Author Topic: High-Speed internet on WFW 3.11?  (Read 3356 times)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
High-Speed internet on WFW 3.11?
« on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 19:06:27 »
Just installed Windows for Workgroups 3.11, with IE 5.01, and an ethernet card.  Is it even possible to get it on the internet via high-speed internet?  EIBM might have some info... maybe?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 19:18:50 »
I have all of those, except I don't know how to manually configure the DCHP for my router.
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 19:51:13 »
ok well then I have an issue, because the DCHP is set for auto and I have TCP/IP installed and IE 5.01, and nothing happens in IE.  Advice on another web browser?
tp thread is tp thread

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 20:02:30 »
Windows 3.1 can handle only up to IE5.01.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 20:06:02 »
I know for a fact that there is no IE 6 for WFW 3.11, and yes, the lights on the ethernet card are on and flashing.  If it helps for diagnostic purposes, I have a Netgear router and the ethernet card I am using is a SOHOWare 10/100.  I doubt that will be of any help though.  I will try another browser.  If that doesn't work I will post and update soon.
tp thread is tp thread

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 20:14:47 »
I got the driver right from SOHOWare and it had a folder labled "WFW311", and I just coppied all tose files to a floppy and then installed them in Windows.  It seemed there was nothing wrong with the driver installation, but I could be wrong.  That was yesterday, and I have enough trouble remembering what I said 10 minutes ago, so...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 20:55:19 »
I wouldn't bother with DHCP on that, it might not like your router, open up TCP/IP and set the address manually.  Other than that make sure your DNS is working and set up correctly on the machine.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 01:37:36 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;203146
Just installed Windows for Workgroups 3.11, with IE 5.01, and an ethernet card.  Is it even possible to get it on the internet via high-speed internet?  EIBM might have some info... maybe?

I've never really used windows 3.1 (I've always been a windows 98 guy), and secondly, I HATE NETWORKS. I am able to set up networks and all that, but half of the time I really have no clue what I'm doing. I just get it working through trial-and-error.

Printers & networks are a pain to get working on older computers.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 18:10:11 »
Ok, having just turned on my Windows 3.11 machine, I just discovered that it is indeed connected to the network, I was able to access it on my network from my Windows 7 computer.  However, it still won't connect to the internet.  Any ideas why?
tp thread is tp thread

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 18:12:29 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;203438
Ok, having just turned on my Windows 3.11 machine, I just discovered that it is indeed connected to the network, I was able to access it on my network from my Windows 7 computer.  However, it still won't connect to the internet.  Any ideas why?

Try some different browsers. Check your proxy. etc.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 18:16:24 »
Quote from: kishy;203442
Well, that's definitely a good sign.

Uh...hmm. What I would try (not knowing if such options even exist, tbh) would be to open IE, Tools > Internet Options (or w/e it's called), then the Connection tab and if given the option, set up the connection as a LAN connection which is always on and requires no username or password.

EIBM: not quite right. Internet access is handled by the application in pre-Win95 so it's going to be settings in the browser just to get even basic connectivity. No browser is likely to do it automaticallly.

That's weird. So what if you wanted to play Warcraft 3? It would be handled by IE???

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 18:19:24 »
I think Warcraft 3 might require Windows 95.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 18:20:25 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;203438
Well if you have a home router any equipment on the router same subnet will see each other just by ARPing, no routing required really.  To get to the Internet you're going to have to route out through the gateway so perhaps you don't have the correct default gateway?
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 July 2010, 18:24:33 by TexasFlood »

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 18:21:56 »
ok thanks for the help guys, I got it working.  I made this post from Windows 3.11!
tp thread is tp thread

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 18:25:18 »
Good job!