Author Topic: [IC] Leather Keyboard Sleeve by Daest Leather Goods  (Read 4500 times)

Offline daestleathergoods

[IC] Leather Keyboard Sleeve by Daest Leather Goods
« on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 07:41:12 »
Hello mechanical keyboard enthusiasts!

This is an interest check for a leather sleeve that I made for my own keyboard, that I would like to bring to the community.

Imgur album of the prototype
Imgur album of the cable prototype
Interest Check form
Reddit post

253879-0
First look at the sleeve with a KBD67 keyboard partially out, with the magnetic fixture visible

I am both an amateur leatherworker and mechanical keyboard hobbyist, and as I was bringing my keyboard to and from work, I wanted to make a leather sleeve to keep the keeb safe in transit. I made this in January, and having used it for the past few months, I now feel assured with the quality of this sleeve. It turned out better than I expected, so now I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in having one of their own!

Features:
The sleeve pictured was made with quality vegetable-tanned leather, specifically medium brown English Bridle from Wickett and Craig, one of two tanneries located in the US. From their website: "English Bridle is a traditional leather with a variety of uses, from classic equestrian gear to high-end leather goods. Drum dyed and hot stuffed, English Bridle is smooth, flexible yet durable. Beautifully crafted with a flawless, even surface." The sleeve features saddle-stitching by hand throughout the sleeve, in Ritza Tiger 0.6mm waxed polyester thread. The edges are burnished with saddle soap and beeswax, and the leather is conditioned, both of which will increase the sleeve's longevity. The flap features a magnetic clasp.

Changelog:
October 19th: Initial Post
October 26th:
- Added matching cable pouch option
- Added inner lining options
November 2nd:
- Finalized GB start: Nov 6th, 12pm CST
- Finalized size: 10 brown, 10 black, 5 custom
November 6th:
- Added GB details

GB Details
GB Form:

The group buy will be limited to ten brown, ten black, and five custom sleeves. Orders will be fulfilled in the order of signup, and invoices will be delivered to the next person as each sleeve is made. When it is your turn, I will deliver the invoice, and after payment, I will start on the sleeve.

The order queue will be displayed in a public spreadsheet with a username and the order details.

Customization Options:
- The prototype is medium brown, and that will be the default colorway available. If there is enough interest (please fill out the IC form!) then a black colorway will also be available.
- Additionally, the sleeve will be made-to-order and made-to-measure according to the dimensions of your keyboard, whether you own a Planck 40% or a Rama 60% or a TKL, the sleeve's size will be totally customized.
- There will be different thread colors available for a pop of color: brown, white, blue, or yellow (you can see the colors available at my Etsy shop link down below)
- Matching cable pouch available
- Inner lining options: plaid fabric, natural and dark green canvas duck cloth, and black felt

255212-1
Thread Colors: White, Maize, Duke Blue, Black, Brown

Proposed changes:
The prototype has functioned well, and the final product would be very similar except for the use of a thicker leather - the leather in the prototype is a good thickness for a wallet, but a little thin for a sleeve. The current thickness used is 3oz, while the final product would have a doubled thickness of 6oz. The difference in appearance between the final product and the prototype will be minimal, except the sleeve will retain it's shape better instead of forming indentations as seen in the first and second photos below.

Estimated cost:
The sleeve and shipping is estimated to be around ~$120 total for US, and ~$130 for international.

Final thoughts:
To see photos of other products I've made, please take a look at my posts in the leatherworking subreddit or view my etsy shop.

More photos of the prototype:

253871-2
Front of the sleeve prototype with keyboard inside

253873-3
Back of the sleeve prototype with keyboard inside

253877-4
Size of the sleeve compared to my keyboard, KBD67v2

253879-5
Keyboard inside sleeve

253883-6
Size of the sleeve opening inside a 22L backpack

253885-7
Size of the sleeve inside a 22L backpack

Cable pouch:
254595-8

254597-9

254599-10
Cable is a two foot cable with ~8in of coil

Lining Options: (black felt not pictured)
254601-11
Natural canvas duck cloth

254603-12
Dark green canvas duck cloth

254606-13
Natural canvas duck cloth, angled view of texture

254608-14
Plaid fabric
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 November 2020, 12:27:42 by daestleathergoods »

Re: [IC] Leather Keyboard Sleeve by Daest Leather Goods
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 07:42:17 »
Reserved

Offline Coby

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 08:51:14 »
 very nice, interested  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 October 2020, 08:55:26 by coby »

Offline samanth

• Thocc
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 10:01:15 »
This is really great, But a bit more on the expensive side. I was wondering what the surface was on the inside(rough / smooth)?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Offline Rebral

• .::.::.::.::.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 15:11:51 »
Looking nice! GLWIC :)

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 15:13:52 »
This is really great, But a bit more on the expensive side. I was wondering what the surface was on the inside(rough / smooth)?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The inside will be smooth, but not as smooth as the surface of the leather. The costs come from the material and from the labor - the leather is very high quality, and the sleeve will be stitched by hand!

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 15:33:39 »
any chance you could do a version with a snap or stud closure?

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 15:39:34 »

Show Image

As for right now, a magnetic clasp will be the only option. It's also my opinion that magnets make it quick and easy to close the flap while a snap/stud closure requires pressure. Is there any particular reason you'd prefer the snap/stud closure?

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 15:42:35 »

Show Image

As for right now, a magnetic clasp will be the only option. It's also my opinion that magnets make it quick and easy to close the flap while a snap/stud closure requires pressure. Is there any particular reason you'd prefer the snap/stud closure?

I elaborated on the IC form but it'd look more rustic and there would be some added security in case the sleeve was turned over

and as a watch wearer, it'd be one less magnetic thing I would have to pay attention to

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 15:53:02 »

Show Image

I elaborated on the IC form but it'd look more rustic and there would be some added security in case the sleeve was turned over

and as a watch wearer, it'd be one less magnetic thing I would have to pay attention to

Valid concerns! As a owner of a mechanical watch myself, that is something to keep in mind. I appreciate the feedback, and I'll consider the snap for a potential version two.

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 12:11:28 »
Updates:

Group buy will open tomorrow at 12pm!
Added photo of thread colors.
Lining options added.

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 15:23:21 »
Love to see leather goods crossing over to the keyboard community, I've dreamed of seeing a nice leather-surfaced deskmat.  Good luck with the group buy.

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 12:28:07 »
Update:

Added GB form and details!