Author Topic: Hi everyone, finally upgrading my keyboard game after ~14 years  (Read 1668 times)

Offline nick779

Hi everyone, finally upgrading my keyboard game after ~14 years
« on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 11:47:27 »
Hi GH!

Ive been plugging away for the last 14 years on my Ideazon Zboard Merc : https://www.ign.com/articles/2006/05/05/ideazon-zboard-merc-review (Win10 driver hacks and all)
and building an unsustainable muscle memory with that keypad since nobody makes anything like it worth buying anymore.

I love the keyboard, but in general it just feels like crap and the WASD gamepad keys are worn out and no longer return. Aside from that, I typically work on a Dell KB212-B which is fine, but if im spending 8-14 hours a day with a kb, I want something nice.

I decided to start with my "leisure" kb.
I was looking for something with a solid build, backlit keycaps, that was 65% or TKL.

After about a week's worth of research, I bought a 9 key switch tester with Cherry MX and the Zealios V2 67g. Based on what I felt/read, I decided on a GMMK TKL with both Gat Blacks and Halo Clears, and the Vortex 126 PBT backlit keycap set. (I read the 104 was better but couldnt find it or the Ducky PBTs in stock anywhere)

Im hoping that some time with both styles of switches will give me more insight on what I want to type with for my "work" kb and I can get a Leopold/Ducky One 2/Varmillo VA87 down the road with switches I like. I would consider building my own too as I love soldering/electronic projects; Id probably be limited to the KBDFans plastic case brass plate "custom" though based on cost.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 August 2020, 11:55:37 by nick779 »

Offline funkmon

Re: Hi everyone, finally upgrading my keyboard game after ~14 years
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 15:32:11 »
Jesus what a keyboard.

But, question. Why a small keyboard if you're used to such a big one? And why not some clicky switches? Haha

Don't worry too much about the keycaps right now, that will come afterwards after you find your switches. :D.

Keep trying and buying them and shoving them in your GMMK, and you'll find the right thing. I think the character of a switch changes a bit when you have 80 of them as opposed to just 1. I think you're doing the right path, however.

Offline nick779

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 06:53:50 »
Heh yeah, the Merc is a bit of a chonker. I decided on a TKL because I never use the keypad outside of work, even on the merc that numpad was near useless. Theres even one button that was macro'd to ALT+F4 BY DEFAULT and ive hit it more than once on occasion.

I like clickys, especially the sound of the mx greens, but the noise level wouldnt go over too well at home or in the office.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 05:59:11 »
No problem, just get rid of all your friends. You don't need them anyway, you have your keyboard. :P. Oh by the way, massdrop has some loose switches for sale right now you might want to try out, and they're a fair (lol) price!