Author Topic: Time to step out from the shadows and introduce myself.  (Read 11860 times)

Offline NamelessPFG

Time to step out from the shadows and introduce myself.
« on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 22:00:00 »
None of you probably know me, but I've known about this place for some time now. First discovered it when I wanted to get myself a real keyboard for once and did more research, I think. One with mechanical keyswitches. Now I've got two Model Ms (one IBM 1391401, one IBM/Lexmark 1370477) and can't go back. Not even that first-gen Logitech G15 I got for $4 at a thrift store can win me over with its extra bells and whistles (people pay $100 or even charge $500 for those?), though I still keep it for the time being because I don't have any PS/2-to-USB converters that'll work with the Model Ms yet. (Or, if there's a way to hack some mechanical keyswitches into it...)

That was a long time ago, and I was content on the keyboard side of things for now (at least until I get a chance to try one of those Kinesis or Maltron boards). But my interest really resurged when I found that the CH Products DT225 trackball was actually highly regarded around these parts.

I've had a black USB model for a few years-got it back when Frugal's World was still alive and someone was selling all his CH Products stuff. Got the DT225 and a Fighterstick, thinking that they would complement my Pro Pedals nicely, but then I found that while the programming isn't as capable, Thrustmaster gear (specifically the HOTAS Cougar and RCS pedals) suited me far better in regard to ergonomics, so I ended up selling off the Fighterstick and Pro Pedals, but kept the DT225 for some weird reason-perhaps in case I suddenly caught a hankering for arcade games that were trackball-driven. (I don't think I'll be keeping it that much longer since I'm short on cash and am just too used to conventional mice like my Logitech G5 and G500, but it does roll very nicely, the buttons have a great microswitch click, and the Control Manager makes it the most programmable trackball on the planet...)

Looking through other threads, I've noticed a general emphasis on tactility and quality in input devices that I wouldn't find in most other communities. Perhaps I could learn about other input devices that are to my rather exacting tastes here that may have flown under the radar elsewhere.

Also of interesting note is that I've also noticed some fellow CRT users here. Can't afford a good IPS or BOE Hydis panel for my desktop, so I get by with an old Dell P1110 I found at a thrift store for $6, which works great...unless it decides to start losing focus inexplicably, at which point I have to turn it off for a few minutes before turning it back on and hoping that it won't do that again. (I'll also need a colorimeter for it to get the most out of WinDAS, but I can't afford the decent ones...) I'm also rather picky about image quality that I tend to notice colors not being quite right, improper convergence, higher refresh rates, bad resolution scaling on LCDs, etc. I could probably learn more in that field here as well.

In short, I think I'll find a lot to like here.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 22:19:12 »
welcome to gh!

we hope your stay will be a comfortable one! ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 07:19:17 »
It's nice to see a Model M user and a CRT user.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 July 2010, 16:56:29 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;205126
Also of interesting note is that I've also noticed some fellow CRT users here. Can't afford a good IPS or BOE Hydis panel for my desktop, so I get by with an old Dell P1110 I found at a thrift store for $6, which works great...unless it decides to start losing focus inexplicably, at which point I have to turn it off for a few minutes before turning it back on and hoping that it won't do that again.

Sounds like some solder joint could use a refresh (or maybe a transistor has become intermittent). You may want to consult a forum more dedicated to monitor repair, they might have more of a clue where exactly to look.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 July 2010, 21:19:11 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;205126

Also of interesting note is that I've also noticed some fellow CRT users here. Can't afford a good IPS or BOE Hydis panel for my desktop, so I get by with an old Dell P1110 I found at a thrift store for $6,

So long as it's financial, and not a political choice to continue CRT usage, Ill allow it.

which works great...unless it decides to start losing focus inexplicably, at which point I have to turn it off for a few minutes before turning it back on and hoping that it won't do that again.

