Author Topic: DZ65V2 (Hotswap) Strange Issue (Help!!!)  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Lawman1999

DZ65V2 (Hotswap) Strange Issue (Help!!!)
« on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 14:56:52 »
Hi! This is my first post on Geekhack, and I'm confident that you guys have a solution to my interesting problem. I recently bought a used DZ60V2 PCB, and for some reason when I press a key on either of the top 2 rows that corresponds with the other (eg. 1 and Q), it ends up triggering the other key. So when I press the number 1, the keyboard outputs 1g, and the same occurs when I press G. Is this fixable using software? I have flashed and reset it multiple times, but the problem still occurs. Thanks!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: DZ65V2 (Hotswap) Strange Issue (Help!!!)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 15:12:35 »
No that's not a software problem, it sounds like you have a short between the two rows.  It would be hard (though not impossible) to do this with bad soldering so have a look at the pins on the top of the square controller chip - are any joined up?  If in doubt post a pic :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Lawman1999

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 16:02:19 »
I am very much in doubt! Thank you for the help! I didn't notice anything off with the controller chip, but I've added photos here because I don't know what I'm looking for lol.

https://imgur.com/a/nkAohIP
https://imgur.com/a/5rCWME0

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 16:42:12 »
Eh... I don't know what I'm looking at in those pics either

This is what I was talking about - the square chip at the bottom is the controller for the board, it's connected to USB as well as all the switches and LEDs.

247940-0

All the pins around the chip should have spaces between them, from what you're seeing I suspect two across the top are joined.  That said they may not be across the top on the hotswap version...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Lawman1999

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 16:58:11 »
Ahh I apologize! Here are new images. You must be a keyboard psychic, because it looks like there are two pins connected! I found two of the chips you mentioned. On the U1 chip there are two pins connected on the right side, and on U2 there are two connected on the bottom left. Is there anything that I can do about this?

https://imgur.com/a/ahMWvof
https://imgur.com/a/qE15lw7

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 17:47:33 »
Keyboards are simple things really, and I've seen a lot of DZ60 related posts lately.  This is the first hotswap though, which is why I guessed the wrong place for the short - next time I'll look even better!

Not sure what U2 is, it's probably for RGB.  Looks like the two pins bottom left are attached to a fat trace so they're probably ground, we'll ignore that for now.

U1 is the main chip and that is definitely a short on the right side.  Looking at the firmware config those pins are for the top two rows so that's your problem right there.  If you know anyone with a soldering iron that would be the proper way to separate them, though if the solder is thin you might be able to cut it with a scalpel or small knife or even a finger nail if it's really thin.

Makes me wonder what the previous owner "used" it as - it's no good as a keyboard in it's current state and being thin and light not great for much else.  Maybe they waved it at pigeons?!  More seriously I wouldn't be surprised if they complained and got a replacement PCB then sold on the known-bad original to you.  Would take a great explanation to avoid negative trade feedback if I'd bought it...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Lawman1999

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 18:22:40 »
I cannot believe this. I expected some decent and useful advice on this site, and what I got instead was a keyboard wizard perfectly diagnosing, and solving my problem in a matter of only an hour or so. Suicidal_Orange, I am so appreciative of how far above and beyond you've gone for a complete stranger on this forum. I'm gonna go at this joint with a scalpel, and if that doesn't work out I'll make sure I'm refunded for the PCB. I'm not sure if you have a Venmo or Paypal you'd share, but I'd love to buy you a beer (or coffee if you don't drink). Thank you so much for your help.