Author Topic: Methods for stopping PCB flex in mx11800/11900 etc.  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Oqsy

Methods for stopping PCB flex in mx11800/11900 etc.
« on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 15:00:18 »
I'm in the middle of doing some mods to my mx11800 and I just though about the steel plate from a Dell QuietKey that I just killed.  If the plate were cut to size to fit behind the pcb and were insulated from any contact with the contacts on the PCB (I'm thinking plasti-dip or something similar), would there be any other unintended effects?  I would love to stiffen this board up and give it a bit of weight, and the would take care of both.  Anyone with experience ridding your mx11X00 boards of PCB flex with other methods?  I remember something about gaffers tape, but I've got search tardation today.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 18:12:25 »
My memory may be worse than yours, but I the only tape that I remember something about is "foam tape". The one that is a mm thick. I think that "craft foam" from a hobby store would work better -- it is practically the same thing as foam tape, but without the sticky glue, and it comes in larger sheets.

The soldered pins are all on the underside of the PCB, and I don't think that it would be a good idea to put pressure on them. I think that some kind of spacers are needed that touch the circuit board in-between the pins. The spacers should be of a hard, insulating material. I am thinking that perhaps wood, like popsicle sticks, would work. Sheet plastic would be better, if you can get hold of some cheap. I have heard about "For Sale" signs being a cheap source of cheap sheet styrene in the US, but I have never seen it as I don't live there.
🍉

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 20:27:27 »
Ah I found the foam tape thread, finally...  for some reason I remembered ricercar's post "proof of concept" (which he's said way more than he should have on this forum, for the record!) when talking about a pcb cut on an mx11X00 as being in the same thread, and searched that phrase and his name, and boom, there it was... the AT101 Space Saver thread.  Strange place to run across info on PCB flex in cherry boards :D  I'm thinking I might use that method instead of messing with the plate.  elbowglue hasn't steered us wrong yet! :D
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."