Author Topic: Have An Old Smartphone?  (Read 3635 times)

Offline itlnstln

Have An Old Smartphone?
« on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 16:39:32 »
Here is something I posted in another thread, and I decided to make my own thread about it, because I thought it was pretty cool, but I'm lame, so what do I know.  Check it:

Quote from: ItlnStln - Your mom's best friend
If you upgrade your cell phone, and your previous phone has WiFi (Palm Pre to HTC EVO, in my case), you can use the old phone as a portable media device in your home. Even though it has no cell phone service, I can still use Pandora, Sirius/XM, etc. over WiFi. I have my Palm Pre connected to a pair of Klipsch computer speakers in the game room, and it works great as a little Pandora streamer.

Offline Ekaros

Have An Old Smartphone?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 17:05:50 »
Hmm, got Nokia E65 and N810(not realy smartphone) could make something out of them, usualy have used N810 as e-book redeader, not best but decent...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Have An Old Smartphone?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 17:09:00 »
The only old phone I got is a rotary dial telephone from the 30's in my kitchen.

But that does sound like a great idea for getting some more use out of a cell phone. Some people I know got smart phones so I'll tell them about that.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Ekaros

Have An Old Smartphone?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 17:13:56 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;211590
The only old phone I got is a rotary dial telephone from the 30's in my kitchen.

But that does sound like a great idea for getting some more use out of a cell phone. Some people I know got smart phones so I'll tell them about that.

So you don't have to power it yourself? I thought there were ones with crank...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Have An Old Smartphone?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 17:31:54 »
Most telephones just use the power from the phone jack.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline NamelessPFG

Have An Old Smartphone?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 21:25:15 »
Sprint Treo 600. My only smartphone, and I've never activated it, nor would I care to.

I'd probably use my HP iPAQ hx4700 for that sort of thing instead, provided that the media players needed for the Internet radio streams don't somehow fill the meager 64 MB of RAM. (TCPMP works for SHOUTcast and a few other things, but I don't know about Pandora, XM, or Sirius, the latter two of which I thought were satellite radio.)

Even then, I think I'm about to sell the hx4700 and put the funds to an HTC Touch Pro2/ Rhodium W (CDMA variant; still has a GSM modem, also has a built-in 3.5mm jack for headphones, no adapter needed) since they're so cheap now. As much as I like the hx4700, 64 MB of RAM and especially the filesys.exe compaction slowdowns that happen with the NOR Flash used (instead of NAND for devices built specifically for WM5 and later) just aren't cutting it nowadays.

Offline itlnstln

Have An Old Smartphone?
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 06:49:32 »
Sirius/XM has internet streaming, too (Android and iPhone have dedicated apps).  I have the satellite version in my car, and both sound a little crappy.  Pandora is a bit better, and I spend the $36/yr. for the higher quality stream.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Have An Old Smartphone?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 09:56:41 »
Well my HTC Magic is pretty outdated now. But yeah, I realized that all I ever use is data, so never bothered getting a plan in Canada.
Even my calls are VOIP'
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline wellington1869

Have An Old Smartphone?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 12:25:01 »
Quote from: itlnstln;211583
Here is something I posted in another thread, and I decided to make my own thread about it, because I thought it was pretty cool, but I'm lame, so what do I know.  Check it:

nice. could repurpose it as a bedside wifi alarmclock/media player.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Voixdelion

Have An Old Smartphone?
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 August 2010, 08:35:09 »
I Loove my Razrv3xx - just hate getting raped by Att prepaid... but I use it like an ipod and a portable entertainment system!
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Have An Old Smartphone?
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 August 2010, 09:02:14 »
Quote from: wellington1869;211893
nice. could repurpose it as a bedside wifi alarmclock/media player.

Turning cell-phones into clock radios...sounds like a neat idea.