Author Topic: Information about the M13s  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Casenard

Information about the M13s
« on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 22:50:18 »
Hey guys. I'm new here, and I was looking for some information on an M13 I acquired the other day.

I just recently became interested in mechanical keyboards after reading about them on another forum a few weeks ago. It was there that I first heard of the Model M. I was looking to get a Filco Otaku, since I don't know how to touchtype yet. I've been trying to force myself to learn for years, I thought that would be a good way to finally do it. It's embarrassing, I've been working with computers since I was 9, and I've been programming since I was 16, yet I still can't touchtype.

Anyway, I work in IT, and was in the back with all our old computer equipment. Guess what I found under a stack of old cheapo Dell keyboards? A dusty black M13. I asked the CIO about it, and he said I could have it. I cleaned it up, and apart from the dust, there's nothing else wrong with it. No scratches or scuffs or anything. It works like a charm too, they weren't lying when they said these thing were built like tanks. Typing on it feels really good, I can't wait until I can learn to touchtype on it.

I can't find much info on the M13s at all. I saw the section in the IBM wiki here, and read about them on clickykeyboards.com, that's about it. How uncommon are these? Are there blank replacement keys available for it anywhere? I'm not planning on selling it, but how much do these things usually sell for? Any information about this keyboard would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have a camera, only my Blackberry, so pardon the image quality. I couldn't get a picture of the back to come out not blurry, so here's the info from the sticker on the back.

Part No. 13H6705
Fru No. 13H6705
ID No. 0013601
Date 12/26/95

Plt. No. L1 Model M13

Offline mcdonc

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 23:04:03 »
One or two comes up every month or so on EBay and they usually end up selling for around $50 or $60.  Since yours is black, it won't be quite as easy to find replacement keys for it as it would if it was white.  You'll basically need another one to steal keys from.
Owned: bunches of Model Ms,  Model F AT, Dell AT101W, Amiga 500.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 23:19:23 »
Unicomp sells plain black keys without any legends (though they have a limited stock). Better buy some if you want spares.

The white labels on the M13s wear off fairly easy, so, don't do intensive typing unless you coat them with something (some members here were trying to figure out what's the best to preserve the labels).

Some of the black M13s can sell for hundreds depending on the condition. The one in the photo seems to be in very good condition, if none of the labels appear to be worn, then it was hardly used as those legends, as I stated, rub off very VERY easily.

A very good find for free. You could sell it and make a hefty profit (but if I were you, I wouldn't do that!)
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 05:48:51 »
The Black M13 was manufactured first by Lexmark, and then by Maxiswitch between 1994 and 1998 or 1999. They were usually sold on retail as opposed to being bundled with any IBM PC. They used to sell for about $200+ on eBay, but they are not as uncommon as they used to be, you can get a good one on eBay for ~$100.

As has been alluded to - the usual IBM keypad printing process does not work with white lettering, so they used pad printing like what is used on cheap rubber dome keyboards. The protective layer would wear off easily, and once it did, the letters themselves start to fade.

Great keyboards nonetheless. If you ever want to get rid of it, and you want a Filco Otaku, I'd be prepared to do a swap with you.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 July 2010, 10:17:18 by ch_123 »

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 22:30:23 »
Quote from: kishy;203880
I'm not sure there is or ever was any protective layer, CH. Ripster's photos combined with what my own eyes can see suggest there's nothing on top of the white stuff.

white stuff eh? And it rubs off easily... I wonder what lexmark used...

Well, I think I'd settle with plain black keys (if I had an M13 that was black -- but I don't, I just have an ancient beige model m).
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 July 2010, 22:32:49 by EverythingIBM »
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT