Author Topic: Model M Fan  (Read 836 times)

Offline SGT-Pentium4

Model M Fan
« on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 20:15:00 »
262257-0
262259-1

New to the group. I love mechanical keyboards, especially the early IBM Model Ms. I may have done something sacridge or cool, depending on your point of view..

I use a Silver Label 1390131 (1986) AT style keyboard for my daily driver at home. This particular keyboard has some sentimental value as it was my Great Uncle's. When he passed, I picked this up before anyone else got to it. It has been a few years but I am always afraid of something happening to it.

I was talking to a friend about ordering a Unicomp Classic to use as a replacement. He then offered me another Silver Label 1390131 that was in rough shape cosmetically but otherwise clean and working. I was going to sell it for him but I grew attached to it. I remembered that Unicomp has original Industrial cases for the model M and that got me thinking.. will they transplant a 1390131 into a new case? Sure enough.. they will! So I gave my buddy what he wanted for it and it is on it's way to be a perfect model M (and have a little update in it's style).

Anyway, was it wrong to break up a silver label? LOL.

Offline funkmon

Re: Model M Fan
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 23:47:56 »
Haha! No, I've done the same thing. I've actually done something even worse before. I had them take the internals out of a square badge and put in ****ty unicomp internals. LOL.

Head over to the modelm subreddit on Reddit, there's a bunch of us squares over there.