DOES that work? If so, it hints at a heat issue. it is possible the shadow mask warps at higher temps and throws everything out of focus. That is seriously a total shot in the dark though. Does that monitor even have SM or is is an aperture grille. Either way, that's my guess.

In short, I think I'll find a lot to like here.

Ahh, the honeymoon. Mine lasted all of 2 posts. We'll see if we can't get you trolled into non-existence in your own thread, mmm k?

Im kidding, of course. Welcome.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 02:58:06 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;205695
Sounds like some solder joint could use a refresh (or maybe a transistor has become intermittent). You may want to consult a forum more dedicated to monitor repair, they might have more of a clue where exactly to look.

I was thinking capacitors, but mostly along the same lines. I haven't bothered to check inside yet without finding a guide for this thing; don't want to find out where the high voltage bits are the hard way.

Quote from: instantkamera;205836
So long as it's financial, and not a political choice to continue CRT usage, Ill allow it.

I'm not strictly anti-LCD or anything. Not having to fiddle with geometry or convergence is nice, and then there's all that space saved.

But the lack of native resolutions, high refresh rates, image quality, viewing angles AND low prices of good CRTs are hard to beat for me at the moment. Right now, I can get high refresh rates with TN and image quality with VA and IPS, but either way, I start having to deal with native resolutions and have to spend a LOT of money in the process (especially with VA or IPS).

DOES that work? If so, it hints at a heat issue. it is possible the shadow mask warps at higher temps and throws everything out of focus. That is seriously a total shot in the dark though. Does that monitor even have SM or is is an aperture grille. Either way, that's my guess.

Shadow mask? In an FD Trinitron aperture grille monitor? I don't think so...but I should note that when the monitor turns on after having been dormant for a while, the image sometimes blooms a bit like a shadow mask CRT does, albeit not going out of focus.

Ahh, the honeymoon. Mine lasted all of 2 posts. We'll see if we can't get you trolled into non-existence in your own thread, mmm k?

Im kidding, of course. Welcome.

Kidding on the "honeymoon" bit, or on the earlier parts of your post? These Internet sarcasm meters can be quite wonky.

As for trolling, I think I've seen plenty of that here just lurking about, or so the other users say about the so-called trolls, who coincidentally just happen to have this preference for old PC hardware...

Offline gr1m

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 03:15:55 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;205877
As for trolling, I think I've seen plenty of that here just lurking about, or so the other users say about the so-called trolls, who coincidentally just happen to have this preference for old PC hardware...

Liking old hardware is one thing. Responding to a thread asking about keyboard media controls with the post "If you want media buttons, get a tape player." is trollin'. Not that it matters but you mustn't think I'm biased against old computers.  

Anyways, welcome.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 04:04:46 »
I was thinking capacitors, but mostly along the same lines. I haven't bothered to check inside yet without finding a guide for this thing; don't want to find out where the high voltage bits are the hard way.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/3483/Dell_p1110.html

I'm not strictly anti-LCD or anything. Not having to fiddle with geometry or convergence is nice, and then there's all that space saved.

But the lack of native resolutions, high refresh rates, image quality, viewing angles AND low prices of good CRTs are hard to beat for me at the moment. Right now, I can get high refresh rates with TN and image quality with VA and IPS, but either way, I start having to deal with native resolutions and have to spend a LOT of money in the process (especially with VA or IPS).

It was a joke, use whatever you want, just be realistic about what you are using.

That being said, and forgive me if im off-base, you sound like a guy who has heard other people talk about LCDs, but never actually owned one:

Native res - do people actually switch resolutions? I can see it with gaming, but most gamers buy hardware that can push their native res in-game.

High Refresh rates - You realize we aren't talking apple to apples with CRT refresh rates. There is a thread somewhere on here where that just came up:

http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=205815&postcount=426

Oh, but maybe you mean RESPONSE TIME? that is a different story, but it is somewhat over exaggerated by the internet.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&sku=320-9271

8ms g-2-g, not INSANELY awesome, but workable, and IPS, for ~200 bucks CAD. If that is out of your price range, then Im sorry to hear that. PVA panels peform slightly better WRT speed, but they are getting to be a rare find (all for the best, as I prefer IPS - but I do have a PVA panel). What colour-critical work do you do?

My biggest problem with what you are saying is it sounds like you are regurgitating facts from the internet, and havent actually TRIED any of these products out. That's the problem with the internet and it's boundless info, it keeps people from trying things with their own open mind.

I honestly mean no offense, but this syndrome is big in the digital photography  world, we call it "pixel peeping". This can have a placebo effect on some people, and it all ends badly in a life of dissatisfaction :mmph:

If you are broke though, by all means, keep rocking the $6 CRTs, that price is hard to beat.

Shadow mask? In an FD Trinitron aperture grille monitor? I don't think so

Right, that is why I said:

"""
That is seriously a total shot in the dark though. Does that monitor even have SM or is is an aperture grille. Either way, that's my guess.
"""

I looked, as your manual states, it's a sony chassis with a trini (AG not SM) so it is LESS susceptible to warping. That is the absolute extent of my CRT hardware knowledge though, I cant help you get up in them guts.

Kidding on the "honeymoon" bit, or on the earlier parts of your post? These Internet sarcasm meters can be quite wonky.

If something rubbed you the wrong way with my post, that is the part I was kidding about. If not ... just wait ;)

Stick around, find out.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 07:20:49 »

There's nothing bad about preferring CRT's. Performance-wise, a good CRT is a million times better than any LCD.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 07:36:58 »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 11:22:10 »
Quote from: gr1m;205882
Liking old hardware is one thing. Responding to a thread asking about keyboard media controls with the post "If you want media buttons, get a tape player." is trollin'. Not that it matters but you mustn't think I'm biased against old computers.  

Anyways, welcome.

Mac user!

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 13:58:45 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;205908
There's nothing bad about preferring CRT's. Performance-wise, a good CRT is a million times better than any LCD.

Not a million, nay, not even a BILLION. We are talking a Trollion times better.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 14:00:41 »
Quote from: ch_123;205917
Show Image

Ah, that's the resident Irish troll. He hates vintage equipment and discards it all as useless (in which he is hypocritical since he uses old IBM keyboards). So it really doesn't make sense; try not to think too hard over it.

Yes, CRTs are definitely a cost effective way for having a good monitor, especially since getting a decent LCD to match up with a CRT would cost thousands. And you'd still never be able to dynamically change resolutions without smudging; unless you wanted a smaller letterbox for each one.

With that said, I do use LCDs for various things; I just don't like to game on them.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 14:31:43 »
Quote from: instantkamera;205960
Not a million, nay, not even a BILLION. We are talking a Trollion times better.

infinity plus one

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 14:36:00 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;205962
Ah, that's the resident Irish troll. He hates vintage equipment and discards it all as useless (in which he is hypocritical since he uses old IBM keyboards). So it really doesn't make sense; try not to think too hard over it.

Actually, I probably have more vintage stuff than you do. I bet I even do more interesting things than it than you do. Try harder.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 15:31:34 »
No ripster and no webwit... the troll distraction mechanism is breaking down, and there's nothing left to keep them in check!
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 16:24:12 »
Quote from: ch_123;205976
Actually, I probably have more vintage stuff than you do. I bet I even do more interesting things than it than you do. Try harder.

But you're still the resident Irish troll (aka me and my co-workers' source of entertainment when we're bored at work).

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 16:44:16 »
Quote from: Oqsy;206001
No ripster and no webwit... the troll distraction mechanism is breaking down, and there's nothing left to keep them in check!

Yeah, ch_123 has to take it out against the vintage PC users.

Quote from: microsoft windows;206021
But you're still the resident Irish troll (aka me and my co-workers' source of entertainment when we're bored at work).

