Author Topic: Is it normal for Gateron Blue to register keystroke after click?  (Read 1611 times)

Offline jhiggs

Is it normal for Gateron Blue to register keystroke after click?
« on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 17:35:44 »
I've just put together a new keyboard using Gateron Blues and I've noticed that often, my keystrokes are going unregistered despite hearing the click. I can easily reproduce the problem by slowly pressing a key until I hear the click and I need to press it a fraction further before a keypress is registered.

I checked whether a keyboard running Cherry Blues did the same, but that registers a keystroke at the instant it clicks.

Do others with Gateron Blues have this issue? Does it improve with use?

Thanks.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Is it normal for Gateron Blue to register keystroke after click?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 18:23:05 »
I find this strange. AFAIK, Gateron Blue operates with the same kind of mechanism as Cherry MX Blue, and it should be the element that provides the click that also provides actuation.

This issue is common in many other switch types though. Is it some special kind of Gateron Blue switch you have?
🍉

Offline jhiggs

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 20:13:46 »
> Is it some special kind of Gateron Blue switch you have?

Not as far as I know. They seem pretty normal to me. I'm also surprised that this is even possible. I'll pull one apart and see how it works.

Offline jhiggs

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 20:27:46 »
I can see that the contacts move in a little more after the click. I can probably fix it by bending the center contact bit out slightly. I'll give it a try on one key and see how it works. It's a pretty crappy job to try and fix it on every single key.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 20:57:54 »
Hmm.. You can open switches? Is it a hot-swappable board you have?
🍉

Offline jhiggs

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 21:17:13 »
These have a clear top, so I could actually see what was happening without opening them. I opened one of the spares that isn't in a board to see how it works. I'll play around tonight and see if I can make one work more reliably by bending the contacts.

Offline jhiggs

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 03:13:13 »
No luck with bending the contacts. The problem is the plastic bit that slides up and down the stem isn't moving low enough to clear room for the contacts to touch. I tried filing plastic away to increase the travel but nothing I did made the problem any better (or worse).

Every single one of these switches is the same so it's either a bad batch or just the way they are.

I bought them on AliExpress about a year ago so I expect some others must have come across this problem by now too.

I'm doubt I'll be able to fix them so I've bought a bag of Cherry's to replace them.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 10:20:34 »
You better just buy another pack of better switches instead of trying to bend/file every switch and try to be consistent to be honest, you can give clickbar switches a try , they have crisp sound and tactility.
My Kailh Box Pinks accuate exactly when the click happens.