Author Topic: What should be best for RSI (not CTS)?  (Read 927 times)

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

What should be best for RSI (not CTS)?
« on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 11:54:17 »
As per the title, I have no significant carpal problems, but the RSI in finger joints is massive, and I've noticed myself subconsciously slacking at work and procrastinating due to how painful typing is. The pain isn't extremely intense, it's just sufficient to cause a disruptive productivity problem.

I can see five ways, as far as the keyboard alone is concerned (leaving the rest of the workplace out for now):

1. Conventional 'ergo' — Natural 4000, MS Business Ergo, MS Sculpt, MS Surface Ergo, Logitech K860 Ergo, etc. Membrane, unfortunately, unless you can afford Kinesis.
2. Typical mechanical ergo — split and that's it, no fancy sculpting or key sizes. Matias Ergo, etc.
3. Lightest switch possible with least resistance and thus presumably reduced fatigue — perhaps even linear 35g or 30. Could be counterproductive for more than one reason.
4. Island chicklet scissors — it does help a bit on my laptop, so it might work on the desktop.
5. Hybrid/capacitive — keep the mechanical crisp but soften it for subjective feel. Ornata Chroma, etc.

My current desktop keyboard is a low-profile Kailh blue tenkeyless board with standard key spacing — this baby. It's not bad, but the low profile is subjectively tiring in a way I don't experience on my laptop. Perhaps taller but lighter keys might be better. Or just something flat AF. But height is not the sole problem.

Again, bearing in mind this is just about fingers, not wrists, which of these five paths would you suggest?

And for 4000 vs Sculpt vs Business Ergo vs Surface Ergo, which one would you suggest? I've never owned any, and I don't put much faith in short hands-on test sessions where it's all about long-term fatigue/strain/injury.

Greetings from Ketonal. ;)

Offline UggNot

Re: What should be best for RSI (not CTS)?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 12:46:29 »
I think you’re missing an important option.

Ortholinear. When i switched to ortholinear my fingers felt much better and I didn’t realize they were hurting before. Now when I go back to staggered I feel pain after not too much time.

I also made the switch to a split board at the same time but I think that’s more for the wrists.