I don't know, he doesn't have a scrollpoint pro, an L40 trackpoint, a 1986 model M, an original 5150, a C64, or even any of the cool games I have (I guess I could be considered as a game collector since I have so many).

LCD activists were never much of gamers anyhow.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 17:10:51 »

I bet it's nothing compared with the entertainment me and my co-workers get out of your mother.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 17:30:32 »

You have clearly no idea what a troll is if you think I am a troll.

And children, vintage != ancient ****. Please do not abuse the term to describe useless Gateways or IBM PC300s that no one cares about.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 July 2010, 17:44:17 by ch_123 »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 17:50:30 »
Nah. I should've called you the resident hoity toity snobby jerk. But hey, if you weren't the jerk you are, me and my coworkers would have nobody to laugh at but Ripster. And Ripster's gone in Japan.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 17:53:04 »
Calm down there tiger. Bet it's nothing compared with the sort of fun me and my co-workers get out of your mother.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 17:54:58 »
Oh no. He's a Facebook stalker too!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 17:59:24 »
I also play weddings and barmitzvahs.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 18:01:09 »
Quote from: ch_123;206038
You have clearly no idea what a troll is if you think I am a troll.

And children, vintage != ancient ****. Please do not abuse the term to describe useless Gateways or IBM PC300s that no one cares about.

I've already stated many times, there's a handful guys that use PC300s for servers or linux machines; including in my local area & at vintage PC forums. Just because *you* think they're horrible doesn't mean they are (you're so enveloped in a bias towards most IBM products that it doesn't even matter). Except your black M13 which happens to have the worst labels ever made for a keyboard. You could have at least got a beige version.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 18:06:11 »
Or an M5-2.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 18:08:52 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;206050
(you're so enveloped in a bias towards most IBM products that it doesn't even matter).

Lolwtf?

I think you need to lay off on the weed.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 18:14:48 »
So do you.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 19:00:44 »
Wow, that was like having a discussion with two retarded four year olds. Back to the ignore list with ye!

Incidentally, you two did an excellent job of proving my original point...
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 July 2010, 20:27:46 by ch_123 »

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 24 July 2010, 22:18:02 »
Quote from: instantkamera;205892
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/3483/Dell_p1110.html

This may come in handy. Thanks.

Quote from: instantkamera;205892
It was a joke, use whatever you want, just be realistic about what you are using.

That being said, and forgive me if im off-base, you sound like a guy who has heard other people talk about LCDs, but never actually owned one:

Native res - do people actually switch resolutions? I can see it with gaming, but most gamers buy hardware that can push their native res in-game.

High Refresh rates - You realize we aren't talking apple to apples with CRT refresh rates. There is a thread somewhere on here where that just came up:

http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=205815&postcount=426

Oh, but maybe you mean RESPONSE TIME? that is a different story, but it is somewhat over exaggerated by the internet.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&sku=320-9271

8ms g-2-g, not INSANELY awesome, but workable, and IPS, for ~200 bucks CAD. If that is out of your price range, then Im sorry to hear that. PVA panels peform slightly better WRT speed, but they are getting to be a rare find (all for the best, as I prefer IPS - but I do have a PVA panel). What colour-critical work do you do?

My biggest problem with what you are saying is it sounds like you are regurgitating facts from the internet, and havent actually TRIED any of these products out. That's the problem with the internet and it's boundless info, it keeps people from trying things with their own open mind.

I honestly mean no offense, but this syndrome is big in the digital photography  world, we call it "pixel peeping". This can have a placebo effect on some people, and it all ends badly in a life of dissatisfaction :mmph:

If you are broke though, by all means, keep rocking the $6 CRTs, that price is hard to beat.

You misunderstand me, for the most part.

Native resolution isn't that big of an issue for me, assuming that the monitor doesn't fail hard at scaling properly (like this one crappy, cheap LCD I've been gifted) and the graphics card drivers do their job properly. However, that's two big "if"s. Also, as for buying hardware that runs games well at native resolution, that'll probably be even more expensive than a good monitor-especially since I'm insistent on a minimum, consistent 60 FPS. (Maybe 50 or 40 FPS.) Turning down the resolution does wonders for framerates most of the time.

No, I don't mean response time (I don't seem to perceive that nearly as much), but refresh rate. I know LCDs don't fade between refreshes like CRT phosphors do, but higher refresh rates still result in noticeably smoother motion, even over 60 FPS. That's what I would like to have-

I don't do anything color-critical...yet. But I would like to see things as their designers intended, and also not end up seeing stark differences in color if I print something. If I were to do it, it would be more of a "because I can" thing.

There's nothing really wrong with LCDs or anything, but the ones I do have in this house are all cheap, crappy TN panels that don't even have DVI or HDMI ports, and I currently don't have the money to buy a decent LCD with.

*reads other posts*

...Typical.

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 01:58:41 »
Hullow! and Welcome.

If you enjoy it half as much as I have, you'll be well served for the decision to participate.  I find its horribly addicting though because of the amazing mental paths that one can travel from a seemingly ordinary thread about geekstuff to the unexpected and then back to geekstuff with incredible ease.   I like it here so much its the first place (and only actually)  that I ever uploaded an avatar.  And its kind of odd how often the picture seems appropriate to the feel of what I post.  And I even like the way the default colors bring out best tones of orange in it too.  Fits.

Ripster's not gone for good, right?  Just a brief scheduled abscence?  

And dammit, I do miss Webwit.    Alas, I barely knew him...
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 09:17:00 »
Hey. At least EverythingIBM, Computer-Lab in Basement, and I are still at it.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 10:11:58 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;206113
This may come in handy. Thanks.

NP.

You misunderstand me, for the most part.

probably.

Native resolution isn't that big of an issue for me, assuming that the monitor doesn't fail hard at scaling properly (like this one crappy, cheap LCD I've been gifted) and the graphics card drivers do their job properly. However, that's two big "if"s. Also, as for buying hardware that runs games well at native resolution, that'll probably be even more expensive than a good monitor-especially since I'm insistent on a minimum, consistent 60 FPS. (Maybe 50 or 40 FPS.) Turning down the resolution does wonders for framerates most of the time.

No, I don't mean response time (I don't seem to perceive that nearly as much), but refresh rate. I know LCDs don't fade between refreshes like CRT phosphors do, but higher refresh rates still result in noticeably smoother motion, even over 60 FPS. That's what I would like to have-

I cant argue with this. I don't game, or give two ****s about gaming, but I would have to agree that, as in most things, the gold standard for judging an LCD's gaming capability is by comparing it to a CRT; s'gotta say something. Stick with your $6 CRTs for now.

I don't do anything color-critical...yet. But I would like to see things as their designers intended, and also not end up seeing stark differences in color if I print something. If I were to do it, it would be more of a "because I can" thing.

Thankfully most CRTs can be reasonably well calibrated, until they really start to drift. That was the final straw for me, my (really old and very used) Electron Blue III was behaving very badly when it came to calibration, even though in general you couldn't see any problems. Leaving it on all the time helps as I found power cycles would cause drifting (even after a "Settling period"), but that was not exactly great power bill wise. Again though, for gaming, TN panels are often preferred, and despite the hype other wise, most "better" TNs can be decently calibrated (it's really the angles that kill TN for, say, post-processing images, because of gamma shifts etc).
Still, if what you have works, then that's cool.

There's nothing really wrong with LCDs or anything, but the ones I do have in this house are all cheap, crappy TN panels that don't even have DVI or HDMI ports, and I currently don't have the money to buy a decent LCD with.

no DVI = holy ****ing old and ****ty.

*reads other posts*

...Typical.

What did I tell you? Stick around anyway, we need SOME people with enough sense to have a reasonably discussion.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 11:05:30 »
Another good thing about CRT's is viewing angle. I know I've seen some LCD's where the image looks off when looked at from the wrong angle.

But you see, people often throw away extremely good monitors because they're big, bulky CRT's. If you've got the space for one, you can get yourself one of the best computer monitors for virtually nothing.

Offline gr1m

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 12:28:12 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;206211
Another good thing about CRT's is viewing angle. I know I've seen some LCD's where the image looks off when looked at from the wrong angle.

It's not really news, TN panels don't have good viewing angles. However, most people look at their monitors directly so it isn't a problem.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 13:33:37 »
Quote from: ch_123;206073
Wow, that was like having a discussion with two retarded four year olds. Back to the ignore list with ye!
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 14:17:27 »
You're missing out on the good stuff.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 14:35:58 »
Quote from: gr1m;206238
It's not really news, TN panels don't have good viewing angles. However, most people look at their monitors directly so it isn't a problem.

Actually I sometimes look at LCDs tilted back; this causes lots of "darkness". Side viewing angles are okay on all my LCDs.

Quote from: instantkamera;206203
NP.

I cant argue with this. I don't game, or give two ****s about gaming, but I would have to agree that, as in most things, the gold standard for judging an LCD's gaming capability is by comparing it to a CRT; s'gotta say something. Stick with your $6 CRTs for now.

no DVI = holy ****ing old and ****ty.

As far as I am aware, most standard computers don't come with integrated DVI ports to the mobo. At our school, all the new HP computers (& smartboards) are still running on VGA.

Anyone who can easily use LCDs is definitely not a gamer. The problem being the graphics get so smudgy and horrible. But it also depends whether or not that bothers the individual: most people could probably suck it up & ignore it, or don't even notice.

But I mostly care for the older games. The new games are extremely uninspired.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 18:45:40 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;206298
Actually I sometimes look at LCDs tilted back; this causes lots of "darkness". Side viewing angles are okay on all my LCDs.

Then they are TN panels, and I really don't want to argue about your side viewing angles, but they are "fine" to your eyes. In real life there is likely some gamma shifting/washing out.

As far as I am aware, most standard computers don't come with integrated DVI ports to the mobo. At our school, all the new HP computers (& smartboards) are still running on VGA.

Yeah, well that's because they suck. I can't find a CURRENT mobo that doesn't have DVI or HDMI out.
Plus, what's your ****in' point? Who gives a **** what the lowest common denominator is for connectivity when you can make a display that accepts several different inputs at once?

Answer: Not the display makers, hence decent new LCD monitors ship with at least TWO, possibly more interface options. LCDs that are "holy ****ing old and ****ty" don't, necessarily. The OP's LCD falls into the latter category, Obv.

Anyone who can easily use LCDs is definitely not a gamer. The problem being the graphics get so smudgy and horrible. But it also depends whether or not that bothers the individual: most people could probably suck it up & ignore it, or don't even notice.

Honestly a tonne of people game fine with TN panels. I defer to them, because I:

- Don't game
- Don't care

So CRT or LCD, take your pick.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 20:40:37 »
I prefer CRT's but that doesn't mean that you all have to. CRT's and LCD's both have different advantages. So like Instantkamera said, just take your pick.

Offline gr1m

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 20:49:10 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;206298

Define what you mean by "gamer" then. If you mean somebody who plays games, you're wrong. If you mean somebody who plays many games, you're wrong. If you mean somebody who plays games competitively, you're wrong. If you mean somebody who plays to win, you're wrong again. If by gamer you mean a person that hasn't played a new game since 1995, then you could be correct.

But you're still wrong.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 20:52:57 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;206400
I prefer CRT's but that doesn't mean that you all have to. CRT's and LCD's both have different advantages. So like Instantkamera said, just take your pick.

Which is why I pick both.

LCDs for high-res non-gaming. CRTs for all my games.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 20:56:21 »
Honestly a tonne of people game fine with TN panels. I defer to them

Quote from: gr1m;206404
Define what you mean by "gamer" then. If you mean somebody who plays games, you're wrong. If you mean somebody who plays many games, you're wrong. If you mean somebody who plays games competitively, you're wrong. If you mean somebody who plays to win, you're wrong again. If by gamer you mean a person that hasn't played a new game since 1995, then you could be correct.

But you're still wrong.

See? I deferred, then an actual gamer chimed in, and it is clear (and has been abundantly so since I joined GH) you are wrong (again).

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 21:01:02 »
Quote from: gr1m;206404

But you're still wrong.

I just prefer running games on CRTs, it looks a lot sharper & I can change to lower resolutions without any stupid blurring. You also don't pay attention to fine detail as I do, so things like resolution artifacts really bother me.

I've said many times, I beta tested starcraft 2. That certainly isn't 1995. Although the system requirements are surprisingly lower than I first suspected.
That stupid new settlers game by Ubisoft demanded more (although it's really nothing like the original DOS game -- and the DOS version wasn't all that great).

Quote from: instantkamera;206406
See? I deferred, then an actual gamer chimed in, and it is clear (and has been abundantly so since I joined GH) you are wrong (again).

Actual gamer? Ha! I've played more games than anyone else on Geekhack combined.

Offline gr1m

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 21:09:37 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;206409
You also don't pay attention to fine detail as I do, so things like resolution artifacts really bother me.

You're full of ****, please shut up.

I've said many times, I beta tested starcraft 2. That certainly isn't 1995. Although the system requirements are surprisingly lower than I first suspected.
That stupid new settlers game by Ubisoft demanded more (although it's really nothing like the original DOS game -- and the DOS version wasn't all that great).

OK, so let me get this straight: you troll on and on about old games, old software and old hardware and when somebody calls you out, you claim that you use new games, new software and new hardware.

You're lying about one of them.

Actual gamer? Ha! I've played more games than anyone else on Geekhack combined.

And that makes anyone else on Geekhack less of a gamer how?

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 21:20:40 »
Quote from: gr1m;206412
You're full of ****, please shut up.

OK, so let me get this straight: you troll on and on about old games, old software and old hardware and when somebody calls you out, you claim that you use new games, new software and new hardware.

You're lying about one of them.

And that makes anyone else on Geekhack less of a gamer how?

I use both new & old software/hardware. New hardware for my audio equipment and games like Starcraft 2 and majesty 2. Old hardware for all the older games (stupid DOSBox runs just too slow for the more CPU hungry DOS games and can't emulate all of my games or hardware properly). And I actually got all of my older computers quite recently from people who didn't want them. Refer to my computer album for a minor sampling of my machines.
And I don't *troll* about them, there's a lot of people who would consider the classics still superior to the flimsy titles released today.

Your last statement I guess I can coerce to a minor degree: let me revise that. If anyone says I'm not a gamer on [geekhack] clearly never read anything I said, and if they did, they'd know if being a gamer themselves.

Offline gr1m

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 22:25:21 »
I like how you ignore the part where I call you out for your complete bull**** statement about "resolution artifacts"; go back to your cave.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 26 July 2010, 06:54:44 »
Speaking of EIBM ***gotry -

Quote from: EverythingIBM;206028
I don't know, he doesn't have a scrollpoint pro, an L40 trackpoint, a 1986 model M, an original 5150, a C64, or even any of the cool games I have (I guess I could be considered as a game collector since I have so many).

I have at least half of those things in that list. One of them is even in my signature.

Except your black M13 which happens to have the worst labels ever made for a keyboard.

You and your labels sonny... Want me to put a lavender IBM sticker on it?

(you're so enveloped in a bias towards most IBM products that it doesn't even matter).

What does this even mean?
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 July 2010, 06:59:38 by ch_123 »

Offline phillip

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 29 July 2010, 15:01:10 »
hello

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 29 July 2010, 19:27:35 »
Quote from: phillip;207571
hello

Well.  That was certainly anticlimactic...

lol!
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav