Author Topic: Cherry MX RGBs loose. Is it normal?  (Read 1577 times)

Offline ethereal

Cherry MX RGBs loose. Is it normal?
« on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 16:34:48 »
Hi.

I have a Varmilo VA87 RGB that comes with Cherry MX RGB switches (blue ones and plate mount type, I think). These are the ones transparent that work fine with RGB lights.

I've noticed that the switches on my keyboard are a bit loose. They have 2 parts, one at the bottom and one at the top, and they are not perfectly fixed. This is, if you move the keycap slightly to the right or to the left, the upper part of the switch will also move a bit (the lower part remains fixed to the keyboard's plate). Is this normal?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2021, 08:10:58 by ethereal »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Cherry MX RGBs loose. Is it normal?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 16:39:12 »
Hi.

I have a Varmilo VA87 RGB that comes with Cherry MX RGB switches (blue ones and plate mount type, I think). These are the ones transparent that work fine with RGB lights.

Before buying this keyboard, I tried MX blues with a switch tester, that had non-RGB ones (these are black).

I've noticed that the switches on my keyboard are a bit loose. They have 2 parts, one at the bottom and one at the top, and they are not perfectly fixed. This is, if you move the keycap slightly to the right or to the left, the upper part of the switch will also move a bit (the lower part remains fixed to the keyboard's plate). Is this normal?

Cheers!

Fairly normal, yes.  This is the main reason for switch films, which help to fix the problem. 

Add material between the switch top and bottom and then they are tighter and cannot move.

In your situation, there's not much you can do since the switches are soldered in.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 16:43:14 »
Yes that is normal to an extent. That is what we call switch top wobble & why a lot of enthusiasts film their switches. I personally have no experience with Cherry's RGB variants, but can attest to regular black housing Cherry switches having some wobble when not filmed. Since filming is the only thing that can improve it, I'd suggest you try to live with it on that board. Unless it really bothers you enough to desolder the whole board & film the switches.

Offline ethereal

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 17:09:47 »
Thanks for your answers!!

I had tried the non-RGB ones with a switch tester and didn't find so much wobble. So I was wondering if perhaps there was some issue with my keyboard, but now I see it's perfectly normal.  ;)

The issue doesn't bother me a lot. I don't think it to be worthy of all that soldering work.

Does this wobble issue happens with other brands (Gateron, Kailh, etc.)?
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2021, 08:12:12 by ethereal »