Author Topic: How are rubber dome Ms?  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Pylon

How are rubber dome Ms?
« on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 19:04:03 »
There's a guy locally in my area selling a 71G4644 for $5. I'm thinking about getting it, though it isn't a proper mechanical. But it's better than what I have now (gray HP w/ rubber domes) So how are rubber domed Ms?

Also, is it possible to convert a rubber dome M to buckling springs?

The only mechanical keyboard I've used is some third-party Apple keyboard with some sort of black Alps, and a Model F 5291.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
How are rubber dome Ms?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 19:08:31 »
Rubber dome Model M's are decent keyboards. But they can't be easily converted to buckling springs.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline didjamatic

How are rubber dome Ms?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 22:17:10 »
It's a good keyboard, but you can get a mechanical model m for not much more, even on ebay you can find them in the $10-15 range all the time
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline aegrotatio

How are rubber dome Ms?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 23:14:15 »
I love Model Ms and I love rubber dome keyboards.  I do not like the feel of the Model M rubber dome in the incarnation of the Galactex Smartrex GALII11 keyboard.  The keys feel very shallow, and I think it's because the dome collapse "tactile" bump happens way, way too high up in the keystroke.  It's also quite stiff.  Less of a problem but the keys (that you're not typing on) have a loud, sympathetic rattle while typing on it.

I would like to try a real life Unicomp Enhanced Quiet Touch model some day but nobody wants to pay $70 for a rubber dome keyboard.  Thing is nobody is 100% sure that the Unicomp Enhanced Quiet Touch is the same as the Smartrex.  The Smartrex is heavy and solid and looks pretty good in spite of some nonstandard key arrangements.  I very much prefer the Key Tronic 3600 which you can get new in random places for $10-$30.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
How are rubber dome Ms?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 00:50:48 »
There's no logical reason why the SmarTrex would be unlike any other rubber dome Model M in any significant way. That said, it is true, nobody is 100% sure if it's completely the same.

Someone give Unicomp a ring? Should take all of 5 minutes to get the answer to that. Describe the keyboard, surely someone in the building will remember, then ask if it's the same design as the other rubber dome units.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline aegrotatio

How are rubber dome Ms?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 01:14:27 »
Kishy, that's right.  I'm curious myself, but since the keycaps and the domes are such a custom build for Smartrex, I would assume the "Enhanced Quiet Touch" are the same.  After typing on a Model M, I have to say that I think the "tactile bump" of the rubber dome version is at the same point as a bucking-spring Model M, so it's a reasonably good assumption that the "Enhanced Quiet Touch" is the same as the Smartrex.

It's still a cool keyboard!!  Black and solid and has colors and a telephonic inverted numeric keypad.  Nice!!
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow