Author Topic: [Help] QMK/VIA LeftOS key mapping not working  (Read 3262 times)

Offline sebulba

[Help] QMK/VIA LeftOS key mapping not working
« on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 10:23:41 »
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong board to be posting in (I'm new here)

I've currently just finished soldering my DZ60 build and the LeftOS key isn't registering at all. The exact point is that trying to "program" (with QMK) the key won't work. Electrically everything is OK because replacing the key with ALT-L causes that there is no "new" LeftOS response on the replaced key, and ALT-L works properly
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 October 2020, 04:23:12 by sebulba »

Offline stevethecollier

Re: [Help] DZ60 LeftOS key not working
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 11:35:46 »
I know this is not what you asked, but I just build my dz60 board and just used VIA pretty seamlessly.  might be worth a shot

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 11:57:52 »
I don't fully understand what the problem is - this is never an easy thing to talk about let alone in a second language!

Did you swap the physical switch with L-Alt and L-Alt still worked?  If so it could be a dead diode or a damaged pad, you can test by shorting the pin not connected to the diode to the diode bypassing the switch.  If that made no sense let me know and I'll fire up paint.

If you changed the keycode in the firmware and the computer sees L-Alt but it didn't see L-OS that is just strange...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline sebulba

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 13:18:55 »
No, I did not swap physically, but only map in QMK. The first time the first key to the left of the spacebar is ALT, the second is LeftOS. ALT is working, LeftOS is not working. I'm replacing the mapping in QMK, this time the first key to the left of the space is LeftOS, the second is ALT. ALT works LeftOS is not working.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 14:26:08 »
You might want to change the thread title (edit the first post) to say "QMK LeftOS key not working" as this problem is very strange and could happen on any board.

Does Aqua Key Test notice when press LeftOS?  If it doesn't light up the key it might just show a keycode in hex at the bottom.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline sebulba

Re: [Help] QMK/VIA LeftOS key mapping not working
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 04:27:34 »
I checked the possibility of mapping other keys to LeftOS or RightOS - neither works. Tried using VIA instead of QMK - lack of success :(

Offline yui

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 04:44:35 »
i had a similar issue with the tab key but the problem ended up being a missing diode so if your problem is that the physical key does nothing, if the problem is that the OS key does not work wherever it is mapped to it may be that one of your gaming program has a winkey lock and that it is  engaged (if you have a "gaming" pc some "utilities" that comes with it may include that, it disable the OS key so that you do not go back to windows while gaming it can be clever enough to detect that you are in a game, or not)?
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline sebulba

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 08:30:48 »
strange situation, I did the mapping on another computer and everything works.

Offline nevin

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 13:08:41 »
i know what key you're talking about. although, i haven't heard of LeftOS as a key code.
in QMK it's:
KC_LGUI      for left GUI/OS (Windows/Command/Meta key)
KC_RGUI      for right GUI/OS (Windows/Command/Meta key)
https://beta.docs.qmk.fm/using-qmk/simple-keycodes/keycodes_basic#modifiers
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 October 2020, 13:55:23 by nevin »
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68