Author Topic: whats your favorite book in the bible? and why?  (Read 4568 times)

Offline wellington1869

whats your favorite book in the bible? and why?
« on: Tue, 27 July 2010, 23:05:07 »
1) Please note that i am a dyed-in-the-wool agnostic.  I can ask such a question with genuine interest anyway, to learn about the varieties of ways in which people read and draw stuff from the bible; those who've still read it, that is.

2) atheists and agnostics, if you think there's nothing for you in the bible, please read Ecclesiastes.

3) a book might be your favorite for negative reasons too; for instance, you think a particular book very clearly shows everything you dislike about religion - thats a valid reason for the purposes of this thread to mention a favorite book in the bible.

3.5) of course, your positive reasons are welcome here too.

4) I also wanted to see if, for all the discussion about religion around here, and how every thread winds up if it goes long enough to be about religion and judeo-christian tradition in particular, so i wondered just how many people around here actually read the damn thing.  I suspect very very few. :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 July 2010, 23:08:35 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 00:58:33 »
I thought the bible was one book... at least it looks like one big book. ;)

Yeah yeah... I know... I'm just being stupid... :)
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 01:05:57 »
Quote from: zmurf;206991
I thought the bible was one book... at least it looks like one big book. ;)

Yeah yeah... I know... I'm just being stupid... :)

lol, we're all being stupid; this thread is stupid ;-D

ever read any of the book? (or ever be forced to by parents? ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 01:07:43 »
I think... the book of James. Either that or one of Paul's books (Galatians, Epheisans, Romans etc). Paul's books are basically an extraction of James.
Reason being: great slapstick humour and bluntness. I especially like the part where Paul calls out on the [ephesians?] and says "your pagan priests castrate themselves, you haven't gone far enough" -- in other words, if you're going to try and earn something (salvation) you can try going as far as you can & beyond, but it doesn't mean anything.

If anyone is going to jab me with a pitchfork and demand a citation, I can't really remember where that was as it has been a long time since I studied it in Greek.

EDIT: oh and wellington, you're just asking for some trolls to come to this suckling honey methinks.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline gr1m

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 01:26:44 »
I know bits and pieces from when I used to put them in essays to brown-nose the prof and get an A. The one I found most significant was (can't remember names) the one where one of the apostles (John? James? Abdullah Abu-Qarzam Bin Sayeed Al Rahman?) doubts that Jesus was tortured and so he sticks his fingers in the wounds and Jesus tells him that he should have blind faith instead of looking for proof. Blind faith is what defines religion for me.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 01:35:40 »
I don't know haven't much gotten on it, those pesky family trees always get me, for that reason maybe the last one... ;D
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Jack

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 02:18:36 »
I actually did come in to post that I'm agnostic now but while I identified as Christian and was struggling with lack of support for my beliefs, I enjoyed Ecclesiastes.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 02:36:38 »
Quote from: wellington1869;206974
1) Please note that i am a dyed-in-the-wool agnostic.  I can ask such a question with genuine interest anyway, to learn about the varieties of ways in which people read and draw stuff from the bible; those who've still read it, that is.

The Book of Revelation of course.  No other book has as much relevance to the Prince of Darkness  :)
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 04:53:32 »
Leviticus. Shows how much of a pisstake the whole thing is.

2) atheists and agnostics, if you think there's nothing for you in the bible,

Nonsense. Know what you believe well, know what you don't believe even better.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 04:55:22 »
Quote from: ch_123;207039
Leviticus. Shows how much of a pisstake the whole thing is.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 10:18:47 »
While I am generally loath to treat Christianity with disrespect, a question like this tempts me to name "The Song of Solomon" - with the humorous jibe that this is because it provides useful advice on how to determine if a woman has implants.

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 10:36:46 »
Deuteronomy

Especially 21 & 22

"22.11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together."
Current collection: HHKB Pro 2 black on black, HHKB Pro 2 white/grey blank, [strike]Dell AT101W[/strike] (sold to SirClickAlot), 1992 Model M, Key Tronic Ergoforce KT 2001, BTC 5100 C. Dead boards: MS Natural Elite, MS Natural 4000.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 11:28:39 »
Quote from: Superfluous Parentheses;207086
Deuteronomy

Especially 21 & 22

"22.11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together."

:-D

Offline noctua

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 14:00:07 »
Kohelet (Ecclesiastes) - Inspired Revelation

Chapter 8, Verse 17

And I saw all the deed of God, for a person will not be able to fathom the deed that is done under the sun,
because though a man toils to seek, he will not fathom [it], and even if the wise man claims to know [it],
he will be unable to fathom [it].
Selfmade Keyboard I (done)
DT225 CH Trackball

Selfmade Keyboard II (95% completed)
L-Trac CST2545W-RC Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 19:01:19 »
I think whatever profundity that passage may have had has been destroyed by centuries of the Church burning people at the stake for questioning God...

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 19:04:48 »
Quote from: ch_123;207198
I think whatever profundity that passage may have had has been destroyed by centuries of the Church burning people at the stake for questioning God...

DON'T ASK QUESTIONS KNAVE:

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 21:08:06 »
I like from Exodus->Deuteronomy.  Old religious laws crack me up, as do lists of genealogy.  Begat is a *****in' word.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."