G80-11908HRMIT, Tipro MID-KM128a, Access AKEOXPB312/2 (20x7), Access AKEOCTI635/1(15x6)

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:24:28 »
Yeah, built in rechargeable battery (but user serviceable for when it needed replacement) and a standard mini-B USB plug for charging would be a beautiful arrangement.
kishy.ca

Offline niz

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:34:23 »
Quote from: Bumrush;202692
I, too, would love to have a wireless mech keyboard for the same personal preference as niz.  I agree that the battery issue could become a nuisance, but if they could engineer it similar to my Logitech Performance Mouse MX where the detachable USB cable serves as a recharger for the device, that would be boss.

Not me bud. Never have liked any type of wireless keyboads/mice. Radio interference is also another downside.
       Filco Blue
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 18:57:14 »
I don't like the lack of reliability in wireless products and they often have decreased performance.  
I do see the need.  The main need is media pcs, where you want to get several feet away from your computer.  If you're operating your computer from the couch, the lazyboy, or wandering around, wires start to create issues.  
You can get around a lot of things by just having the wireless remote mouse and you can use an onscreen keyboard, but either way, you're still wanting a wireless peripheral.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 19:10:17 »
Or when you're at a conference at work and you have to pass the keyboard around. That's where the springy keyboard cables DON'T come in handy unless you want to shoot your keyboard across the room.

I personally do not use wireless anything with computers. I use ethernet, wired keyboards and wired mice.

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 23:24:06 »
I wonder a bit if you've experienced newer wireless keyboards.  The last problem we had were the original Microsoft 900 MHz models when we had more than one in an office--they would interfere with each other because their radios were too strong.  Since then they started using smart spread-spectrum and frequency hopping and they're all pretty good now, including the non-Bluetooth 2.4 GHz ones, too.

Even my $30 Logitech works perfectly, and the battery literally lasts at least 6 months with daily usage.  The 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz last about 4 months.

But I do have a crate full of old-school 27 MHz Logitech refurbs that I thought were a good deal but couldn't keep up with my typing, so old wireless boards are definitely crap.

Today all of those problems have been solved.  I recommend if you haven't done so already to take a look at the new generation of wireless boards before ruling them out.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 23:34:35 »
Quote from: niz;202612

Exactly my thoughts. And all the cords are BEHIND my desk, it's not like I can even see them, they're not in the way. You still have to have power cords and monitor cords. So what's one spindly PS/2 cord to the mix?

The upkeep on wireless is too much. When I get something, I don't expect to keep maintaining it, or constantly spending money for it to keep working (in this case batteries -- it also depends which type you buy, some hold more change than others; rechargeable are too expensive, especially AAA).

Quote from: aegrotatio;202834
I wonder a bit if you've experienced newer wireless keyboards.  The last problem we had were the original Microsoft 900 MHz models when we had more than one in an office--they would interfere with each other because their radios were too strong.  Since then they started using smart spread-spectrum and frequency hopping and they're all pretty good now, including the non-Bluetooth 2.4 GHz ones, too.

Even my $30 Logitech works perfectly, and the battery literally lasts at least 6 months with daily usage.  The 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz last about 4 months.

But I do have a crate full of old-school 27 MHz Logitech refurbs that I thought were a good deal but couldn't keep up with my typing, so old wireless boards are definitely crap.

Today all of those problems have been solved.  I recommend if you haven't done so already to take a look at the new generation of wireless boards before ruling them out.

I'm sure a 9-foot cord is suffice for wireless. A wireless mouse has its benefits for more movement (I still prefer wired mice), but a keyboard [should] stay stationed at your desk.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Bumrush

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 23:38:13 »
I'm surprised by the backlash over wireless.  I am an avid gamer (although not of the FPS or twitch variety) and a mediocre typist and I have very few reservations about giving wireless a shot.  Admittedly, I've never used a wireless keyboard for any extensive amount of time, so perhaps others' negative real-world experiences are the source of the Hatorade.  

But humor me for a second here.  All things being equal, if you could somehow magically overcome any issues (real, perceived, or otherwise) with operational reliability, battery life, etc., would you still choose to be tethered to your PC?  You ask why I would want a wireless keyboard.  I'm wondering why you don't.

Seriously, tell me why.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 23:57:16 »
I don't hate wireless keyboards.  Assuming a wireless keyboard was 100% the same as my preferred wired keyboard, just no wire, including price, then for home I'd get a wireless keyboard.

Yea sure, from an idealist point of view, wireless has more applications than wired, but as a realist I won't be purchasing a wireless, because it doesn't meet the requirements for my daily driver.

