Author Topic: Cherry MX Red on Two Different Keyboard Makes === Different Actuation Force  (Read 1672 times)

Offline LoveYouFyi_

I have been using Varmilo keyboards with Cherry MX Reds for a while now - I have three of them.  Today I plugged in a new KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Reds but...
1) the actuation force is much greater on the KBParadise compared to the Varmilo boards, and
2) the actuation force does not seem uniform throughout the KBParadise board - and yes, apparently they are all MX Reds as I removed the keycaps from all of them. 
Does it make sense that the same switch would perform differently based on the other hardware of the keyboard?
Especially confusing is the different actuation force...

Offline DoctorNunu

• Masterworks
Re: Cherry MX Red on Two Different Keyboard Makes === Different Actuation Force
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 10:54:18 »
I have been using Varmilo keyboards with Cherry MX Reds for a while now - I have three of them.  Today I plugged in a new KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Reds but...
1) the actuation force is much greater on the KBParadise compared to the Varmilo boards, and
2) the actuation force does not seem uniform throughout the KBParadise board - and yes, apparently they are all MX Reds as I removed the keycaps from all of them. 
Does it make sense that the same switch would perform differently based on the other hardware of the keyboard?
Especially confusing is the different actuation force...

This sounds super weird,  have you measured the actuation force or are you just simply going by feel?
And just to clarify, are you referring to the travel distance to actuation or the force required to actuate?

Either way I would say there's an issue with the switches, longer travel distance could mean that they used a super high temperature while soldering, and therefore bending the leafs a bit.
Otherwise it could be a manufacturing issue where they issued the wrong springs.

Offline yui

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 06:17:22 »
not all MX compatible reds have the same weighting i think, at least it is true of browns, so i would guess reds too, depending on the brands they may be slightly different, like if one board have Cherry and an other Kailh (fast google search 45mN vs 60mN) so switch brand is as important as its color to know what it will do.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 20:37:42 »
not all MX compatible reds have the same weighting i think, at least it is true of browns, so i would guess reds too, depending on the brands they may be slightly different, like if one board have Cherry and an other Kailh (fast google search 45mN vs 60mN) so switch brand is as important as its color to know what it will do.

I am pretty sure Varmilo only uses Cherry MX switches unless he has a real old one when they still used Gateron before the disaster. I think it depends on what batch of cherry mx red switches they used you have good and bad ones. So the smoother MX red batch will feel lighter then the a bad batch from my experience.

I have a keyboard with Gateron Clears 58.5G and one with JWK 58.5G. The JWK feels noticeably a bit lighter because its smoother i think? That is what i think the smoothness of the switch also affects the heaviness of the switch because less resistance is a lighter key press it seems.

So i think the Varmilo has smoother better batch Cherry MX red switches then the KBParadise and giving off the feeling that its lighter or i am wrong and they do indeed have different weighted springs just a speculation  ;)
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020