Author Topic: Why are Cherry MX Clear's not more popular?  (Read 28904 times)

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Why are Cherry MX Clear's not more popular?
« on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 15:27:39 »
They're Cherry, they're 55g (like Topre) and they're tactile and nonclicky (like Topre). Also, the Filco Zero tenkeyless is available from The Keyboard Co for about $100 USD including shipping.

So I'm curious, what is it about these switches that people don't like?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 15:31:02 »
They're supposedly like Black Alps.

Also, they're hard to find. And the similarity between Cherry switches and Topres is grossly overexaggerated.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 16:22:45 »
I have not tried the Clears, but I imagine that it would feel like a heavier Brown switch. I have messed around with the black spring / brown stem combo (which is supposed to give a rough idea of the feel), and was pleased with the result. IMHO It has a very strong sense of the "kitachi", :D with less of the friction associated with black ALPS.

Once in a while, a G80-8xxx series with clears will show up on ebay for very little $$. I've never been fortunate enough to get one, but plenty of other GH'ers have.

Oh, I would pay good money for a G80-3000 w/clears from Europe. I hear they are more common there.
keyboards!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 16:23:58 »
Apparently the Clears have more friction.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 16:25:56 »
I guess the most likely answer to OP's question is that "American and Asian consumers prefer browns because they have dainty little girl fingers"
or something like that.
keyboards!

Offline pfink

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 16:30:07 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;208439
They're Cherry, they're 55g (like Topre) and they're tactile and nonclicky (like Topre). Also, the Filco Zero tenkeyless is available from The Keyboard Co for about $100 USD including shipping.

So I'm curious, what is it about these switches that people don't like?

FYI, the Filco Zero doesn't use Cherry MX Whites/Clears, it uses White XM "fake Alps".
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 August 2010, 16:32:27 by pfink »

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 16:31:11 »
Quote from: ch_123;208446
Apparently the Clears have more friction.

more friction than black alps?
I'd have to try them both new and side by side, but my collection is lacking in esoteric cherrys
keyboards!

Offline Viett

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 16:32:33 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;208439
Also, the Filco Zero tenkeyless is available from The Keyboard Co for about $100 USD including shipping.

Filco Zeros do not have Clear Cherry switches, they have some variation of White Alps, which are completely different.

Quote from: ch_123;208440
They're supposedly like Black Alps.

I would disagree. Black Alps bottom out easily after actuated, whereas you can stop pressing a White Cherry switch after the keystroke registers.

Quote from: spolia optima;208445
Once in a while, a G80-8xxx series with clears will show up on ebay for very little $$. I've never been fortunate enough to get one, but plenty of other GH'ers have.

I grabbed one of these for cheap. I love the board, but I don't like the switches. To stiff.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 August 2010, 16:37:04 by Viett »
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline ecru

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 16:44:24 »
I prefer clears over browns by a good margin.  Browns are too light for me.

Offline pfink

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 16:46:09 »
Quote from: ripster;208455
The bigger problem is getting them in the US on a non-POS keyboard.

The only one I can think of is the Deck Legend Tactile.

Offline keyboardlover

Re: Why are Cherry MX Clear's not more popular?
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 16:49:17 »
Thanks for the replies and my mistake on the filco zero :P

Agreeing with Viett here, they feel more like a stiffer (not Cherry Black stiff mind you) Cherry Brown.

Would actually be a good alternative for someone who finds Cherry Blues too noisy and Cherry Browns too light.  

The bigger problem is getting them in the US on a non-POS keyboard.

That's exactly why I think I would like them. I guess ill be searching eBay for a good deal :P

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Offline paardvark

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 16:50:30 »
My local library has a REALLY old computer tucked away in the back, which I wanted to check out. I asked the librarians if it was ok, and after a minute of them staring at me like i was crazy, they agreed to let me have a look. Under closer inspection, I saw that the "keyboard" was just some kind of non standard layout numpad with some sort of mechanical keyswitch inside. After prying off one of the keys, I found to my surprise that underneath its ugly white exterior, the numpad held cherry clears!

