Author Topic: KAT vs DSS  (Read 6106 times)

Offline xwind

KAT vs DSS
« on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 12:04:05 »
Folks that had a chance to compare KAt and DSS side by side and spend some time with them, what do you prefer?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: KAT vs DSS
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 12:13:52 »
DSS feels very similar to DSA.  KAT feel close to SA but easier to type on for me. 

A large difference between the two is thickness.   KAT is thick and quite heavy.  DSS is thin and light.  This property greatly effects the sound of the board. 

So if you like thinner caps, or DSA, or the sound of either, you will like DSS.
If you like SA, thick caps, or the sound of thick caps, you’ll prefer KAT.

I believe there is a place for both.  Just depends on the case and switches. 

Offline xwind

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 13:40:19 »
I am all very new to recently opened possibilities, so I guess I just trying to figure out what else would I like, and what would be my dream profile. I guess I am coming less from the angle of the aesthetics, and more from practical side of the typing comfort.

My daily driver for the last 10 years was original PBT Cherry on Blues at home, and about 2 years vortex PBT DSA on Browns at work. Although I enjoy sharp break point on blues way more than mushy bump on browns, for the real life usage it makes very little difference. Linears however are a hard pass for me, even for gaming.

Having worked with DSA vs Cherry side by side, I have no idea how people can prefer cylindrical keycaps, over the spherical ones. Not long ago I replaced Cherry with thin OEM ABS set and spent about a month with it. I am quite ok with them being thiner and taller, but they have exactly the same problem, the upper edge of the cylindrical keycap feels like "finger falling off the cliff". Not to the point where it would be repulsive, but inferior to the sphericals.

I gave a try for about a month to the TEX ADA, with the deeper scoop. In between the DSA and ADA, despite ADA scoop is very pleasant, i'd take DSA, for the very single reason, DSA top keycap edge is scooped, whereas ADA edge is flat (I guess MT3 feels very similar to ADA in that regard). In essence DSA provides more tactile feedback to the finger, like where exactly did it hit a key.

That bring me to the conclusion that I definitely want something sculpted with DSA like dish. But at the same time I don't want to have a wider top surface, I definitely do not like it at all (this excludes, MDA, XDA and G20). That leaves me with KAT and DSS.

I got myself a numpad in DSS Dolch (just because it was in stock), just to try it out, Sculpt definitely feels nice, but the SP DSS texture puts me off, I'm not sure if it can grow on me. Thus unsure if I get the full set and give it a try, or pass.

KAT on the other hand on paper looks amazing. I even pulled the trigger on Cyberspace GB, now it is going to be a long wait.

Did I miss anything?

P.S. Sorry for the long wall of thoughts.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 16:04:30 »
I think you would be fine with either of you are used to DSA.  You will get used to the DSS texture. KAT is in the other direction being extremely silky.  Some people are off put by it.  I don’t feel like I notice any extra surface area when typing.  It definitely doesn’t feel like typing on chiclet or G20 or XDA. Long story short, you’ll be fine with either.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2020, 16:11:42 by pixelpusher »

Offline xwind

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 16:39:44 »
Thanks for input! I think I'll give DSS a try, some combination of Dolch and Tecla.

Offline LASERman Projects

• Soldering is my native language.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 09:56:23 »
Side question: Is the "icon" set exclusive to KAT?
I am surprised all highly priced GMK designs always have same boring text mods.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 August 2020, 05:09:16 by LASERman Projects »

Offline Riverman

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 14:27:51 »
Since GMK keycaps are doubleshot, they'd have to make new molds to change any of the keycap legends, and part of their claim to fame is that they use the original Cherry molds.  I'm not surprised that about the only thing you ever see changed with GMK are the colors.

Offline xwind

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 13:27:48 »
I'm not surprised that about the only thing you ever see changed with GMK are the colors.

That is why I genuinely do not get, why GMK sets are so massively popular.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 15:23:29 »
You can put any legend you want on GMK modifiers or alphas.  You just need to pay the money for GMK to
Make the molds for them, which increases the cost of the set dramatically. 

250400-0
250402-1