Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 1499 times)

Offline nico.psd

Hello everyone!
« on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 12:28:26 »
Hello, I am a 22 year old keyboard enthusiast from the UK.

I have been a lurker on r/mk for two years, and built my first keeb recently (attached) and have decided to really throw myself into the hobby. I have always wanted a hobby that fulfils 3 things: A) my enjoyment of building/making/creating something, B) my need for items to have a purpose or value, something that can be used, and C) something that can be displayed and appreciated as a collection or a limited edition item. And this is the hobby for me. Plus, this is the first hobby I have EVER had that I don't feel guilty spending money on, and don't feel the need to capitalise on.

I am still testing switches, but I like tactile switches mostly. I speak a little Korean and love 한글 keycaps. I type at 60WPM but would like to break 100WPM one day. Hope everyone has a lovely day! :)

Offline peachie

• keycap enthusiast, dreams of designing
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 18:03:04 »
if your irl name is Nico like in your username, then hello twin, my name's Niko-- welcome!

Mechanical keyboards are definitely a great hobby if you need to justify spending more money than you'd usually be comfortable spending, because as long as you take good care of your purchases and keep track of all the components, there's resale value (potentially even higher than the original price you paid, if an item is popular or rare enough!)
...at least, that's how I've always justified my expensive hobbies, going back to when I wore $300 brand name Japanese lolita style dresses as a teenager lmao.

But this hobby is better and feels more fulfilling-- doesn't it feel just that much cooler  that your neat collection of limited edition items is customized down to the circuit board, programming, personally-selected parts, assembling, etc?? In that sense, my collection also feel like trophies to me in a way hahah

I'm a tactile switch fanatic too! In case you're curious about recommendations, my top picks (not counting the usual recommendation of Zealios) would be:
Gazzew Boba U4 Silent Tactile Switches [62g + 67g options; I LOVE the 62g, actually typing on them rn!)
Everglide Oreo Switches (55g; I prefer light switch actuation)
TKC x c3 Kiwis (67g; these are sooo smooth stock, I don't even wanna lube them!
Durock Lilac Tactile Switches (65g)

Foxlab Key65       TMO50          MOJO60

Offline nico.psd

Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 14:58:29 »
if your irl name is Nico like in your username, then hello twin, my name's Niko-- welcome!

Mechanical keyboards are definitely a great hobby if you need to justify spending more money than you'd usually be comfortable spending, because as long as you take good care of your purchases and keep track of all the components, there's resale value (potentially even higher than the original price you paid, if an item is popular or rare enough!)
...at least, that's how I've always justified my expensive hobbies, going back to when I wore $300 brand name Japanese lolita style dresses as a teenager lmao.

But this hobby is better and feels more fulfilling-- doesn't it feel just that much cooler  that your neat collection of limited edition items is customized down to the circuit board, programming, personally-selected parts, assembling, etc?? In that sense, my collection also feel like trophies to me in a way hahah

I'm a tactile switch fanatic too! In case you're curious about recommendations, my top picks (not counting the usual recommendation of Zealios) would be:
Gazzew Boba U4 Silent Tactile Switches [62g + 67g options; I LOVE the 62g, actually typing on them rn!)
Everglide Oreo Switches (55g; I prefer light switch actuation)
TKC x c3 Kiwis (67g; these are sooo smooth stock, I don't even wanna lube them!
Durock Lilac Tactile Switches (65g)

Hello name twin! It's so nice to see someone else appreciate the same side of this hobby as me! Sorry it took so long to reply, I thought I sent a reply but ended up closing the comment on the preview. One day, I'd like to make my own keycap sets and artisans to possibly resell, so that's how I'm justifying my expenses!

I've heard good things about all of these switches, really hope Kiwi's are available soon. I've bought some Shogoki tactiles, and I'm going to purchase some Lil Tyke linears soon!  :D