Author Topic: Today's Haul  (Read 2306 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Today's Haul
« on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 15:46:53 »
I was managing the computer garbage at work today and scored the following items:

1. GCC Technologies Elite 12/1200 Laser printer with 5 half-full toner cartridges
2. 2 Superdisk drives
3. An old iMac DV
4. Epson PowerLite S4 projector without a lamp
5. Some speakers
6. A Microsoft mouse

I cleaned up the printer and it runs great. I'll probably get a lamp for the projector off eBay.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline hyperlinked

Today's Haul
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 15:50:32 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;211076
4. Epson PowerLite S4 projector without a lamp

I cleaned up the printer and it runs great. I'll probably get a lamp for the projector off eBay.

If anyone out there knows of ways of scoring projector lamps for less than $200, I'm all ears. A new lamp for an Epson PowerLite S4 basically costs about as much as a used projector without the bulb.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Today's Haul
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 15:53:49 »
There's one on eBay for $130. I might not bother though.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Today's Haul
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 16:17:27 »
The other day I was out examining the usual dumping areas that I scour for parts. There were some old CRTs, some old Pentium II/III class machines, some old printers, a stack of generic keyboards, and at the bottom of it, the familiar silhouette of a Model M. So I move aside the keyboards on top of it, and savored the blissful split second before -

"****ing clones..."

Some Maxiswitch rubber dome keyboard convincingly shaped like a Model M at the top. Went off empty handed.

Offline EverythingIBM

Today's Haul
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 16:36:06 »
Quote from: ch_123;211096
The other day I was out examining the usual dumping areas that I scour for parts. There were some old CRTs, some old Pentium II/III class machines, some old printers, a stack of generic keyboards, and at the bottom of it, the familiar silhouette of a Model M. So I move aside the keyboards on top of it, and savored the blissful split second before -

"****ing clones..."

Some Maxiswitch rubber dome keyboard convincingly shaped like a Model M at the top. Went off empty handed.

No IBM stuff at all? hm.

I used to enjoy going to car junkyards, a lot of nice cars there that were being thrown out (my dad went to get a new seat for his pinto years back -- apparently pinto seats in good condition are a rarity now). I found some really cool decals, went the next day to pull them off and someone already did... I think it was on a mercedes benz.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Today's Haul
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 16:36:09 »
Quote from: ch_123;211096

"****ing clones..."

You should take a look at those printers. If they're big then they're probably laser printers. Laser printers last forever. Mine's printed over 60,000 pages and is still working good as new.

Old laser printers are also a haven for toner scavenging. Many people unknowingly throw away printers with toner cartridges, which could have several thousand pages left in them.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 August 2010, 19:50:13 by microsoft windows »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Today's Haul
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 16:40:20 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;211104
No IBM stuff at all? hm.

I used to enjoy going to car junkyards, a lot of nice cars there that were being thrown out (my dad went to get a new seat for his pinto years back -- apparently pinto seats in good condition are a rarity now). I found some really cool decals, went the next day to pull them off and someone already did... I think it was on a mercedes benz.

There was a twin P3 eServer a few weeks ago. It wasn't in good condition, and it wasn't interesting enough to be worth saving.

A few months ago, my college tossed out a load of IBM rack servers - mainly twin Pentium 4 Xeon ones that could take something like 8 hotswappable SCSI drives, and one or two twin Opteron units that were much smaller. I helped carry one of the bigger ones on a 5-10 minute walk to where we could store it safely. The thing weighed something like 30Kg... even with two people, and the short journey, it was a nightmare to carry.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Today's Haul
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 17:44:31 »
Dual xeon servers...those sound nice! Server RAM is cheap so if you chuck some RAM into it, it should handle Windows 7 quite nicely.

Offline D-EJ915

Today's Haul
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 19:42:55 »
server 2008 runs fine on my 2x1.4 P3 system, just make sure you have enough ram