Author Topic: Why are Cherry MX Clear's not more popular?  (Read 28903 times)

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
Why are Cherry MX Clear's not more popular?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 09:48:25 »
Thank goodness, Deck will just sell it as PS2 for lazier or incompetent people.
Is that floppy for a headset with mic?  I should look into that.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 10:16:01 »
Quote from: itlnstln;211813
USB only supports 6-KRO.  It's a limitation of the USB HID Driver.

Do you (or does anyone else) know if 6-KRO is enough for wasd in fps games? I.e. side strafing, crouch-strafing...

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 10:49:22 »
Quote from: ripster;211846
Well, let me think about that.

I mouse with my right hand.  I have 5 fingers on my left.  I keep my Penis in my pants.  That leaves.....

Yea but I wasn't sure if the rollover worked for all the keys; for example in crouch-strafing you might hold down w+d+ctrl or w+d+space. Also, for the love of geekhack I hope you keep your penis in  your pants whilst gaming :D

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 15:55:33 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;211812
Does the nkro only work with the PS2? If you use a PS2-USB adapter will it still work? Thanks in advance!
It's native PS/2 and I don't have an adapter. I'd guess 6key max and I see others have said the same, so probably 6key.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 03:39:37 »
Are Cherry clear switches even in production? I have a Tipro board with clears (although they are branded as 'Tipro' switches and not Cherry, but I'm not really sure why is that) and wear of the switches is pretty obvious here.

The switches of the keys, that are barely used by the common typist (scroll lock, num lock, etc.) have a relly nice springy, although stiff feeling, the mos used ones show quite a different feeling. Some seem to be completly linear and some don't even return in the elevated position after the press, which renders this keyboard rather useless.

So I was thinking that Cherry maybe stopped producing these switches as they noticed that they are prone to wear by extensive usage and replaced them with the more durable blue switches.

Offline Rusty Rat

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 04:29:05 »
Quote from: ripster;211846

I mouse with my right hand.  I have 5 fingers on my left.  I keep my Penis in my pants.  That leaves.....

No wonder your post count is so high, most of us only have 4 fingers on our left hands.

Offline pex

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 09:49:32 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;211842
Do you (or does anyone else) know if 6-KRO is enough for wasd in fps games? I.e. side strafing, crouch-strafing...

As a professional gamer (CSS) I can tell you that 6 keys should not be enough for anyone.  Some of us realpros have learned to press two button at once with our fingers, which is why Ripster is stuck with WoW.
Ж®Cherry G80-8113 (someday I hope to have one that reads magstripes, rfid cards, and smartcards), broken \'98 42H1292 Model M, some other Model M from a decade before that, 30 more keyboards in a box, 4 more lying here or there
Destroying Sanctity: my Model M project. Status: Dead.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 09:58:19 »
Quote from: 1839cc;211956
It's native PS/2 and I don't have an adapter. I'd guess 6key max and I see others have said the same, so probably 6key.

You're limited to 6KRO, when using USB.  If you're using PS2 with an NKRO board with a PS2 cable, then you're good.

Note - I didn't read back further up in the thread to see if the issue is that you don't have PS2  or something.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 21:16:51 »
Quote from: In Stereo!;212126
Are Cherry clear switches even in production? I have a Tipro board with clears (although they are branded as 'Tipro' switches and not Cherry, but I'm not really sure why is that) and wear of the switches is pretty obvious here.

The switches of the keys, that are barely used by the common typist (scroll lock, num lock, etc.) have a relly nice springy, although stiff feeling, the mos used ones show quite a different feeling. Some seem to be completly linear and some don't even return in the elevated position after the press, which renders this keyboard rather useless.

So I was thinking that Cherry maybe stopped producing these switches as they noticed that they are prone to wear by extensive usage and replaced them with the more durable blue switches.
I'm interested in this wear phenomenon. There were one or two keys that would stick on my used 8113 when I first got it, but I was able to fix this by opening the offending switches and bending the leaf spring that seperates the contacts. It was an easy fix.

I beileve the reported linearity the same problem inverted. Bent the other way, as it were.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 14 August 2011, 09:45:35 »
Quote from: Soarer;210494
No really, MY switches are truly horrible. Their only saving grace is that their keycaps fit the MX switches, and that makes doubleshots easier to find. :)

There's a hack for MY switches that was supposed to be good but I never heard long term results.  Remove the springs
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline N8N

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 14 August 2011, 10:28:31 »
Quote from: didjamatic;398697
There's a hack for MY switches that was supposed to be good but I never heard long term results.  Remove the springs

Huh.  I didn't think that would work, but I just grabbed the remains of a MY board off the trash pile (was literally just cleaning up the basement and getting rid of stuff that would never be used again) and tried that on a switch.  It actually feels a lot like what I would expect a red to feel like, but I don't have any reds to verify.  Actuation force feels much lighter than browns (happen to have a browns board hooked up to the computer right now.)  Unfortunately this board is for parts only and the cable is... somewhere else (it's actually one that I used to make my gluing jig for keycap mods, so there's a whole mess of stems missing as well) so I can't ripometer it or determine where the actuation point is.

I'm tempted now to take a different MY board and try this, but I have limited free time, I already stole the keycaps from the most likely candidate for a Filco, and don't really have any interest in ultra-light linear switches.  However the idea seems valid, if you like such things, the only thing that I would suspect that you would need to do would be to lube the hell out of the sliders because with such low spring force, I imagine that friction would be a significant factor in how well the switches would work.  That said, the sliders are much larger than those on the MX switches, so they ought to be less wobbly and have less propensity to jam (although to be fair, I have not had problems with MX switches jamming)

HOWEVER if someone is willing to pay me to do it, I'd consider removing the springs from that G81 board, installing some shiny doubleshots, and shipping it to you for your perusal.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 04:00:32 »
Quote from: didjamatic;398697

You noticed you resurrected this thread exactly after one year...
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 04:26:14 »
The LK201 keyboard of the DEC VT200/300 terminals have a switch that's sort of like an MY with no spring.

To this day, it is the single worst switch I've encountered.

Offline N8N

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 09:15:13 »
Quote from: ch_123;399160
The LK201 keyboard of the DEC VT200/300 terminals have a switch that's sort of like an MY with no spring.

To this day, it is the single worst switch I've encountered.

That's not possible.  Nothing could really be worse than an unmodified MY, unless someone has invented a keyboard that works by using spring-loaded knife switches that both shock you and cut your fingertips when you press each one.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 11:00:34 »
The old DEC keyboards had a mechanism very similar to the MY, except no spring over it. The short travel and mushy feel meant that the only way to tell if you'd pressed something was if characters appeared on the screen.

Which is what you're probably meant to do anyway, but they are just terrible to type on.

Offline VPX

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 15:02:31 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;209064
Options for new boards include the aforementioned Deck, plus you can still obtain light grey G80-3000s in German, Swiss and US-Euro layouts with them.

I've got a new black G80-3000LQCDE-2 with clear switches, do you mean they are not produced any more, because you said "new"? This one has a production date of X22, meaning week 22 of 2011. Made in Czech Republic. :smile:
Hack Amethyst 3000 key cap set coming when it\'s done (2012)

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 15:13:14 »
I couldn't GIVE clear cherries away last year... dead serious I sold a 7 day no reserve board for like $3, now everyone's hot and bothered about them.  

Next year people will be throbbing for Blue Montereys and bagging on MX Reds.  2013 will be the year of the ALPS, then in 2014 we'll all return to capacitive buckling springs.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline VPX

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 15:24:00 »
Quote from: ripster;399412
Welcome to Geekhack!  Wish ProVantage USA stocked that one and we had a better US Sales Manager.
(Attachment Link) 24415[/ATTACH]

Thank you very much. :biggrin1:

Quote from: didjamatic;399417
I couldn't GIVE clear cherries away last year... dead serious I sold a 7 day no reserve board for like $3, now everyone's hot and bothered about them.  

Next year people will be throbbing for Blue Montereys and bagging on MX Reds.  2013 will be the year of the ALPS, then in 2014 we'll all return to capacitive buckling springs.

The black one with US layout is on German Amazon, but out of stock at the moment, maybe I could buy 10 of them and sell them to you guys here for around 125 $ (without any win for me, 98 $ the keyboard + 27 $ shipping).
But the Dollar seems to be very weak at the moment, so it would be expensive for you.:pray:
Hack Amethyst 3000 key cap set coming when it\'s done (2012)

Offline N8N

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 15:53:38 »
Quote from: didjamatic;399417

Wish I'd known that! :)  I'm typing on clears right now and they're still my favorite switch.  I like blues, but don't think that I could get away with using them at work.

Although, to be fair, I've never tried capacitive BS.  Based on what I've heard/read, I think I might like those.

Offline N8N

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 15:54:28 »
Quote from: VPX;399410
I've got a new black G80-3000LQCDE-2 with clear switches, do you mean they are not produced any more, because you said "new"? This one has a production date of X22, meaning week 22 of 2011. Made in Czech Republic. :smile:

We just can't seem to buy any here in the USA :(

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 21:29:14 »
Quote from: N8N;399456
We just can't seem to buy any here in the USA :(

For a strange compensation rule, in the US you can easily buy a cherry G80 with the Italian layout and dobuleshots, while in Italy the G80 IT keyboards are completely unavailable, even the lasered ones.

Even more interesting the seller who have them ship in US only. :madgrin:
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)