Author Topic: Tetris competition (win an IBM Model M keyboard)  (Read 5104 times)

Offline treigle

• http://www.neuron0.net
Tetris competition (win an IBM Model M keyboard)
« on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 09:39:25 »
I know there are technically superior Tetris implementations/clones to the one on the arcade here (I've written one), but I think it's passable and reasonably standard....

The first person to beat my high score (as it stands at time of playing) by the end of 2010 gets an IBM Model M keyboard w/ PS/2 cable and free shipping to the US or Canada, or actual shipping costs elsewhere....

I don't know of an appropriate Tetris geek forum to post this challenge, nor if it's participants would want a Model M. There are definitely better players out there than myself, so maybe you can get one of your Tetris geek friends to join geekhack..... ;)
Kinesis Advantage, Truly Ergonomic (ANSI), Filco 87

Offline Infinite north

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 11:38:53 »
This would piss webwit off if he was here....

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 13:08:21 »
I'm a huge Tetris fan (and variants like Dr. Mario), though probably not able to compete very well I love the game.  Do you have a link to a game online where your high score is posted?
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 13:16:48 »
Wow, I've never even noticed that before.  Nice.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 18:14:10 »
Tetris?

Now that I can do!

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 19:21:08 »
Quote from: didjamatic;204866

LOL, it goes to show that people really don't pay attention to menus. I'm not saying this directed at you, but just in general people tune stuff out when it's not one of the first or last items in a list. It's a huge challenge for those of us who design sites.

Just be careful so you don't end up sinking hours every day into it. There's at least one user who literally spends hours almost every day in the Arcade. He's probably regretting the day he clicked on "Arcade" to see what was there.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 20:57:47 »
My best friend WILL win this keyboard.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline chimera15

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 00:47:57 »
How'd you get that score? I can barely get 100 lines.  After level 10 it becomes impossible. lol
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 00:54:59 »
Quote from: Oqsy;205102
My best friend WILL win this keyboard.

I thought you typed "My best friend WILL be this keyboard"... as in you will work so hard to win the keyboard that it will be your bestest friend forever and you'll kiss it in the morning before you leave for work and type on it untill the last of the springs no longer compress.

Chimera, I don't know Tetris well, but I'm sure there's gotta be some bonuses you can get for certain combos. Going straight for level completion likely is not the answer.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 00:56:10 »
I'd be up for a bejeweled or a bug drop challenge. I got over 1 million points in the timed mode of bejeweled 2, got the screenshot too (took around 2 hours I think to get that).

Tetris never tickled my fancy that much.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline gr1m

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 01:04:06 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;205166
I thought you typed "My best friend WILL be this keyboard"... as in you will work so hard to win the keyboard that it will be your bestest friend forever and you'll kiss it in the morning before you leave for work and type on it untill the last of the springs no longer compress.

Chimera, I don't know Tetris well, but I'm sure there's gotta be some bonuses you can get for certain combos. Going straight for level completion likely is not the answer.

The only rule that I know is eliminating as much rows as possible with one go. Other than that, I think your only option to beat the high score is to last as long doing the same thing over and over.

I always mess it up half-way and get a bad streak of blocks anyway.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 01:12:35 »
Don't you get a special bonus for leaving no blocks on the board at the end of the level?
-

Offline treigle

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 09:43:08 »
OK guys, there are no special level bonuses and such that I know of (there could be back-to-back line clear bonuses or something, but I haven't noticed).

Here are the key points:

The speed seems to stop increasing after level 10, and you get *way* more points for clearing the same lines on level 10+. So, just start at level 10 and maintain it, and there are no nasty surprise speed increases.

The autorepeat is uselessly slow in this implementation, so be prepared to bash the hell out of your keyboard. ;)

The scoring system is *extremely* biased in favor of Tetrises (4 lines cleared at once), so holding out for Tetrises can be advantageous, but don't get too crazy because the piece distribution is absolutely atrocious (like 4 of the same piece in a row sometimes), and you can shoot yourself in the foot so to speak (think sustainable risk taking).