Wireless was what the companies were all pushing at trade shows, so options and continued improvement is to be expected.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline Xuan

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 00:05:54 »
Quote from: Bumrush;202841

But humor me for a second here.  All things being equal, if you could somehow magically overcome any issues (real, perceived, or otherwise) with operational reliability, battery life, etc., would you still choose to be tethered to your PC?  You ask why I would want a wireless keyboard.  I'm wondering why you don't.

Seriously, tell me why.

passwords.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 00:09:09 »
I'm surprised by the backlash over wireless.

no backlash from me. I hate wires with a passion. I want a completely wireless world, including video and usb. if they can get me wireless power transmission, i'd take that too.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 00:39:33 »
I'm surprised by the backlash over wireless.  I am an avid gamer (although not of the FPS or twitch variety) and a mediocre typist and I have very few reservations about giving wireless a shot.  Admittedly, I've never used a wireless keyboard for any extensive amount of time, so perhaps others' negative real-world experiences are the source of the Hatorade.  

Seriously, tell me why.

We're vintage.

Is that a good enough reason?

EDIT:
well actually, wires allow rewiring and possibilities of different interfaces. With wireless, you're hooped for only wireless. Some older computers can't handle wireless, so you're hopeless to create an interface WHEN it is possible with wires, even if a lot of tricks are required.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 01:20:27 »
All the current and most of the old Logitech keyboards have encryption, just check the manual how to enable it.  I don't know if Microsoft keyboards have that feature, though.  The knock-off, generic wireless keyboards certainly don't but I'm unsure about Bluetooth though I think Bluetooth has some kind of inherent encryption in it.

Still, I have to say that I have a hard time receiving my wireless access point signal outside of my house so I'm not terribly worried about people sniffing my keyboard signals.  For real.

Offline audioave10

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 02:12:27 »
For me, I don't really need wireless and it restricts my choices.
I also hate batteries.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline whininggit

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 02:44:23 »
I use a wireless mouse, purely to avoid cable snagging on the edge of the keyboard/mouse tray. For the keyboard, I prefer wired. I can't be dealing with having to swap batteries, nor the delays that occur from time to time with the frequency hopping.

The mouse overcomes the first problem by having a charging cable that connects to the 'front' and effectively turns it into a wired mouse whilst charging, so you can continue to use it.

Interference with other 2.4GHz devices seems impossible to avoid. I had more success with the old 27MHz wireless.
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 07:23:33 »
Quote from: whininggit;202871
Interference with other 2.4GHz devices seems impossible to avoid. I had more success with the old 27MHz wireless.

The band is a disaster because everything is using it. The band is a disaster.

I really don't care whether the keyboard is wired or wireless myself at my desk. However, I have been considering building an HTPC, and having to compromise would kind of suck. I lack the hardware hacking abilities to do a mod (let me put it this way, none of you would feel comfortable with me having a soldering iron around your devices, and possibly your person). You're going to do less typing on an HTPC, but still, if I could have a mechanical it would definitely be preferable.

The mouse, I'm torn over. I hate having the occasional issues with interference but I find I have more issues with the wire getting caught on my keyboard/other stuff on my desk. So I prefer wireless. As far as any sort of delay, it's imperceptible to me.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 07:58:07 »
I remember wireless internet kicking me off the cordless phone thanks to that 2.4Ghz band.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 07:59:11 »

Seriously, tell me why.

If it ain't tethered to my computer, I might lose it.

Offline Morning Song

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 08:35:49 »
No matter how impractical it would be, i'd still drool over a bluetooth buckling spring board, like the one that the Kiwi fellow in the Modifications forum put together. USB Chargeable would just make it sweeter.
Clicky keyboards and big trackballs forever!

Keyboards:
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401, Unicomp Customizer 104, PS/2 modded IBM Model F Terminal 6110668 (current favorite)
Cherry: Filco Majestouch 105 Blue NKRO w/ doubleshots
ALPS: Dell AT101W Black SNAFU (Silent No-longer; All Fukka\'d Up), Siig Minitouch KB1948 Geek Hack Spacesaver edition, Focus FK-2001 w/ WinKeys+XM Alps
Rubber Dome: Belkin F8E887-BLK, Silitek SK-6000, Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard

Works in Progress:
Prism ATX N9 Keyboard w/ Fukkas (Clickleaf Donor), Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2/02 Brown NKRO, Cherry G81-7000HPCUS-2/02 (Doubleshot donors), Unicomp Customizer 101 (Springs donor, needs boltmod)

Pointing Devices:
Kensington Expert Mouse 7, Wacom Intuos3 6x8 w/ classic pen

Looking to buy/trade for:Dolch Cherry keycaps, Northgate Omnikey (With Fkeys on top, or both top & left), IBM Model F AT

Offline melmartinez01

• http://5ecommercesoftware.com
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 09:14:46 »
is there a cheaper price?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 09:41:03 »
It's just less trouble to plug your keyboard into the computer. No batteries, no charging, no interference, just a keyboard.

