Author Topic: Need advice on faulty PCB.  (Read 2327 times)

Offline WildDash

Need advice on faulty PCB.
« on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 11:10:39 »
First of all sorry for my English. I own a motospeed ck61 with red outemu switches. It's overall good both for writing and gaming but it came with 3 faulty switches. I bought them and resolder them, but i think i damaged the PCB because it wont register the right shift and I use it quite often (I mean I still have the left shift but it's more comfortable using the right one for caps and other symbols). How do I fix the PCB, it's not the new switches, I tried 5 of them on the right shift and none would work. Any advice?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Need advice on faulty PCB.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 11:21:43 »
As it's not a custom there is no way of knowing out what should be connected to what without seeing it so you'll have to post a picture of the back of the board, hopefully the maker was sane and friendly and we can work it out.  If it's black or white try and get the traces to show up in the shine of a light or the flash (hopefully it's not as this is not easy)

A couple of wires at most will get it back working :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline WildDash

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 19:01:11 »
The faulty key is the one next to the thing that says D53. We can say that it is in the middle of the photo.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 00:17:37 »
It's red - great.  The designer looks to have been on drugs (as is scarily common...) but he(?)'s left some clues so it's not too hard.

The bottom/right pin on the switch connects to the bottom of the diode D53 (this looks ok), that then connects to Caps Lock above.  The top/left switch pad looks like it's missing as the solder is in a ball so we need to work out where it connects to.

Download Aqua key test and plug in the USB, then try shorting (you can use anything conductive - scissors, bent paperclip, any wire...) the top/left pin of /? on the other side of the chips to the bottom of D53 - if that gets you a shift solder a wire between that pin and the broken one.

If that makes no sense (it's hard to describe in my first language let alone a second) let me know and I'll add some dots :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2020, 00:41:01 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline WildDash

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 00:37:32 »
Would you kindly explain with graphics, it's really hard for me to understand what is "/?" I would be much obliged.

ps. by short you meant make a bypass? or shunt
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2020, 00:47:14 by WildDash »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 00:45:06 »
Will do, I've just arrived at work so give me ... 10 hours?

/? is usually the key next to shift but as your keyboard probably isn't English it probably isn't.  Didn't think of that as it's first thing in the morning
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline WildDash

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 00:47:46 »
Please read my edit

Offline WildDash

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 00:54:55 »
You Sir are a genius. Much obliged. I tried the shunt with a wire and it worked so hard it gave me the advertisment when you click shift a lot of times. Im going to solder this and brb.

Offline yui

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 01:24:27 »
still half asleep and manages to fix someone's keyboard :) nice work
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline WildDash

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 01:38:34 »
I came with a problem. When i make the wires touch it registers. But when i solder and click the switch it wont register. As far as i know this switch is new, but it could be another faulty switch.

Offline yui

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 01:56:17 »
just a stupid suggestion, but did you use flux of new solder when you soldered your wire? else you may have a "dry" joint that make no electrical contact, and if you have a multimeter put it in resistance mode (“Ω”) and if the resistance when the switch is pressed is not 0 or very close then you have a likely dead switch on your hands, if you can try to reduce the temperature on your iron and solder one that read good.
either way good luck.

Offline WildDash

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 02:07:16 »
Okay I give up. I will explain exactly what I did. The first shunt that I made worked. And I mean everything, the switch worked when pressed. But I'm a newbie at soldering and the solder I made was ugly so I thought, now that I know it works I will make it more steady and beautiful so that it dont desolder by movement. So i desolder it and made it good looking and that is when it stopped working and now if I use the shunt it detects that shift key is pressed all the time. Seriously that is all that I did. I tried other switches since i dont own a multimeter and it didn't work. So, when i use the shunt only soldered on one side and try it on the other side it works, it registers shift and if i let go it stops registering. But if I solder both sides, it registers as if I am pressing shift all the time. Maybe I damaged the pcb part where the switches pin go, i mean the two holes. I took a pic of it. It's late here where I live. Maybe when I wake up you are available.

In photo: SWITCH IS REMOVED. I don't own a desolder pump, sorry. The D53 shunt solder is fine, it looks like it is loose but it works.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2020, 02:08:55 by WildDash »

Offline yui

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 02:24:16 »
both SO and me are in Europe, so it is the morning here

I attached a photo to try to make it easier to explain, if you shunt to the end of the green arrow, it should register as long as it is connected, if you shunt to the blue arrow, it should only register when the key is pressed, else it is one of the solder remnants on your board that is shorting something, or that your switch got overheated when you soldered and melted inside.
and a thing that can work to remove excess solder is to use a wet sponge to clean the tip of the iron (when hot, if you have a simple non controlled iron, may be up to 500°C) and remelt the solder on the board, although it will damage your tip(thermal shock) and may damage the board, if you have house wiring lying around, the flexible kind, you can also use that to soak up the solder (remove some insulation 1st though, and not when it is in use, i am talking scraps or leftovers), less damaging to the iron

Offline WildDash

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 02:53:45 »
I will try tomorrow but just to be clear: I should solder one side on the blue arrow, which is where one of the switch pins go and the other on the top left pin of the /? Key? Not on D53?

Offline yui

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 02:56:54 »
the side that is soldered on the photo is correct, you do not need to touch it, the other side does go to the "free" pin, not the one with the diode, else the keyboard will see the switch being pressed at all time

Offline WildDash

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 03:14:16 »
In the photo, both sides are soldered. One to the top left of /? Key and the other to D53. So I desolder the part that is soldered to D53 and put it in the top left pin of shift key? Like top left of /? With top left of shift?

Offline WildDash

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 03:15:43 »
I appreciate your patience as I do not know anything about circuits, I study Medicine.

Offline WildDash

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 03:27:04 »
I MADE IT, THANK YOU BOTH!!!!

Offline yui

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 06:09:48 »
I appreciate your patience as I do not know anything about circuits, I study Medicine.
well medicine is much more complicated, and you can't ask around on forums when your patient is between life and death :) continue that route, much more useful right now