Author Topic: New to the forums and to mechanical keyboards  (Read 885 times)

Offline jehan60188

New to the forums and to mechanical keyboards
« on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 11:20:43 »
A few days ago I saw an ad on FB for a 6-key Kickstarter kit (I won’t link the Kickstarter (but have an affiliate link if you want to pm me) since I don’t want my first post to be spam) that seemed to streamline a project I’ve had in the back of my head for years now. It sparked something in me and I went deep down the rabbit hole and finally discovered the words I’d been looking for- “mechanical keyboard”

I guess I like old/mechanical things. I wear an automatic watch and my primary writing tool is a fountain pen. I write letters on a typewriter and do most of my woodworking with hand tools. So a mechanical keyboard just seems to make sense!

Anyways I’ve started printing the sick 68 kit, and ordered some keys, diodes, and switches off of a few websites (eBay Amazon mechanicalkeyboards.com). Really looking forward to rebuilding my soldering skills (mechanical engineers don’t get to solder much)!

I’ll probably start with a single button thing keyboard, then a fun little number pad before moving on to a 65% (I guess 68%). Also hoping to design and laser cut my own cases (similar to the adage unit rainbow pibow) out of wood!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: New to the forums and to mechanical keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 14:30:52 »
Welcome :)

Laser cut cases are cool, I like the ones sprit used to have.
I wouldn't try to buy anything directly from em these days though.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!