In Arika versions of Tetris, there is a 20g mode, in which pieces fall from the top to bottom in a single frame (1/60sec), but there is a short lock delay to scoot the piece around.  I can't get more than 100 lines in such a game, let alone Tetrises, but there are crazy dudes who get 100s of lines, play with invisible pieces, etc. They are to Tetris what some geekhackers are to keyboards.... ;)

I will post a link to my own Tetris clone when I get time to get it a bit more polished (probably end of year).

I haven't played much Bejewelled, but that would be a fun challenge too! :)

Good luck everyone!

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 18:08:00 »
triegle, my friend has been playing on my account, and he's the best tetris player i've ever seen...  he regularly gets 3,000+ lines on the version for nintendo64.  He played for about two hours last night (while I played the n64 version by myself, 250 lines was around my average before getting too tired).  He never broke the record, and he's thoroughly impressed that anyone could get that score with that version (he was most upset by the fact that there's no "instant drop" button, which really helps him get into a zone...  he's also not used to using a keyboard for controls, so there's a learning curve there too.  He spoke of the less than stellar piece selection as well, but that happens on every version if you play long enough :D  I expect him to pick up again sometime soon and try again at your record.  I suggested he start at level 10, but he didn't think there would be an increase in point value so he didn't bother.  I'll make sure he's aware of that before he tries again :)

Thanks for the challenge...  I've been planning on acquiring another model m and dying it to suit his tastes, and if he can pull off this score then he will have won the keyboard for himself, an even cooler bonus to getting a custom dyed M.

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 21:00:23 »
Quote from: kishy;204865
I'm inclined to believe it'd be the Geekhack Arcade?
Quote from: didjamatic;204866

:rofl:
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 21:06:21 »
I have been playing for myself this afternoon and evening(my friend will still be playing too, maybe have to make him his own account, he'll need it after he gets an M anyway), and I'm starting to find the happy medium between scoring points and staying low...  not as confident as last night, but I still think this record could fall soon.

Offline gr1m

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 21:09:19 »
I'm not that pathetic in the top 10, that's pretty cool.

Offline treigle

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 21:41:16 »
The piece distribution is actually pretty good in a few versions, such as Arika.... It will "try" not to give you one of the last 3 issued pieces. The thing is, although I can play a lot faster on other versions, I've never really gotten very strategic about getting Tetrises until playing this version, since it wont let me fast-drop.... It's kinda zen like in it's simplicity, though a little neurotic... :)

Offline treigle

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 16 August 2010, 09:27:10 »
First, good job to everyone on the top 10!

Ninjackn, I agree about the controls. Maybe we should move over to another Tetris implementation, though I'm not too keen on Tetris Friends.......

Any suggestions welcome (I have an idea, but it'll take a few weeks to setup)......
If we move to another version of the game, would anyone still be interested in competing on this version, or would it be safe to close competition on this ver?

Has anyone played DTET (Japanese game from the early 2000s)?

In any case, ninjackn is kicking ass here, and if we close competition on this version, he gets a keyboard for sure!

Offline pex

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 16:34:34 »
Quote from: asdf;214631
I'm glad there was a pause button.

who is this no name
1     asdf     2107260     wow that was _painfully_ slow     08-19-10 19:36     41:31
Ж®Cherry G80-8113 (someday I hope to have one that reads magstripes, rfid cards, and smartcards), broken \'98 42H1292 Model M, some other Model M from a decade before that, 30 more keyboards in a box, 4 more lying here or there
Destroying Sanctity: my Model M project. Status: Dead.

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 21:39:41 »
I used to enjoy TetriNET on occasion back in the day.  Haven't played any of the newer versions that wiki article talks about and I'd probably get creamed by the Tetris heavyweights we have coming out of the woodwork here anyway.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline treigle

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 06:37:11 »
Congratulations to asdf!

PM me your shipping info and I'll get you a keyboard. :)

Offline pex

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 10:08:03 »
Quote from: treigle;214837
Congratulations to asdf!

PM me your shipping info and I'll get you a keyboard. :)

PM'd.
Ж®Cherry G80-8113 (someday I hope to have one that reads magstripes, rfid cards, and smartcards), broken \'98 42H1292 Model M, some other Model M from a decade before that, 30 more keyboards in a box, 4 more lying here or there
Destroying Sanctity: my Model M project. Status: Dead.