Offline Lenny_Nero

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 10:14:09 »
I can sort of understand the HTPC thing, I do have a few wireless keyboards I have been given over the years, and age might be something,
but when I wanted to use one of them with my HTPC I could  not there was no chance of the signal getting thru in any usable form, even when everything was in the same room.

So I just have a few PS/2 cable extenders running from a splitter cable all hidden down to where I sit, and then I have an old Fellows steel backed thing that sits behind the chair I can use if needed, but most of the time I can just use the remote I got with a TV card many years back for the pause, skip and rewind thing.
Filco Zero, Viglen DFK 2020UKF104, DTK SPK-102a, Panasonic Biz 500
Ducky 1087 Chicony KB-5191, G80-1856HQMGB Cherry G80-1000HFD and others
 G80-11908HRMIT, Tipro MID-KM128a, Access AKEOXPB312/2 (20x7), Access AKEOCTI635/1(15x6)

Offline niz

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 10:51:18 »
Quote from: melmartinez01;202933
is there a cheaper price?

For what?

Quote from: microsoft windows;202938
It's just less trouble to plug your keyboard into the computer. No batteries, no charging, no interference, just a keyboard.

Exactly!

Quote from: Lenny_Nero;202947
I can sort of understand the HTPC thing, I do have a few wireless keyboards I have been given over the years, and age might be something,
but when I wanted to use one of them with my HTPC I could  not there was no chance of the signal getting thru in any usable form, even when everything was in the same room.

So I just have a few PS/2 cable extenders running from a splitter cable all hidden down to where I sit, and then I have an old Fellows steel backed thing that sits behind the chair I can use if needed, but most of the time I can just use the remote I got with a TV card many years back for the pause, skip and rewind thing.

A HTPC is really the only place I'd use any sort of wireless. And even then, the distance I sit from my tv (approximately 10-15 ft.) is right on the cusp of the wireless ranges, even bluetooth. With that being said, the diNovo mini is pretty *****in for a HTPC driver/trackpad.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 July 2010, 10:52:25 by niz »
       Filco Blue
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 10:55:47 »
Quote from: niz;202962
Exactly!

Be careful...bad things happen to people who agree with MW.
kishy.ca

Offline gr1m

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:31:14 »
I wouldn't mind a wireless mouse because I always have problems with how freely my mouse moves (if the cable is dragging on the desk or not). My keyboard is stationary most of the time.

Offline sam113101

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 13:45:05 »
I have 2 monitors, a keyboard, a microphone and a lot of things on my desk. Using a wired mouse is awkward, I just can't move the mouse where I would want to move it, I don't feel free. My keyboard sits there and doesn't move, so I don't care if it has a wire or not, but I admit that wireless is nicer, cleaner. My keyboard sits 2 feet away from my monitors and we can see the cable, that sucks (Das S' cable is thick too). No wire would be nice.

A good wireless keyboard should tell you you'll need to change batteries before it stops working. Keeping extra batteries is a good idea too. Keyboards don't use batteries as much as wireless mice.

I've been surprised that the receiver does most of the job, and, I think, sends the same thing that a normal wired keyboard would send. It means I can browse the BIOS' config with my wireless keyboard without any problem. Don't need the OS*to be booted, don't know about bluetooth wireless keyboards though.
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 15:09:28 »
Hmm perhaps less assumption and more actual experience is needed to see if interference is really going to be a problem for your situation.  All of the past several generations of wireless boards, even the cheapie 27 MHz ones, employ spread-spectrum technology to avoid lost signals due to interference.  If you have busy wireless network it will still work fine.

For example, I have an access point on each floor of my house and a cordless phone smothering the entire 2.4 GHz ISSM band with noise.  Since they're all relatively modern devices all of my Bluetooth, 2.4 GHz wireless keyboards and mice, Nintendo DS ad-hoc networks, and Xbox360/PS3/Wii operate perfectly everywhere in the house.  An older Fellowes 2.4 GHz keyboard is not so great.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 15:53:06 »
Quote from: sam113101;203031
I have 2 monitors, a keyboard, a microphone and a lot of things on my desk. Using a wired mouse is awkward, I just can't move the mouse where I would want to move it, I don't feel free. My keyboard sits there and doesn't move, so I don't care if it has a wire or not, but I admit that wireless is nicer, cleaner. My keyboard sits 2 feet away from my monitors and we can see the cable, that sucks (Das S' cable is thick too). No wire would be nice.

A good wireless keyboard should tell you you'll need to change batteries before it stops working. Keeping extra batteries is a good idea too. Keyboards don't use batteries as much as wireless mice.

I've been surprised that the receiver does most of the job, and, I think, sends the same thing that a normal wired keyboard would send. It means I can browse the BIOS' config with my wireless keyboard without any problem. Don't need the OS*to be booted, don't know about bluetooth wireless keyboards though.

I prefer wired mice to wireless ones. Wireless mice are small and easy to lose. And so are their stupid little receivers.

Offline Bumrush

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 17:59:57 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;202916
If it ain't tethered to my computer, I might lose it.

"Oh dammit, I lost the keyboard again!"
"Did you check the seat cushions?"

Offline Morning Song

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 18:24:26 »
Quote from: Bumrush;203122
"Oh dammit, I lost the keyboard again!"
"Did you check the seat cushions?"

That's why we need wireless Model Ms. try getting THAT lost in the sofa.
Clicky keyboards and big trackballs forever!

Keyboards:
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401, Unicomp Customizer 104, PS/2 modded IBM Model F Terminal 6110668 (current favorite)
Cherry: Filco Majestouch 105 Blue NKRO w/ doubleshots
ALPS: Dell AT101W Black SNAFU (Silent No-longer; All Fukka\'d Up), Siig Minitouch KB1948 Geek Hack Spacesaver edition, Focus FK-2001 w/ WinKeys+XM Alps
Rubber Dome: Belkin F8E887-BLK, Silitek SK-6000, Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard

Works in Progress:
Prism ATX N9 Keyboard w/ Fukkas (Clickleaf Donor), Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2/02 Brown NKRO, Cherry G81-7000HPCUS-2/02 (Doubleshot donors), Unicomp Customizer 101 (Springs donor, needs boltmod)

Pointing Devices:
Kensington Expert Mouse 7, Wacom Intuos3 6x8 w/ classic pen

Looking to buy/trade for:Dolch Cherry keycaps, Northgate Omnikey (With Fkeys on top, or both top & left), IBM Model F AT

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 20:50:04 »

Wires get twisted when you lift and stow your keyboard a lot, like
- when you're using a wired graphics tablet to draw more often than you type.
- when you have two active wired keyboards on the same desk.
- when you have wired mice, trackballs, rollermouses, et al.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 July 2010, 20:52:19 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline sam113101

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 23:40:20 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;203076
I prefer wired mice to wireless ones. Wireless mice are small and easy to lose. And so are their stupid little receivers.

my wireless mouse is the same size that a wired mouse, except it weights more because of the two double A batteries
the tranceiver's size is okay, it's not a nano one
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 00:03:30 »
You know, now I'm interested in this discussion.

Are there, have there been, or will there be any keyboard dongles that can turn any keyboard into a wireless one, or does that defeat the purpose?  The application I'm thinking of is the desk that sits far away from the computer to make wireless necessary.

The more I think of this the more stupid it sounds, but was a product like this ever made?

Offline khokkanen

Thread resurrection
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 10:10:26 »
Return to the OP about Xarmor U27.

Here's my two cents: The Other Thread.

About the dongle: that would be so awesome. Absolutely marvelous. Only trouble with it would be that most keyboards have wires (cables) of at least 1.5 meters long - have fun figuring out what to do with it.

Yet if I had found a solution like this, I would have bought a second Das Keyboard long time ago (my first one was in an accident involving my little sister and glass of Coca-Cola).

On the matter of wires vs. wireless: I'm all for wireless. I can't stand wires and have yet to experience anything negative concerning my wireless input devices. Granted, they are my only 2.4 GHz devices and I'm not a twitch gamer nor do I expect the keyboard to record every keystroke when I hammer my face on to it. Yet I've spent many an hour playing FPS, RP, RTS and MMORP games with them.

And no, I do not have a dedicated gaming keyboard or mouse. I've managed with Logitech Pro 2000 Wireless keyboard and LX5 Cordless (although I'm now upgrading to M705 because of the annoying mechanical failure of LX5 - it keeps double-clicking almost every time I click normally with it).

I drool after Cyborg R.A.T. 9 and Razer Mamba but I doubt I'd find them enjoyable considering their short battery lives.
In my sights: Xarmor U9W
Currently use: Logitech PRO 2000, Logitech M705
Previously used: Das Keyboard II (blank keys), IBM Model M, Logitech LX5
Never ever going to use: anything by Microsoft. The OS I use only because of the games I play. Anything wired. I hate wires, cords and cables and suffer them only when no other options are available.