Author Topic: [IC]FC60 PCB, a PCB with Flex Cuts and Split Spacebar Support  (Read 4852 times)

Offline Beenoman

[IC]FC60 PCB, a PCB with Flex Cuts and Split Spacebar Support
« on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 16:20:08 »
Hey Everyone!

Now I know that there are some pretty cool stories behind some IC's, but this one is pretty simple. I wanted a flex cut PCB for my Hive60, but none of them had support for split spacebar. And so came into creation the FC60, the only 60% PCB that I know of that has flex cuts and a lot of layout support.

You can view the all of the layouts supported here:

https://i.imgur.com/jEidXmj.png

Based off of jmdaly's CO60 PCB, it's compatible with QMK/VIA, the works.

If you wouldn't mind filling out the interest check form, that'd be great!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/138wPMfhfwXMv3Lt94YoypfOIkQsFf9sR7SX8mUhAuVc/edit#responses

Offline vaf1en

Re: [IC]FC60 PCB, a PCB with Flex Cuts and Split Spacebar Support
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 17:05:16 »
Always interested in a 60% board with some sweet underglow. :)

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 10:58:23 »
Interested.
I was working on a similar thing myself but if this happens without me having to do any more work then I am about it.

Also, don't offer hotswap. Trust me, just don't. There's plenty of people that can handle that sort of thing après le mot, it would be better to find and direct people towards those resources rather than have that included in the groupbuy. It will not only increase costs for everyone involved but will slow the whole thing down.
Personally I wouldn't like the idea of my group buy dollars subsidizing someone else's poor life choices.

I'm assuming the PCB is going to be FR4, but what thickness? Also, what solder mask/finish are you considering for it?
If you really are going to offer barebones PCB kits, what's that QC process going to look like? Are PCB's going to be tested from the factory?
Who handles packaging and are you also sourcing materials from the same manufacturer that is assembling the pcb?

Offline aadk5

• AKA: feeebleminded
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 12:13:54 »
Also, don't offer hotswap. Trust me, just don't. There's plenty of people that can handle that sort of thing après le mot, it would be better to find and direct people towards those resources rather than have that included in the groupbuy. It will not only increase costs for everyone involved but will slow the whole thing down.
Personally I wouldn't like the idea of my group buy dollars subsidizing someone else's poor life choices.

Filled out the IC form but would like to echo this; no need to offer hotswap. There are enough 60% PCB's for hotswap users if they preferred. Another thing I wanted to add is the possibility of limiting the bottom row choices. Right now, I feel like the bottom row is going to be swiss cheese. I really like that you're allowing split space, but don't really want all the other options. I feel like you should decide between a 7u bottom row with split space or a 6.25u bottom row with split space offered as well, instead of wanting to cover both options. Maybe run a poll and go with what wins?

Offline Beenoman

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 12:36:35 »
Interested.
I was working on a similar thing myself but if this happens without me having to do any more work then I am about it.

I'm assuming the PCB is going to be FR4, but what thickness? Also, what solder mask/finish are you considering for it?
If you really are going to offer barebones PCB kits, what's that QC process going to look like? Are PCB's going to be tested from the factory?
Who handles packaging and are you also sourcing materials from the same manufacturer that is assembling the pcb?

Yeah, hotswap is going to be an alternative option, and will be run completely seperately from the soldered version, so no need to worry about delays caused by that. The pcb will be 1.6mm thick, and currently we are looking at an all black finish or white with copper traces. There wasn't enough interest in a barebones kit, so we have decided against running that. I'm the one handling packaging, and we are going to be sourcing the materials for packaging from 3rd parties.

Offline Beenoman

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 12:42:34 »

Filled out the IC form but would like to echo this; no need to offer hotswap. There are enough 60% PCB's for hotswap users if they preferred. Another thing I wanted to add is the possibility of limiting the bottom row choices. Right now, I feel like the bottom row is going to be swiss cheese. I really like that you're allowing split space, but don't really want all the other options. I feel like you should decide between a 7u bottom row with split space or a 6.25u bottom row with split space offered as well, instead of wanting to cover both options. Maybe run a poll and go with what wins?

