Author Topic: Hello from Los Angeles!  (Read 878 times)

Offline LBP321

Hello from Los Angeles!
« on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 16:17:33 »
Hi!

My name is Alex and I am currently student teaching to become a choir director. The university and school district I'm at are currently 100% virtual until further notice, so I'm spending a lot more time in front of my computer lately. I've been upgrading/cleaning up my setup little by little, and I decided to pull the trigger about a week ago and got myself my first mechanical keyboard.

I ended up getting a Varmilo VA87M CMPYO from mechanicalkeyboards.com. I got it because I loved the aesthetic of the keycaps, but I never tried any specific switches out before and the only switch available for the board were MX Speed Silver switches. I liked the feel of them and I felt like I could type well with them. However, a few days ago, I noticed that there was an apparent springing sound on the recoil for multiple switches. I looked up a fix for this issue and saw that lubing them a solution, but that would require me to completely desolder the switches and resolder them after lubing. Considering I've never even held a soldering iron before in my life, I figured the learning curve and amount of tedious work to put into a prebuilt board wasn't worth it. I'm currently in the process of returning it and now I'm playing with the idea of building a hot-swappable 75% board and actually getting a switch tester this time...

I'm excited to be here and learn more about the community! <3

-Alex