I was really excited at first, since I wasn't sure if any real keyboard actually used them. So I typed for a bit and to my dismay, the typing experience was kind of bad. I had attacked them with the same mentality i had when i had my compaq with cherry browns, but found that the tactility was very lacking. While I've never actually tried a keyboard with mx blacks (besides the ones that they have at the best buy counters) , I can imagine that this is what they feel like, since the tactility in the clears was almost nonexistent. I can assume that the reason that they are not more popular is that they not only provide a mediocre typing experience, but they also are not fit for POS environments.

Offline keyboardlover

Re: Why are Cherry MX Clear's not more popular?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 16:58:38 »
Could someone list the cherry model numbers that have MX clears? Would be most helpful!
 Thanks

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 17:15:56 »
Asking permission, haha.

I used to just pry off keycaps surreptitiously, but now I just do it openly. People around me generally know better than to question such things now =P

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 17:17:57 »
Or instead of listing the model numbers, we could list our top 5 bob dylan records.

1. blood on the tracks
2. street legal
3. the times they are a changing
4. blonde on blonde
5. john wesley harding
keyboards!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 17:22:06 »
I could explain Cherry's part number system, but I'd have to snap your neck afterwards...

I think someone once ordered a keyboard that should have had brown switches, but they got clears instead...

Offline Infinite north

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 18:01:04 »
Quote from: paardvark;208461
the tactility in the clears was almost nonexistent.

I am guessing this keyboard has had 15 years of steady daily use. the bump on clear switches is big, you can't miss it. it would wear down over time though. one of the pitfalls of used ebay clears.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 18:42:14 »
I have a new board with clears in. Trying to describe them briefly makes them sound worse than they are... The bump on clears is big but loooong - like a linear switch that has some extra friction over the first half of the travel. It doesn't really have a well defined tactile point like the browns (which are smooth then bump then smooth as you press), the feedback is the change from the super long bump (which starts at the top of the travel) to the smooth second half of the travel. It's reasonably effective though.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 19:05:36 »
Quote from: ch_123;208469
I could explain Cherry's part number system, but I'd have to snap your neck afterwards...

I think someone once ordered a keyboard that should have had brown switches, but they got clears instead...

Lol I gotcha - I'm looking @ the Cherry switch wiki now...

Soarer - is your keyboard a Deck Legend?

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 19:25:32 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;208498
Lol I gotcha - I'm looking @ the Cherry switch wiki now...

Soarer - is your keyboard a Deck Legend?

Nope, it's a Cherry... G80-3000LQCDE-2 (German layout).

[My 3000 with blues, for comparison, is LSCGB (UK layout)].

Offline d4rkst4r

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 21:02:52 »
I like the clears. It's the Deck keyboard that has a few drawbacks. Price, non standard key caps, hideous font.

I end up using the browns more for typing and gaming. The browns are a great all around key switch for typing and gaming. Cherry blacks are more commonly thought of as good for gaming but not  typing. And the blues provide the gimmick of a click sound. The clears have limited availability and limited appeal.
Italian Red FKB104M/EB ˇ Deck Legend Ice (tactile) ˇ AEKII

Offline stickemup

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 21:22:47 »
Quote from: spolia optima;208447
I guess the most likely answer to OP's question is that "American and Asian consumers prefer browns because they have dainty little girl fingers"
or something like that.

This ^^^

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 22:59:01 »
"I'm gonna ask you one more god*amn time...what does a cherry clear feel like?"
"it's tactile!"
"..and?"
"it's heavy!"
"does it feel... a little frictiony?"
"WHAT?"
keyboards!

Offline Infinite north

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 23:02:55 »
Did you seriously go to Japan and eat at macdonalds? whenever I am out of country I have to avoid US brands as much as possible.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 23:06:26 »
Quote from: Infinite north;208582
Did you seriously go to Japan and eat at macdonalds? whenever I am out of country I have to avoid US brands as much as possible.

I would have gone to a Japanese McDOnalds just for the 7-patty windows 7 burger
keyboards!

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 23:16:10 »
Quote from: spolia optima;208577
"it's tactile!"
"..and?"
"it's heavy!"
"WHAT?"

Best post on this forum in months.  