The hotswap will be run completely seperately from the soldered version, so there won't be any delays caused by that. I'm planning on keeping both 7u and 6.25u split bottom row for the moment, but I'm not planning on including the 5 1u keys to the right of the 6.25u space, so it's a little less cramped now.

Offline Beenoman

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 12:46:48 »
We now have a designer! Gondolindrim will be designing the board. We also have updated prices, with the price for a standard USB-C kit costing sitting around $50. Due to a lack of interest, we will not be doing any barebones kits, so your choice are the soldered or hotswap. We're still on the fence about hotswap, and so It won't be run with the main PCB, but as an alternate commission for those interested.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 20:49:29 »
Interested.

LOl what an incredibly stupid thing to think.
What "poor life choices"? I want hot swap, becasue with newer/different/better switches coming out pretty much monthly at this point, i don't want to have to desolder and re-solder all the god damn time, it's a chore i don't like.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 14:14:54 »
Ignoring your history of being a hotswap apologist, and assuming you want an actual answer:
This IC is for a FLEXY pcb. One that would be best taken advantage of by being combined with something like a metal half plate or PC plate in a top mount board to achieve maximum flex.
If you are using a top mount board, then the only thing supporting the pcb is the legs of the switches, which might not be enough to keep the pcb from separating away from the plate and switches as you type. Even with a full metal plate this will still occur if the plate is think enough to actually flex. If you're lucky enough to have a board where you manage to not pop the pcb away from the plate, you'll still eventually wear out the hot swap sockets from all the switch movement as flex occurs.

If you just want a pcb for your Tofu or whatever then there's really no point in getting something with flex cuts.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 21:33:08 »
Ignoring your history of being a hotswap apologist, and assuming you want an actual answer:
This IC is for a FLEXY pcb. One that would be best taken advantage of by being combined with something like a metal half plate or PC plate in a top mount board to achieve maximum flex.
If you are using a top mount board, then the only thing supporting the pcb is the legs of the switches, which might not be enough to keep the pcb from separating away from the plate and switches as you type. Even with a full metal plate this will still occur if the plate is think enough to actually flex. If you're lucky enough to have a board where you manage to not pop the pcb away from the plate, you'll still eventually wear out the hot swap sockets from all the switch movement as flex occurs.

If you just want a pcb for your Tofu or whatever then there's really no point in getting something with flex cuts.

"Apologist" low blow bra, low blow.
I'm not sure you addressed my objection.... are you saying the "poor life choices" are someone wanting a flex-cut with hot-swaps, (becasue they would pop out like you explained)? ...Okay.. but that  seems like an awkward way to phrase that.... It just seemed to me like your were saying the only people that want hot-swap are people that can't solder (and presumably not being able to solder was the "bad life choice") which is obviously stupid, and not true. My bad. 

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 00:41:01 »
I'm not taking a dig at you by calling you an apologist. Its not offensive, it literally just means you argue on behalf of hotswap.

But in more simple terms, yeah flex cuts + hot swap = bad time.
Putting a flexy pcb in a build that isn't meant to be flexy (or allow for flex) is a poor decision because it means you are going waste a flexy pcb on a build that would have been better suited to a normal pcb, or you're going to build something that will potentially break or have problems.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 13:31:50 »
I'm not taking a dig at you by calling you an apologist. Its not offensive, it literally just means you argue on behalf of hotswap.
I know, that was just my lame attempt at making a joke. (becasue i associate "apologist" with dishonest religious apologist, who are just the worst)
But in more simple terms, yeah flex cuts + hot swap = bad time.
Putting a flexy pcb in a build that isn't meant to be flexy (or allow for flex) is a poor decision because it means you are going waste a flexy pcb on a build that would have been better suited to a normal pcb, or you're going to build something that will potentially break or have problems.
Okay, I get it, thanks.