Author Topic: What helps you keep building?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline fuzewall

What helps you keep building?
« on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 12:54:33 »
So I like to make things, and the pursuit of making something superior to mass production, and the keyboard scene has grabbed my attention for the past year or so. Problem is I don't know how to make keyboards with a reason outside of "wanting to". Seems like everyone that wants custom keyboards is interested in building it themselves, whereas making knives, and mead, and kombucha I can sell them to make back what I spent producing them. So, I am curious, how do you all justify the cost of building keyboards? Do you resell, make videos of and post on youtube? Or is it most common to make keyboards and keep them?

Thanks

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: What helps you keep building?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 13:32:38 »
So, I am curious, how do you all justify the cost of building keyboards? Do you resell, make videos of and post on youtube? Or is it most common to make keyboards and keep them?

Its a hobby we don't need reasons to justify buying keyboards and building them. Its all for fun or collecting :). People usually make custom keyboards so they fit the user more like custom switches with custom springs and lube to your liking what a OEM board can't offer.

I use a keyboard everyday so i don't mind spending a premium to have a great typing experience every day.

current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 13:40:25 »
For me it's another avenue for me to channel my energy of building, working, and fixing things.  I get a sense of satisfaction and calming from soldering and repairing things, which is why I used to work as a automotive tech for 15 yrs before changing to the IT field.  Also I have a habit of getting into the more challenging and fun versions of a hobby - much like my obsession of watercooling and case modding PC's along with modding and performance modding vehicles.  As I see it I have a habit of falling in the rabbit hole do to the want of more knowledge as a whole.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 15:24:34 »
For me it is because I like keyboards

But
Now I'm just lubing switches to make money
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline fuzewall

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 08:41:59 »
"For me it's another avenue for me to channel my energy of building, working, and fixing things."...
"Also I have a habit of getting into the more challenging and fun versions of a hobby"...."As I see it I have a habit of falling in the rabbit hole do to the want of more knowledge as a whole."

i feel like the way you worded it hit the nail on the head for me too.

Offline fuzewall

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 08:59:05 »
Its a hobby we don't need reasons to justify buying keyboards and building them. Its all for fun or collecting :). People usually make custom keyboards so they fit the user more like custom switches with custom springs and lube to your liking what a OEM board can't offer.

I use a keyboard everyday so i don't mind spending a premium to have a great typing experience every day.

I don't mean justify in a purely a financial way. For fun and collection is just as good a reason as any to justify it to yourself.
I use a keyboard everyday too and that is basically what got me into being interested in a better and better keyboard until I got into customs, as well. Problem for me is that when I get into a hobby, I get REALLY into a hobby, and can end up spending a small fortune on it. Which financially is a bit of a problem for me, unless I can figure out a way to play with making keyboards as well as offload them and make that money back to keep at it.

Offline fuzewall

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 09:04:46 »
For me it is because I like keyboards

But
Now I'm just lubing switches to make money

Haha, very nice.

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 09:07:00 »
For me it's another avenue for me to channel my energy of building, working, and fixing things.  I get a sense of satisfaction and calming from soldering and repairing things, which is why I used to work as a automotive tech for 15 yrs before changing to the IT field.  Also I have a habit of getting into the more challenging and fun versions of a hobby - much like my obsession of watercooling and case modding PC's along with modding and performance modding vehicles.  As I see it I have a habit of falling in the rabbit hole do to the want of more knowledge as a whole.
Same here, i like to build and i like it even more if it is to give to others, but just building is nice, and the deeper i can drown myself the better, and overall keyboards are pretty easy to build and have a ton of use later so it is a win-win and they are much cheaper than computers, so modding and failing is less punishing.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline SackOHammers

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 11:52:11 »
Something new to figure out and try.  It's a hobby.  Something to exercise that need to get my hands on something and exercise my brain.
But like every hobby I encounter and burn through.  I'll build a few and get them just how I like for my needs... and I'll move onto another hobby.
However, with Christmas coming up, you could consider building them as gifts for people.  People spend an aweful lot of time on their keyboards.  It's worth it to have a little energy put into them.   With all the options available and how complicated it can be, you might struggle to figure out what to build for someone else.  Without asking them a lot of questions or having them try out a switch tester.  Just go with the tried and true.  Maybe error on the quiet side.   And build for friends and family.   After that, perhaps you'll get bored of the hobby and move onto the next thing.