Author Topic: [IC] Purple Gherkin (update: preorder live)  (Read 6030 times)

Offline desipalen

[IC] Purple Gherkin (update: preorder live)
« on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 15:50:16 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] Pre-order Thread:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107788.0

Update: We had enough responses for me to go ahead and order a round of the boards. Because logistics are tricky right now when shipping to some countries, I've decided to sell these through an Etsy store. If there are any problems/preferences that preclude ordering through Etsy, please let me know and I'll make arrangements for you.

Update 2: The boards are being de-paneled and should ship to me in 48 hours!

I have wanted a Gherkin for years, but missed out on the color I really wanted.  I'm hoping there are others like me that would be interested in a 30-key board even if for novelty.  Please let me know if you're interested. If there is enough interest, I may see about milling a run of acrylic plates so as to show off the board better.

MOQ: 10
Price: 25 USD

Etsy Shop:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/843969691/purple-gherkin-v11

Top:

Bottom:

Design credit to: Aidan McQuay [math0ne]
https://github.com/math0ne/keyboard-gherkin/tree/master/pcb
https://aidan.codes/

Gerber files released under https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

« Last Edit: Tue, 04 August 2020, 17:36:12 by desipalen »

Offline AustinRH

Re: [IC] Purple Gherkin
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 15:54:58 »
Of course! I have been looking for something ut of the ordinary to build and purple is a great color

Offline KMPLSV

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 16:08:40 »
You had me at purple. It's my favorite color. But.....I have no idea what this PCB is for or what the Gherkin is lol. Ooof, what mechanical keyboard money spending rabbit hole is this new layout or concept gonna lead me down. I can already hear my wallet's butthole puckering up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Boy_314

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 16:16:58 »
nice. you should also consider the option for the bottom plate and standoffs.

Offline desipalen

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 17:16:15 »
You had me at purple. It's my favorite color. But.....I have no idea what this PCB is for or what the Gherkin is lol. Ooof, what mechanical keyboard money spending rabbit hole is this new layout or concept gonna lead me down. I can already hear my wallet's butthole puckering up.

http://www.40percent.club/2016/11/gherkin.html
It's a 30-key ultra-compact build.

Offline KMPLSV

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 17:19:32 »

Woah..... Crazy. I've been using mechanical boards for about 27 years or so, but anything smaller than TKL is unexplored territory to me at the moment. Tried to love 60% but just couldn't do it but I have a few 65% kits on the way. I might just try this out for ****s....and the flex-factor of course.

Offline desipalen

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 17:55:05 »

Woah..... Crazy. I've been using mechanical boards for about 27 years or so, but anything smaller than TKL is unexplored territory to me at the moment. Tried to love 60% but just couldn't do it but I have a few 65% kits on the way. I might just try this out for ****s....and the flex-factor of course.

Indeed. Teh flex factor is my primary motivation. Heads-up, this is an ortholinear board so it's likely *much* different than anything else you've used.

If you're like me, you will take about a week to get used to it and then find it difficult to go back to staggered. Although this may not be the build you fall in love with, you never know.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline desipalen

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 18:05:23 »
nice. you should also consider the option for the bottom plate and standoffs.
I'm trying to convert the Gerber files to DXFs now so I can see how long it would take to cut on my x-carve out of acrylic and maybe experiment with a couple of other materials.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer actually charges significantly more for the bottom plate than the board alone so I rulled them out. I did like the suggestion, however, of using a second board as a bottom plate.

Offline lhotse408

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 21:46:39 »
would cop 100%

Offline Pyk_

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 12:41:04 »
Perfect, it matches my Miuni32!

Offline desipalen

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 12:36:01 »
I think I count five [maybe six] in at this point.  I'm going update the original post with a Google form to collect responses (probably should have done that originally).

Offline Nudd

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 03:23:57 »
If your doing the acrylics I'm in, have a few gherkins so extra case option would be good :)

Offline yui

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 03:50:34 »
i am actually pretty curious, although i seen it as a big macro pad more that a keyboard, and being in Europe i don't know how expensive shipping would be. depending on that i would be interested in at least a purple pcb and the plates will also depend on pricing
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline desipalen

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 07:54:29 »
i am actually pretty curious, although i seen it as a big macro pad more that a keyboard, and being in Europe i don't know how expensive shipping would be. depending on that i would be interested in at least a purple pcb and the plates will also depend on pricing
That's a great question, actually. I know there are limitations with where USPS can ship to due to the COVID crisis.

I'm really glad you mentioned this. I may actually lost this on an Etsy store page just so I don't have to deal with the logistics.

Offline desipalen

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 08:00:24 »
If your doing the acrylics I'm in, have a few gherkins so extra case option would be good :)
If you know anyone with experience converting Gerber to useable SVGs, let me know. My x-carve is going to be in in the next week or so and I'll try to cut them to reduce the cost of making them.

I also have a local makerspace that has a nice laser cutter I might could make use of.

Offline desipalen

Re: [IC] Purple Gherkin (update: preorder live)
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 17:37:22 »
I had to undo the lock on this thread because my post in the GB forum has not yet been approved by the mods.