OT, I have DIY clears, or "tactile blacks" as I have been calling them from brown stems and black springs.  Great combination.  I would be VERY interested in white/clears if the tactile bump is as much more pronounced as above posts make it sound.  I like tactile and stiff...  it allows one to hover in style of "蝶蝶" over tactile point without ever using the full excursion of the switch.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline Infinite north

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 August 2010, 02:00:17 »
If that came out snide I didn't mean it to be, just saying you could go to mos burger instead. there is also the barstool ramen joins that litter the place.

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 August 2010, 03:45:07 »
I have compared the clears against the browns, and I prefer the force in the clears. It has, as many others have already pointed out, a less distinct tactile point. But the brown is far to light for my taste. I believe they are less popular because of the less distinct tactile point, and not for the force.
Still, the tactile point of the clears is not bad. I just bought my Cherry 80-3000LQC with clear switches. And I have never bottom out on it even once since I can clearly feel the tactile and stop pushing the key just when the switch is activated.
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline J888www

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 03 August 2010, 04:18:03 »
TYVM for the links Wedding. Now we can all type on White Cherry switches while wearing matching long gowns.

DOS attacks are out of fashion, it's now Wedding dress spammers FTW.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 August 2010, 04:21:30 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 03 August 2010, 06:55:05 »
Well I didn't expect my post to get so much humor but I'm glad it did :D
Nice...

Quote from: ripster;208596
I added all this to the Cherry MX wiki.  Look at the big hump on the stem and the stiff spring.  A brown stem with a black spring is not exactly a match.

Thanks, hopefully this will help others when they are researching switches :P

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 03 August 2010, 07:13:07 »
Quote from: spolia optima;208577
"it's tactile!"
"..and?"
"it's heavy!"
"WHAT?"

"'What' ain't no keyswitch I ever heard of! Do you get tactility with 'what'? Does 'what' bottom out as it's depressed? Is the sound of 'what' a click, clack, thack or thonk?"

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 03 August 2010, 07:24:01 »
Quote from: zmurf;208626
I have compared the clears against the browns, and I prefer the force in the clears. It has, as many others have already pointed out, a less distinct tactile point. But the brown is far to light for my taste. I believe they are less popular because of the less distinct tactile point, and not for the force.
Still, the tactile point of the clears is not bad. I just bought my Cherry 80-3000LQC with clear switches. And I have never bottom out on it even once since I can clearly feel the tactile and stop pushing the key just when the switch is activated.

Less tactile than brown switches? Surely such a thing could not be possible?

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 03 August 2010, 08:00:28 »
Quote from: ch_123;208652
Less tactile than brown switches? Surely such a thing could not be possible?
Na... not less tactile. I would say that the tactility is greater on the clear switches. But the distinction of the tactility is not as good. On the brown you begin pressing and all of the sudden there's a little bump. On the clear switches it's more like the bump begins when you start pressing the button, after that there is a little "extra bump" (where the tactility actually happens) and then it slowly disappears. The clears "extra bump" is bigger then the tactile bump in the browns and in that sense more tactile... but since the force goes so much uphill and then downhill again it isn't as distinct.

Still, you will feel exactly when you "go over the hill".
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 August 2010, 08:03:32 by zmurf »
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 04 August 2010, 10:57:53 »
As said before, clears are a medium-force switch with a tactile bump that's not terribly sharply defined (as to be expected from the force curve) and is reminiscent of, say, scissor-switch boards or somesuch. Not a bad compromise between noise and tactility.

They aren't more popular because, well, they're not terribly common to begin with. I was lucky to be able to obtain two regular G80s with them (and that was "flying blind", as neither mentioned the exact type), over the pond you'll see them in older POS/specialty boards once in a while. Options for new boards include the aforementioned Deck, plus you can still obtain light grey G80-3000s in German, Swiss and US-Euro layouts with them.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 04 August 2010, 11:08:18 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;209064
As said before, clears are a medium-force switch with a tactile bump that's not terribly sharply defined (as to be expected from the force curve) and is reminiscent of, say, scissor-switch boards or somesuch. Not a bad compromise between noise and tactility.

I have scissor-switch boards and they are lighter than my browns (MX11800), so I can't imagine that cherry clears would be anything like scissor-switch?

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 04 August 2010, 12:04:24 »
Quote from: paardvark;208461
My local library has a REALLY old computer tucked away in the back, which I wanted to check out. I asked the librarians if it was ok, and after a minute of them staring at me like i was crazy, they agreed to let me have a look. Under closer inspection, I saw that the "keyboard" was just some kind of non standard layout numpad with some sort of mechanical keyswitch inside. After prying off one of the keys, I found to my surprise that underneath its ugly white exterior, the numpad held cherry clears!

I was really excited at first, since I wasn't sure if any real keyboard actually used them. So I typed for a bit and to my dismay, the typing experience was kind of bad. I had attacked them with the same mentality i had when i had my compaq with cherry browns, but found that the tactility was very lacking. While I've never actually tried a keyboard with mx blacks (besides the ones that they have at the best buy counters) , I can imagine that this is what they feel like, since the tactility in the clears was almost nonexistent. I can assume that the reason that they are not more popular is that they not only provide a mediocre typing experience, but they also are not fit for POS environments.

Probably a Cherry MY switch, they're common in POS boards and have a clear stem. They're some of the worst switches I've ever typed on.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 08:51:11 »
Quote from: pfink;208459
The only one I can think of is the Deck Legend Tactile.

Yep, the Legend Tactile comes with white aka clear switches. I'm actually typing this message on it. Clear are my next favorite switches after the 55g Topre. I'd say the "worst" mentionned above is a matter of taste.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 August 2010, 09:05:39 by BucklingSpring »
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 09:25:06 »
Sometimes I see people refer to clear switches as 'cherry mx white (clear)'. Is there a difference between cherry white and clear switches or are they the same switch?

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 09:37:47 »
Quote from: ripster;210354
Unless you have a very rare vintage Cherry keyboard they are talking about Clears.  The true Cherry White is clicky and quite rare

See the Cherry Switch wiki for details.

And I would have bought a Deck Legend with the Clears if they only had made a tenkeyless version.  Getting a G80 in the US seems impossible.

I was curious about the Cherry G80-8200LPBUS that stickemup has up for sale in the wiki. I contacted and asked him if they were clear but he said 'no, they are whites'.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 18:19:00 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;210347
I'd say the "worst" mentionned above is a matter of taste.

No really, MY switches are truly horrible. Their only saving grace is that their keycaps fit the MX switches, and that makes doubleshots easier to find. :)

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 00:55:06 »
I got mine from here.

I like MX clears better than any other switch so far. Nothing like black ALPS or MX brown. The tactile profile is identical to the gray space bar switch on some MX brown boards, though the spring is somewhat lighter.

Ripster, can you tell what part of the switch wears out over time? I suspect it's the leaf spring that rides the stem's tactile profile. Have you tried swapping a new and used stem?
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 07:46:21 »
Quote from: 1839cc;210817
I got mine from here.

I like MX clears better than any other switch so far. Nothing like black ALPS or MX brown. The tactile profile is identical to the gray space bar switch on some MX brown boards, though the spring is somewhat lighter.

Ripster, can you tell what part of the switch wears out over time? I suspect it's the leaf spring that rides the stem's tactile profile. Have you tried swapping a new and used stem?

Interesting...does that board have n-key rollover? I have a feeling I would like the clear switches a lot.

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 10:41:24 »
Yeah it does.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 10:46:57 »
Quote from: 1839cc;211390
Yeah it does.

Are you 100% sure? :D
If it has nkro, I'll probably buy it.

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 11:10:59 »
Yes I am.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 11:21:42 »
How do the Clear switches compare with the 55g Topres?

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 08:56:46 »
Quote from: 1839cc;211402
Yes I am.

Does the nkro only work with the PS2? If you use a PS2-USB adapter will it still work? Thanks in advance!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 08:58:31 »
USB only supports 6-KRO.  It's a limitation of the USB HID Driver.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 09:32:24 »
On Filco's USB to PS2 passive full NKRO works.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 09:40:17 »
Based on the fact Deck says to get PS2, if you want full roll over, do Filco's beat Deck in that regard?
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq