Author Topic: Avant Prime keyboard typing double, even after cleaning!  (Read 2071 times)

Offline armani

Avant Prime keyboard typing double, even after cleaning!
« on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 13:44:57 »
Dunno what's wrong with it

The problem I'm talking about is let's say I single press "g," but I end up typing two, three, or four g's with one singular keypress.

I forgot I had it but I cleaned it very, very well a little under a year ago. Forgot to post updates from my earlier-est thread about this keyboard (forgot my password lol) but I opened up the keyboard and completely dismantled it. No evident spills from the past or anything and the circuitry board itself looked extremely clean and almost unused.

The only thing I haven't done is replace the switches themselves, but it doesn't matter as its doing this with all of them, so I don't know what the deal is.

I'm pretty desperate to get this keyboard working tbh, does anyone know any possible solutions?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Avant Prime keyboard typing double, even after cleaning!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 03:58:26 »
All switches playing up sounds like a controller issue, unless this is an R1 Zealio switch build whrer the switches were overheated (which was very easy, I know because I did it)

You didn't say what the keyboard is but if possible you could try adjusting the debounce time in the firmware.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline armani

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 13:04:08 »
All switches playing up sounds like a controller issue, unless this is an R1 Zealio switch build whrer the switches were overheated (which was very easy, I know because I did it)

You didn't say what the keyboard is but if possible you could try adjusting the debounce time in the firmware.
It's a CVT Avant Prime with white ALPS, I went into the firmware and unfortunately it seems like there isn't a debounce option that I can see

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 13:20:16 »
i wonder if you could try a usb to usb converter.  Maybe it would have debounce built in and throw out the chatter?  Then run PS2 to usb to converter?

https://www.1upkeyboards.com/shop/controllers/usb-to-usb-converter/

I mean, that's kinda giving up on the keyboard since you are spending a lot for a fix when you could buy another, but if you really like it and want to continue using it...

also, are you using it native ps2 or an adapter?
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 December 2020, 13:22:23 by pixelpusher »

Offline armani

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 12:22:12 »
i wonder if you could try a usb to usb converter.  Maybe it would have debounce built in and throw out the chatter?  Then run PS2 to usb to converter?

I mean, that's kinda giving up on the keyboard since you are spending a lot for a fix when you could buy another, but if you really like it and want to continue using it...

I happen to be using a PS2 -> USB adapter. I have many other old(er) keyboards that work fine that way, and I might try this controller at some point, but since it's quite a lot, it might be a last resort

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 16:25:56 »

I happen to be using a PS2 -> USB adapter. I have many other old(er) keyboards that work fine that way, and I might try this controller at some point, but since it's quite a lot, it might be a last resort

It worked fine before with that adapter?  I ask b/c I also have a lot of boards that run fine with an adapter, but my SIIG minitouch will not.  I always get extra keystrokes.  The only way I got it to work over USB was with a Soarer's converter.

Offline armani

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 10:54:07 »

It worked fine before with that adapter?  I ask b/c I also have a lot of boards that run fine with an adapter, but my SIIG minitouch will not.  I always get extra keystrokes.  The only way I got it to work over USB was with a Soarer's converter.
It worked pretty much the same regardless of the adapter, I also tried it with my desktop computer (has a PS/2 input on it) and it does pretty much the same